Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chipchase

How do you post a review ?

Dumb question, but how to put a review in /idgames/levels/? I have seen a window to do it in the past on someone else's screen, but see nothing now myself. I am using FF with cookies enabled.

Since recently, you must have a Doomworld forum account (which you've just made) and be logged in (which you are now) to be able to comment on /idgames.

Nope, doesn't work. This is what I see after "Bugs":-

Bugs: [whatever]
Rating: [Some stars]
Drop-down menu for star rating choice
"Submit Vote" button
Other people's reviews
WAD author's text

I have enabled cookies on the site in my user settings. As I only joined last week, maybe you must be a member for some time before you can review?

You should see a box below the star rating drop-down menu where you can type. It should look like this:

Spoiler

And then this when you hit "submit:"

*fixed*
Problem uploading to Imgur from phone apparently. They displayed correctly for me lol.

Fonze said:

You should see a box below the star rating drop-down menu where you can type. It should look like this:

And then this when you hit "submit:"

I'm getting "image does not exist" for both of those.

I have the exact same problem that frustrated me and decided to stop caring about reviews at all.

I have the drop down menu for rating, but no box for writting reviews. It just isn't there. I am already logged in Doomworld forums and then in a second Tab I view a doomworld/idgames level.

At some point I tried Mozilla and IE, and have the same problem. There is no login at doomworld/idgames but I assume one has to login in the forums and go to the levels at a second tab.

p.s. Although I realize now, if I logout I will still see a drop down for voting but not review box. This means that at the doomworld/idgames screen even anonymous can vote. It means that while I login from the forums, when I reach the idgames screen I can't be sure if I am still considered logged in.

Optimus said:

I have the exact same problem that frustrated me and decided to stop caring about reviews at all.

I'm coming to the same conclusion. I was thinking of doing some serious reviews, but after looking at existing ones there is an overwhelming noise-to-signal ratio. Some levels get reviews alternating between zero and five stars :-

doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/valfort

doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/vali

Many reviews give a star rating totally at odds with their description of it :-

doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/wolfdm [Top review]

and others say they'll give it x stars and then give it y stars. I've also seen reviews that say a level is crap and buggy but give it 4 or 5 stars "for encouragement".

This one :-

doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/jallaspc

.. even the author says it's crap and it's missing its sky texture, yet it gets over 2 stars with 6 votes; the one visible review gives 0/10 so others have been giving it 3+ stars. WTF?

So you can no longer post as Anonymous like most of the reviews there? By the way, the "'Legendary WAD. 5/5' but rates 3" reviews are hilarious.

Chipchase said:

Some levels get reviews alternating between zero and five stars

That's why many social media sites abandoned numerical/#-of-stars review scoring systems, and instead opted for a simpler "Like/Dislike" system: most reviewers just gave 0 or 5 anyway, very few really pondered the use of intermediate grades.

Yeah, no anonymous reviews anymore which kinda sucks imo. I understand that sometimes they were abused but it wasn't such a serious problem I think? I would sometimes write my more controversial reviews anonymously, now I can't do that.

Maes said:

That's why many social media sites abandoned numerical/#-of-stars review scoring systems, and instead opted for a simpler "Like/Dislike" system: most reviewers just gave 0 or 5 anyway, very few really pondered the use of intermediate grades.

Also many people choose more or less stars than they originally intended to because they want to "counter" the current rating. "What, this is considered a 4 star material? Hell no, I'm changing my 3 to 1 just so that the wad gets a fair rating!"

Well, my frustration was about not being able to see the box, not being able to write a review, just vote for it. I still can't write any reviews, just vote.

But the 0/5 - 5/5 thing was another thing I wanted to mention. I never put a 0/5 in a wad unless it's something like wow.wad. I weight my votes, a mediocre wad can take 2 or 3, but there are people who just put a 0/5 in decent WADs, I don't get it. But that's just what the users makes of it, no complain here.

kuchitsu said:

Yeah, no anonymous reviews anymore which kinda sucks imo. I understand that sometimes they were abused but it wasn't such a serious problem I think? I would sometimes write my more controversial reviews anonymously, now I can't do that.
Also many people choose more or less stars than they originally intended to because they want to "counter" the current rating. "What, this is considered a 4 star material? Hell no, I'm changing my 3 to 1 just so that the wad gets a fair rating!"

Then go ahead and still write them! If you have a controversial review to give, then give it your all! A big problem with level designers, is that there are some arrogant level designers who refuse to even listen to an ounce of constructive criticism.

If it means that modding on the long-run will get better.... then by all means, go for it, don't be shy to post a controversial review. :)

Optimus said:

Well, my frustration was about not being able to see the box, not being able to write a review, just vote for it. I still can't write any reviews, just vote.

But the 0/5 - 5/5 thing was another thing I wanted to mention. I never put a 0/5 in a wad unless it's something like wow.wad. I weight my votes, a mediocre wad can take 2 or 3, but there are people who just put a 0/5 in decent WADs, I don't get it. But that's just what the users makes of it, no complain here.

Maybe those people have a different opinion over what a "decent" WAD is. I can easily see why someone would rate Hell Revealed or Eternal Doom 0/5, especially the latter if they found it a pain in the ass to play with no fun to be had.

The star rating system has been a dismal failure for the most part. If/when I overhaul the whole thing it will probably become a simple thumbs up / thumbs down ratio.

Linguica said:

The star rating system has been a dismal failure for the most part. If/when I overhaul the whole thing it will probably become a simple thumbs up / thumbs down ratio.

It's really almost inevitable with these sorts of systems; it's difficult to incentivise users to give an honest score rather than trying to counterbalance a perceived bias.

I actually preferred when Youtube had a star system as opposed to thumbs up and down because thumbing something up and down leaves you no room for a middle ground. What if you're meh on something? Just don't input at all? What if it's good but not perfect? I'd rather be able to pick a numeric value, even if it's just 1-5.

For what it's worth, I generally prefer a five star system over a like/dislike system. As mentioned by others, there's no option for middle ground with the latter method.

How about thumbs up/down and piggie (Pouet.net style, where it means average?)

p.s. Anyway, the original problem was not solved, review box is missing and still can't write reviews, which is better, more explaining what I like or not about a wad than a vote.

Take a lesson from real-world examples; how about something like Amazon's rating system:

Maybe or maybe not the "Top Reviews" or "Most Recent Reviews," but the bars that show the percentages of people who voted for x. In addition, I think it's important to show how many votes have been cast.

To some degree, it is just as important to look at how many votes have been cast as it is to look at the percentage of good/bad votes. It shows how popular a wad was, even if it wasn't well received. If it is well-received, it will differentiate it between one that was also well-received, but by all of 4 people that played it, if all of that makes sense.

I understand wanting a like/dislike option, but adding a neutral option would be great as well. Its a bit one dimensional otherwise, and often I find I have mixed feelings on wads.

...You do know that the archive format has shifted, right? Go to Downloads (Beta) if you want to leave reviews.