Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

"I'm Not Ashamed"

https://imnotashamedfilm.com/

So apparently we're getting a dramatization of the Columbine incident. Personally, I think enough time has passed that film such as this is perhaps ready to be made, as long as it's handled in some way similar to things like "Schindler's List" or the like.

But the team behind the critically panned "God's Not Dead"? Essentially, the trailer quickly mixes historical accuracy and mythology to give us what appears to be some agenda thing, as if Columbine was a war on God (I guess that at least it's a break from blaming Doom?).

The film focuses on Rachel Joy Scott, the first victim. She was an established Christian, in which case there's nothing wrong with that. But it seems that the film's angle though seems to be making Scott out to be a martyr of some kind, which almost cheapens her death, imo.

However, it could just be the angle of the trailer, and maybe it will be more tactful than I think.

I'm sharing as I just find it rather interesting that this seems to be the treatment that the event is getting, which lookinga t the team behind it, is questioinable at best.

On a side not, I wrote the IMFDB article. There seems to be a bit of an attention to detail in terms of devices used. Curious, really.

I think this is a cheap attempt at making money on murder.

If you want to see a better school shooting movie, watch Elephant.

That being said, I'll still probably see this.

Wow..
My opinion is that those guys just want to cause a controversy. There's literaly no reason other than that to create a film about Columbine shooting. And why such overexageration? (all this 'martyrdom' thing) There's absolutely nothing interesting about Columbine shooting: 2 guys just went postal and killed a lot of people.

What's next? A film about conspiracy theory that Bush did 9/11? Or a deep philosophical film about Virginia Tech shooting?

Upd:

TraceOfSpades said:

I won't. This whole thing is cringeworthy.

So they make a controversy by tackling Columbine. Well, how else are they going to get publicity? Making something good?

Seriously: they take a high school massacre and turn it into nonsense Christian propoganda that is an insult to the victims and their families. Not to mention it boosts the bible thumper stereotype. I bet the majority of Christians do not want to be any part of that idea.

They've managed to come up with something even worse than God's Not Dead? Kudos to them for topping their previous effort in terms of absurdity and insult, I guess.

It sounds like some bullshit to me personally. As Clone alluded to, this angle they're taking cheapens a fucking mass murdering - Absolutely zero tact using a tragedy to push their agenda. There's worse things than this happening out there of course, but I mean.. Goddamn that's tactless.

TraceOfSpades said:

I thought Elephant was incredibly dull.

ChekaAgent said:

There's absolutely nothing interesting about Columbine shooting: 2 guys just went postal and killed a lot of people.

That's not true at all, the FBI still hasn't released the famed "Basement Tapes", and there are still lots of unanswered questions we'll probably never know the answer to, some of which could be in those tapes.

The whole story of those two kids is fascinating, how many times they were almost caught but slipped by unnoticed is kind of mind blowing, and their original plan was 10x more deadly then what actually happened, if you can believe that.

Clonehunter said:

But the team behind the critically panned "God's Not Dead"? Essentially, the trailer quickly mixes historical accuracy and mythology to give us what appears to be some agenda thing, as if Columbine was a war on God

One of these people could sneeze in my vicinity and me not saying "god bless you" to them would be a war on god. Skip this nonsense and watch Elephant, Zero Hour, or Zero Day. Or watch a better documentary on the subject.

CARRiON said:

That's not true at all, the FBI still hasn't released the famed "Basement Tapes", and there are still lots of unanswered questions we'll probably never know the answer to, some of which could be in those tapes.

Well, I'm sure this film won't answer any of those questions.

The whole story of those two kids is fascinating, how many times they were almost caught but slipped by unnoticed is kind of mind blowing, and their original plan was 10x more deadly then what actually happened, if you can believe that.

Ok, in a way it's interesting. I actually heard that, after the shooting, they wanted to hijack the plane and crash into building. They scrapped that plan, but 2 years later.. certain people succeded at that.

But the thing is: this film is not about the shooters, but about the victim of the shooting. I don't see how that would be interesting, especially considering the fact that we already know the ending.
It would be more interesting to see how the shooters prepared for the massacre. (and I think there's a documentary somewhere on it, btw)

ChekaAgent said:

There's absolutely nothing interesting about Columbine shooting: 2 guys just went postal and killed a lot of people.

How this is not interesting?

