Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

What games would you like to play online, but have little to no community?

So, obviously I play a lot of Doom online, but in addition to that I love to play Street Fighter 2 and Smash Bros 4 pretty regularly as well.

I was thinking recently that there are a ton of very fun multiplayer games I wish I had access to over the net, but it simply doesn't seem to be possible. Fightcade is an awesome service that lets you play a variety of multiplayer arcade classics online, mainly fighting games but a few shmups and puzzle games as well, but it's missing support for some seriously great old multiplayer hits:

Marble Madness
Joust
The Simpsons
X-Men
NBA Jam
Mortal Kombat 1, 2 & 3
Rampage
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Super Offroad
San Fransisco Rush
Cruis'n USA

I was wondering if you guys have any old games you enjoy and want to play online, but simply don't seem to be able to. Also, if anyone wants to take me on in Street Fighter, I'd be happy to help you get Fightcade set up!

Quake I / II (luckily, Quake III still lives in a form of Quake Live, and I play it from time to time).

Blood.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein / Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein (I actually haven't checked if they're alive or not).

Call of Duty 1 / 2 / 4 / World at War / Modern Warfare 2 / Black Ops I. (stupid, but fun multiplayer)

Crysis (imbalanced, but fun multiplayer)

There are probably more games, but these are all I can recall now.

Pretty much all of the Half Life 1 mods... especially Firearms and Science & Industry.

Do Jedi Knight 2 servers still exist? These games were great for multiplayer, even if with our dial-up it was kinda rare to have a comfortable experience.

Delta Force Xtreme (I just like it for some reason, its more fun to play in terms tactical realism)

Doomkid said:

Fightcade is an awesome service that lets you play a variety of multiplayer arcade classics online

I just downloaded this, nice find.

kuchitsu said:

Do Jedi Knight 2 servers still exist? These games were great for multiplayer, even if with our dial-up it was kinda rare to have a comfortable experience.

Well Jedi Academy does most likely and possibly also JK2 since the source code release and the JKHUB community which has a current source port named OpenJK.

- An online Stalker (a mod is in works though)
- Blood & Gold Caribbean (exists but dead in Australia)
- A Campaign co-op Warband

I think that Survarium is meant to have a PVE mode developed at some point.

Quake 1 (and Team Fortress)
Any Build game
Wolfenstein: ET
Quake 3 (Actually pretty empty, thanks to Quake Live, which I don't have)
Any Doom engine game besides Doom itself
Fortress Forever

Grand Theft Auto 2

If rockstar would release the source code for the game, programmers could develop source ports and better netcode, and other cool features which would fix a lot of the problems with the game, but it has a lot of potential for being an awesome online game.

Diablo 1. Unfortunately that game is less and less usable under Windows (dunno about Wine). Now in Windows 10 I get "Diablo has stopped working" errors after the welcome screen :(

I Downloaded Qtracker and noticed there are still few servers for Blood 2 Expansion, Sadly empty .

capodecima said:

Playing online is bad.

Only if you don't play by the rules.

EDIT: Hey why was capo's post deleted?

Dark Legions
Disciples: Sacred Lands
Warcraft II
Rival Realms
Hexen
Hexen II

Probably other strategy games I'm forgetting that I would theoretically like but don't play so much because the singleplayer AI sucks.
Also in general, people who are willing to experiment more with custom maps beyond just the one or two "accepted good" ones for whatever game would always be nice.

ChekaAgent said:

Quake I / II (luckily, Quake III still lives in a form of Quake Live, and I play it from time to time).

Blood.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein / Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein (I actually haven't checked if they're alive or not).

Call of Duty 1 / 2 / 4 / World at War / Modern Warfare 2 / Black Ops I. (stupid, but fun multiplayer)

Crysis (imbalanced, but fun multiplayer)

There are probably more games, but these are all I can recall now.

For Q2 go here: http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Or here: http://tastyspleen.net/quake/servers/list.cgi

If anything Kingpin mostly, SiN, Heretic, Hexen and its sequel.
And maybe Return to Castle Wolfenstein, mostly because i don't like Enemy Territory.

Doomkid said:

Also, if anyone wants to take me on in Street Fighter, I'd be happy to help you get Fightcade set up!

sf 2? what about 3rd strike? and mortal kombat? is there anyway to play that? as for games that have died online.... not really. Darkstalkers 2 maybie.(edit) ohh, puzzle fighter 2.

Fightcade supports sf 3rd strike, I'm glad to say. Amazingly, it doesn't seem to support MK 1-3.. Yet!

Doomkid said:

Fightcade supports sf 3rd strike, I'm glad to say. Amazingly, it doesn't seem to support MK 1-3.. Yet!

Hell ya I'll have to check that out, as for mk I hope to see umk 3 or at least mk 2, but I'd rather umk 3.

Hit me up if anyone wants a round of Street Fighter with me on FightCade - I've been there for years and I was there even in the old "Kaillera" days back in '02.

One game I really would like to play in deathmatch but never got a chance to was Prey -- I really liked the "shotgun" in that one.

I think "Turtles" was available for online play in something like MAME -- it's a shame if it's not supported in FightCade as I'm also a big fan.

Also; my heart forever aches for how Street Fighter X Tekken lost its online component during the transition from Live to Steam.

Call of Duty 2
Combat Flight Simulator
Sonic Heroes
The Original Mario Kart
Road Rash (would love a reboot of that)

Gemini09 and MrGlide, my Fightcade name is Doomkid as well. Always keen for SF2 and gonna get SF3 once I'm home. I've never given 3 a proper play, gotta fix that.

Quake 3. It's open source, (which Quake Live isn't, though Wolfcamql can play QL demos and is open source), and it's pretty much standardized (which Open Arena, still 0.8.8 with a planned reboot, isn't). Nobody plays Quake 3 AFAIK, except maybe pickup games. Most people who would have played Q3 (which has practically no populated servers) play QL (which usually has dozens of populated servers) or OA (which usually has a couple populated servers).

I can't wait for OA3 to come out. It will probably bring more people to OA.

Any SRPG game. I'm really surprised SPRGs don't offer much in terms of multiplayer. And with the rise of MMOs, there's still no MMO SRPGs that I can find.

And no, I don't mean RTS games.

Speaking of Quake Live a lot of its content such as character models, shaders, textures, sounds, and skin files can be easily modded to the original Quake III Arena. Only its maps so far are incompatible.