Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom SP Stream Poll

I know there's a reasonable choice behind this but the thing I disliked the most was that they advertised seven levels out of which they only played three or four, coupled by Marty and Hugo's minute long speeches which got fucking tiresome.

That, and they went for the cinematic slow-paced route, again. Wasn't E3 enough fancy shmancy glittering already? They could have chosen to show off the actual speed of the game this time around.

I would vote for an option between 3 and 4 but closer to 3 if there was one. Well, 3 could be fine.

scifista42 said:

I would vote for an option between 3 and 4 but closer to 3 if there was one. Well, 3 could be fine.

Why didn't you like it? . I personally loved it.

Graphics: 9/10. The main thing I didn't like were the holographic people, their body shape and movements didn't pass as "realistic" humans in this otherwise "realistic" looking game.
Animations: 8/10. Generally OK, but often somewhat erratic or confusingly fast.
Architecture: 7/10. A lot of the environments appear generically themed, and for that theme, generically structured and detailed, but sometimes still interesting.
Level design: 5/10. Little usage of the environment's nooks and crannies for the monster's advantage, structural elements rarely affect gameplay any notably.
Gameplay (non-combat): 4/10. Long parts without any combat, the presented non-linearity / exploration didn't convince me if it's of the good/fun kind or not.
Gameplay (combat): 3/10. Monsters attacking blatantly inefficiently, being seemingly easily outsmarted by simple movements, being rendered harmless during certain events, frequent occasions of slowed down pace, no indication of gimmicks other than "keep (somewhat) moving" that could create some fun combat dynamic.

Can't please everyone.

I thought the game play looked great but nobody will really know until they get to try it out for themselves. The enemies seem to reaction too the environment if you pay close attention. Imps are seen firing from walls, barons are ducking when going into low ceiling area's, cyber demon hunches when firing down at you, ect.

Zemini said:

Can't please everyone.

I thought the game play looked great but nobody will really know until they get to try it out for themselves. The enemies seem to reaction too the environment if you pay close attention. Imps are seen firing from walls, barons are ducking when going into low ceiling area's, cyber demon hunches when firing down at you, ect.

Yeah, I wonder how many people will actually give it a chance before condemning the game from the start, which most people already have.

TheMightyHeracross said:

What's going on? "Doomed"? There's less negativity now than ever, from what I've seen.

ThatĀ“s a good point, I was only speaking about the poll.

watstha said:

ThatĀ“s a good point, I was only speaking about the poll.

60% of the votes are for "It was amazing. Can't wait!", by far the most voted option.

If there's anything you should take regarding feedback when dealing with new videogame releases, is that people with negative criticisms will always try and be the more vocal part of overall feedback.

That said, the gameplay was supposed to be recorded on Hurt Me Plenty which is now a slight modification to HNTR/ITYTD with UV being hard, N! being super hard and UN being Iron Man mode.

Zemini said:

The enemies seem to reaction too the environment if you pay close attention. Imps are seen firing from walls, barons are ducking when going into low ceiling area's, cyber demon hunches when firing down at you, ect.

They indeed can do such things. The problem is that they frequently don't, and instead show an incompetence to do any harm to a player standing a step far from them and similar things.

scifista42 said:

They indeed can do such things. The problem is that they frequently don't, and instead show an incompetence to do any harm to a player standing a step far from them and similar things.

Could that possible get changed via through a patch at some point? Could it be likely at all that they tied enemy reaction to difficulty?

scifista42 said:

It's not like monsters in the original were terribly smart.

the issue is these monsters, unlike their pixelated brethren, are programmed to move around and interact with their environments and hurt the player really badly in ways the older games couldn't have them due to technical limitations, but the damage output is unforgivably tame by comparison, and the reaction/attack times on monsters like the revenant and the pinky are downright 'what the hell are you doing, now where are you going?' and stick out like a sore thumb, coupled by the low damage output.

