Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

RottingZombie said:

Finished Darkening 2 despite the music making me want to kill whatever clown circus it came from, and also on map15 or so of Back to Saturn X E1.

BTS is amazing, it has huge maps which flow good (i usually hate big maps), relaxing sci-fi music and a great color palette.

I'm on BTSX E1 as well. After Darkening 2 I really needed something with exceptionally good music. I like Darkening 2 though, more than the first even. Next time I'm gonna have to remember to load it up with Jimmy's Jukebox before I save any progress.

Inexplicably got the sudden urge to replay NDCP (on UV this time). It's always been one of my underrated favorite megawads, but I've only ever played through it once. I've played through the first five six maps a few times, though, which is why (I think) it's stuck with me. Funnily enough, I was just thinking about MAP03 the other day, wondering what WAD it was from, and sure enough, I rediscovered it tonight. Good stuff.

currently playing through REVENGER.wad again, this time with Kyle873's Doom RPG mod. Up to MAP11 right now. the megawad is very mod-friendly since the author loves putting weapons in many places.

I remember Maps 01-06 being incredibly long to beat for 100%, with 01 and 04 impossible for 100% secrets. and then MAP02, strangely enough, can be skipped entirely if you know exactly what switches to press and where to go. I remember at least two other levels that can be entirely skipped. might be a good virtue since so many levels are quite long. 07 to 10 aren't as long, but have much more combat (07 in particular having clusterfucks for detail and monsters).

MAP11 is broken without cheats though. I noticed that the Player 1 start is on one end of the map and the other player starts, so I thought it was only solvable on coop, but it isn't the case as the sector tagged 31 (guarding the exit hall), has no linedef associated it. I'll probably just noclip around the level or something then continue on.

Hadephobia, currently on MAP06. Im really diggin the semi-realistic style, for sure its going to be one of my favourite WADS.

up to MAP26 with REVENGER.wad and DoomRPG mod now.

11, yeah, there's a lot of broken parts making it unwinnable by any means. 12-15 are some of my favorite maps, despite 12 and 15 being symmetric. 31 and 32 are unavoidable for this MW but they were complete crap anyways. 16 and 17 were cool, 18 sucked cause of these stupid lifts. 19's pretty much just like 15 (the shotgun guys fire from the castle walls). What's the music in that map? 20 is bland but short. 21 puts radial symmetry to the max but still is fun in terms of combat. I know it's possible to skip MAP22 by just pressing the terminal in front. 23 and 24 are okay, 25 went on too long though and was annoying.

edit: actually MAP24 is missing the red key, I forgot to mention that. really sucks to have a required key missing, so that's broken too.

I finished Crimson canyon (nice!). Great maps but I already played three of them in CC2 and 1024.

my REVENGER playthrough's pretty much done. 27 and 29 have S1 Door Open Wait Closes which makes quite a few things have only one shot to finish, and I had trouble getting out of the temple part of MAP29. MAP28 is pretty cool until the backtracking towards the end which was rather bad. then MAP30 has you wait for 5 minutes for a door to open and it's really lame after that. overall, that final stretch is quite displeasing. as a whole, the wad really is bugged with really horrible puzzles and just a few that aren't so horrible. the gameplay when it's there is pretty good, but when fighting cyberdemons and other alike enemies I'm always presented with an invulnerability sphere so it nullifies everything.

dobu probably thinks A.L.T. is peculiar, he's in for a surprise if he even tries to try this.

Getsu Fune said:

dobu probably thinks A.L.T. is peculiar, he's in for a surprise if he even tries to try this.

It sounds interesting. I will play this wad.

NDCP was getting into longer maps, so I decided to lighten things up by moving on to Death Tormention 2. Ha-ha. Nothing light about these; far more brutal than DT1, especially the opening couple of maps.