Well, supposedly, one of the shooters asked the girl (If that's her, or someone else) huddled under a library table if she believed in God and, when she said yes, he killed her. That's the only connection I can see for the attack on God aspect, I think what it was is they were psychopaths that wanted to get back at that school. It's clear by their writings and medications that they were mentally unstable, especially Eric. Supposedly, Dylan was painted as the one just going along with it.

Clonehunter said:

But the team behind the critically panned "God's Not Dead"?

how are these two movies connected? It doesn't look like they share any directors/writers/(actors?).

God's Not Dead was god damn hilarious, will grab the sequel when it's available in some form that doesn't require expending currency. This one doesn't look particularly amusing, bland and distasteful at worst.

Clonehunter said:

[Personally, I think enough time has passed that film such as this is perhaps ready to be made, as long as it's handled in some way similar to things like "Schindler's List" or the like.

Hate to break it to you but there already was a dramatization made back in '04 or so, well over a decade ago at the very least. Pretty sure it's not the only one as well.

Quast said:

Hate to break it to you but there already was a dramatization made back in '04 or so, well over a decade ago at the very least. Pretty sure it's not the only one as well.

You seem to be referring to Zero Hour, a documentary television show. It seems to be a kind of dramatization, with some reading, but it's also a doc (And not a film). Anything else about Columbine directly seems to be a doc. But I haven't really looked for others, and there may be something else out there.

Ribbiks said:

how are these two movies connected? It doesn't look like they share any directors/writers/(actors?).

They are both produced by Pure Flix.

MetroidJunkie said:

Well, supposedly, one of the shooters asked the girl (If that's her, or someone else) huddled under a library table if she believed in God and, when she said yes, he killed her.

Rachel Joy Scott was the girl who was shot on the lan when the boys first arrived at the school. They boy she was with survived, albeit paralyzed, and I believe he said that there were no words exchanged.

This film seems to be mixing the library exchange (which is still unconfirmed, actually. One witness from the library denies it ever took place) and Scott's death together because she was the one martyred from the event (I read/heard somewhere that her funeral, which was broadcasted on television, had more attention than the funeral of Princess Diana [?]). The library exchange, coupled with Scott being the first killed an having been a prolific member of the religious community there (She supposedly attended three different churches, thus being very involved), seems to be enough for PF to warrant the angle that Columbine was an 'attack on Go.'

I'm not saying there aren't films that handle this better, or that other films handling this don't exist (Per my OP comments, I did infer that I believed that the subject was too taboo for any kind of professional, Hollywood dramatization that was directly based on the event, unlike Elephant which, while seemingly based on the subject, uses fictional elements such as names and places). This version of the story, which seems to be a fairly big budget version of the actual event, seems to be insultingly taking this story the wrong way in a manner which may be found disrespectful.

Who knows, though.

TraceOfSpades said:

Man, I really liked Elephant... bleak film. The only music being Fur Elise really added to that vibe.

According to an interview done a few years ago with Richard Costaldo (the aforementioned boy who was with Rachel when she was shot), Eric Harris actually did ask Rachel if she believed in God, though it seems like it wasn't quite as dramatic an exchange as the trailer portrays it here.

https://attackthesystem.com/2012/04/17/the-survivor-richard-castaldo-challenges-the-official-columbine-narrative/

In any case, I remember seeing this trailer some months ago, and seeing a fair amount of backlash to it, mostly because people got the impression the film would glorify Harris and Klebold. People involved in the production have stated (on the film's FB page) that very little of the movie focuses on the shooters, and that the movie is really focused on what Rachel Scott believed, said and wrote.

Anyway, there's a second, recently-released trailer on the film's FB page, and it carries a significantly different tone. Obviously, this is an ideologically-fueled film, but whatever. I may well see it, if for nothing else than the fact that I've long studied Columbine, and I'd be curious to see how they handle portraying the event itself in this film.

Clonehunter said:

Aaah, sucks to have the wrong "facts." Thanks CFreak for the article.

Yep. I thought the story was BS as well until I read the article.

I clicked this cause I didnt know what it will be, and fuck. Again Columbine. I am tired of seeing this shit on Doomworld. Whats so interesting on two motherfuckers that are remembered for butchering innocent people? Remember that if you are feeding your brain with this stuff, it will downgrade you into depressive motherfucker, who sinks in himself. They were not able to fuction and be successful in real world, so you have nothing to learn from them. You would do better, if you watch/read some stories of success about successful people - those will make you better. Masters of Doom come to mind, when we are on Doomworld. Btw at least there is cute girl.