I was scratching my eyes when I noticed the mancubus' fireballs (which are laughably small while we're at it) dealing a staggering 15 damage on a plain naked player while the imps are able to put out 20, probably the same case with the baron.

scifista42 said:

Graphics: 9/10. The main thing I didn't like were the holographic people, their body shape and movements didn't pass as "realistic" humans in this otherwise "realistic" looking game.
Animations: 8/10. Generally OK, but often somewhat erratic or confusingly fast.
Architecture: 7/10. A lot of the environments appear generically themed, and for that theme, generically structured and detailed, but sometimes still interesting.
Level design: 5/10. Little usage of the environment's nooks and crannies for the monster's advantage, structural elements rarely affect gameplay any notably.
Gameplay (non-combat): 4/10. Long parts without any combat, the presented non-linearity / exploration didn't convince me if it's of the good/fun kind or not.
Gameplay (combat): 3/10. Monsters attacking blatantly inefficiently, being seemingly easily outsmarted by simple movements, being rendered harmless during certain events, frequent occasions of slowed down pace, no indication of gimmicks other than "keep (somewhat) moving" that could create some fun combat dynamic.

Martin almost died at least a couple of times, and i wouldn't say he's not skilled, also he was playing on Hurt Me Plenty. Try watching the stream one more time. Actually I would advise everyone who voted 3 to watch it one more time, maybe you'll change your mind. Bethesda are replaying the stream on twitch atm.

Maybe the AI is smarter on higher difficulties. They did say they worked a lot on the higher difficulties.

Almonds said:

I was scratching my eyes when I noticed the mancubus' fireballs (which are laughably small while we're at it) dealing a staggering 15 damage on a plain naked player while the imps are able to put out 20, probably the same case with the baron.

You have to bear in mind the Mancubus has a rapid fire rate compared to the imps 1 fire ball (which the imp will likely move around before making its next attack). Like others have said the game was on a easier difficulty too so you have to take these factors into account.

I can see all this becoming a big problem on the later levels when there is a lot going on with more harder enemies coming at you.

RAGE harder modes kicked my ass so I don't see this being any different.

Also that would be awesome if the game AI was dynamic, I guess this means they learn from your combat ?

archvile82 said:

You have to bear in mind the Mancubus has rapid fire rate compared to the imps 1 fire ball. Like others have said the game was on a easier difficulty too so you have to take these factors into account.

RAGE harder modes kicked my ass so I don't see this being any different.

The hurt me plenty just seems rather weak for a normal difficulty mode though. How big will the ramp up damage or otherwise be though on the harder difficulties? I sort of wonder if there will be anything to increase the amount of ammo you can hold.

DooM_RO said:

Maybe the AI is smarter on higher difficulties. They did say they worked a lot on the higher difficulties.

Hugo Martin just confirmed on gamespot stream that the higher the difficulty the crazier the enemies are. They use more of their stronger attacks on higher difficulties.

Hofmann said:

Hugo Martin just confirmed on gamespot stream that the higher the difficulty the crazier the enemies are. They use more of their stronger attacks on higher difficulties.

Does this include being more active than as seen in the twitch stream? Some of the enemies seemed to be more active then others in the twitch stream though (it seemed like the hell knights/barons of hell were one of the more active ones).

LittleBurger said:

Could that possible get changed via through a patch at some point? Could it be likely at all that they tied enemy reaction to difficulty?

Yes thats' what they said in Gamespot stream. Enemies use havier more advanced attacks more often on higher difficulties.

id.dav said:

Yes that' what Marty said in Gamespot stream. Enemies use havier more advanced attack more often on higher difficulties.

That's good then. The enemies did seem a little to passive/not active enough on the hmp difficulty (even if some of the enemies seemed active more than the others, not counting their telegraphed bouts of pause for the player to attack them).

id.dav said:

Yes thats' what they said in Gamespot stream. Enemies use havier more advanced attacks more often on higher difficulties.

Do you guys have a timestamp perhaps? I must have missed that.