Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wovenloaf

Has anyone done a successful blind Nightmare play?

It seems that Nightmare is a difficulty level that not even a lot of expert Doomers can play well unless they already know the map well. Ever seen contrary proof, say, on YouTube? Are you one of these elites?

I don't think anybody has done this and posted it online as far as I know. Somebody probably has, but it's probably really really obscure.

Wow! I don't even think it's possible.
The amount of back tracking in certain areas; with monsters constantly spawning back is a punisher.

What exactly do you mean by "blind"?

Literally blind (playing just by sense of timing and auditory cues), or a FDA (First Death Attempt) run? If the latter, I don't see why not, as the usual FDA rules just require you to produce a demo where you just plough on and on until you manage to exit an unknown level, and multiple deaths are permitted. It would be harder in nightmare, but why impossible?

Maes: Definitely the latter, except without the player dying (or at least without them dying much). I know that may depend heavily on how the level is designed, but I'm just wondering if there have been cases of Doomers with enough skill to plow through a level or even WAD for the first time on Nightmare without having to constantly die/save.

Wovenloaf said:

Maes: Definitely the latter, except without the player dying (or at least without them dying much). I know that may depend heavily on how the level is designed, but I'm just wondering if there have been cases of Doomers with enough skill to plow through a level or even WAD for the first time on Nightmare without having to constantly die/save.

Absolutely no chance to make it without knowledge of the maps beforehand, and not dying.

Edit: Except single levels sure. Some of the IWAD levels aren't that crazy. I was first thinking like doom 1 episode 1 or doom2 in one go.

Even on UV, nobody can absolutely, always guarantee a flawless FDA on an unknown level, which for all one knows may be full of dickish traps. In such cases, the "best" player would be the one that died the least amounts of time, and/or reached the exit with more health on one of his runs, I guess.

The IWAD levels obviously don't qualify for an FDA contest since they are so well known and several players are able to speedrun them by now, unless everybody involved truly never played them before (unlikely with E1, very hard with E2,E3 and Doom 2, plausible with E4 and TNT/Plutonia/NRFTL).

Unless the real question is whether anyone can perform with COMPET-N level of skills on NM in real time and in one go, without dying once, under a controlled environment, even if just on the IWAD levels.