NinjaLiquidator said:

They were not able to fuction and be successful in real world, so you have nothing to learn from them. You would do better, if you watch/read some stories of success about successful people - those will make you better. Masters of Doom come to mind, when we are on Doomworld. Btw at least there is cute girl.

Ignorance at its finest. Lets not ask questions of serial killers and public shooters, and instead stick our head in the sand and just move on, pretend it never happened. Ahh, much better.

Also just because we're on Doomworld doesn't restrict every single thing we talk about, especially in "EVERYTHING ELSE" to DOOM.

Clonehunter said:

They are both produced by Pure Flix.

it's distributed by pure flix, not produced. point being, someone expecting them to be similar (i.e. more comedy gold like god's not dead, (presumably) god's not dead 2, do you believe, etc, which were produced by pure flix and shared writing staff) will probably be disappointed.

I know it's not the point of the thread, so sorry for being pedantic, but this is a special subclass of so-bad-it's-good movies that I find particularly entertaining :)

Carrion:

You get it wrong. My message was: "Filling your head with negative stuff like this will affect your performance in bad way." There are things you can change and things you cannot change. Seriál killers mind is a product of his parents. In every society what you think of, this will happen with some chance. Even in utopia this would happen time from time. You can do nothing about that - so your "head in the sand" metaphor is not on place.
Also, I havent said anything about being off-topic. I just gave you the closest example of positive book/movie considering this website theme.

NinjaLiquidator said:

You get it wrong. My message was: "Filling your head with negative stuff like this will affect your performance in bad way."

By that same logic, shouldn't playing violent video games, watching violent movies and listening to angry, depressive music everyday affect my performance in a bad way? Because honestly I pretty much do just that in my spare time and I don't feel any worse off. If the media and info you consume are affecting you in a bad way, chances are there are more serious underlying issues, not the things you're "filling your head with". Being interested by these two shooters for instance doesn't automatically mean you're idolizing them. Being curious how and why they did what they did doesn't mean I'm praising them. Again if someone is doing that they have other underlying issues, or they're young and edgy. No one here is doing that.

I agree with the fact there are some things we can't change. Seems pretty obvious to me. That's not gonna stop me however, from asking the questions I want to ask, and seeking out answers. I get it if you personally don't care for the subject matter. That's fine, but personally I have a morbid curiosity when it comes to things like serial killers, or the concept of death, and I can stomach the dark things I might reveal to myself just fine. Honestly a lot of people have this curiosity, which is one reason why crime dramas for instance are so popular, especially on TV.

I think it's perfectly natural for us to ask questions about the darker sides of life, the afterlife, how and why someone could take a life. Shit like this is fascinating to me! On the surface, he just looks like a loving husband and father, yet the shit he was doing to people was absolutely brutal.

MetroidJunkie said:

Of this girl or the tragedy in general? Because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGu_31R9bc

Wasn't there a stage where you go to hell in this and face DOOM demons? Also I'm pretty sure the author tried to say his game was trying to send a message, but it sounded like total bull.

Evangelicals will take any negative event and twist it into their "Christian persecution" narrative, while meanwhile controlling the most radical, historical revisionist, fascist party to exist since the 1930's, hell bent on dragging us back to their fictional version of the 1950s where the wimmin wore aprons and the non-white folks knew their place. And if your job didn't pay shit, you kept your mouth shut and worked even harder because that was the American Way.

For evangelicals, not being able to force everyone to agree with them is oppression, and not getting their way in determining how society is run is persecution. Not being able to punish and ruin the lives of people who don't do the things they want them to do is an attack on themselves. The existence of a single atheist is a threat to national security, and the fact that one of them might have been a psychotic school shooter proves how they're all waiting to crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches and slaughter Christians in the streets!

I don't understand how such reversed logic thinking can be bared to broad daylight and not wither immediately under the criticism of a billion angry voices.

Ribbiks said:

I know it's not the point of the thread, so sorry for being pedantic, but this is a special subclass of so-bad-it's-good movies that I find particularly entertaining :)

No, I get what you're saying now. I suppose I was trying to incite a little knee-jerk there. Good catch, and thanks.