Back to NDCP, I recently played MAP09, which was where I got hung up for a while on my earlier full playthrough, for numerous reasons (the slaughter-y blue and yellow key arenas, being murdered over and over again in the library, being low on ammo, just found it all-around obnoxious.) I stopped playing it for probably a few months before going back and finishing the entire megawad. That was on HMP; now I'm playing on UV, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it seemed then. Have I just gotten that much better as a player? Didn't make the level any shorter, however: it still took almost an hour to near-max it.

Just finished Alien Vendetta: some damn good levels there and very good soundtrack aswell. The txt file literally say the true: hard but not as HR except few levels, great graphics and some good gameplay, very nice.

Been brushing off my backlog and got up to map07 of Nimrod - Ixnay of the Hombre. At first it seemed a little weird but it doesn't take long to adapt to the new stuff and the maps are fun and absolutely stunning.
Got the urge to play something with classic gameplay as well, so I booted up the recently-discovered Japanese Community Chest Project. I know some maps are incomplete but I got up to Map08 and it's an absolute blast so far.

Ven said:

[...]
Got the urge to play something with classic gameplay as well, so I booted up the recently-discovered Japanese Community Chest Project. I know some maps are incomplete but I got up to Map08 and it's an absolute blast so far.

It is a good study on good enemy placement no doubt. Also Castlevania.

Finished of Death Tormention 3 last night, whew! E4M8 was particularly thrilling, one of the best "descend into hell" sequences I've played. The middle maps (I see now that they're by Kristian Aro) are massive and epic. I also played through Death Tormention 2 before that, which was a nice step up from 1. Good series, but honestly I got tired of fighting all of those barons and cacos (and lost souls!)

Finished Hell Revealed 2, finally. Sure most of the levels are deadly but it was more fun and less difficult to complete then the first chapter. The monster counter is superior then HR but the levels were generally far less tedious to complete.
Most difficult levels has been map 32, 15, 29 (great level, I totally like the concept and the connection with the last map), 28, 27 (those arch-viles traps), 24 (one of my favourite of the set together with map 13, 16, 19). The soundtrack was also very very good.

For the next megawads dunno what to choose between: Kama Sutra, Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited: What do you suggest ?

Replayed E3M5 of BAK2HELL, a rather suspenseful map about evil computer that tries to blind you, hurt you with electricity through the water, etc. A concept level done really well.

COBRA1.WAD, episode 2. The first part is FOREST series, and then a cool base map I never played before.

Deus Vult II. For me THE best .wad ever. I'm going to play some more Japanese Community Project as soon as I will find some more time.

Playing Romero's new map, E1M4B: Phobos Mission Control. Really awesome map and keeps the feel of the classic Episode 1, moreso than his still as good E1M8: Tech Gone Bad. Deserved this after going through the exhausting, yet amazing and fun puzzlers in Eternal Doom.

Playing Tarnsman's Doom II Reloaded alpha. Jesus this is fun (except for map01 lol, zzzzzzz). Easy so far (up to map07), but map06 and map07 had their share of nicely dickish traps.

I assume by "Tarnsman's Doom II Reloaded", rdwpa means Suitcase of Gor, which was originally titled Doom II Redux. Don't remember where the original link was (and I'm too lazy to find it) so I reuploaded it.

Just finished Unholy Realms. Fun wad but quite simple with few surprises. Played the whole thing with freelook and finished the last map in 40 seconds since the IoS had no brain safeguards which is pretty jokes for such a recent wad. Gonna replay some Valiant next since I'm pretty much out of hard megawads to try.

Just finished up Way Too Many Dead Guys. Amazing stuff, not quite sure how it managed to not snag a Caco or even a Runner-Up (to be fair, the competition was pretty stiff, but still...)

Currently 7 maps into Cleimos 2, which is some good old 90's-style Doom II fun.

/idgames random time!

ideth04

This map has no monsters -- I missed that it was a deathmatch wad. It does have a functional layout, however, along with preplaced things. The design is rough, with a lot of unaligned walls, but it is somewhat interesting. If anyone has some spare time on their hands and wants a little exercise, they can consider adding monsters and a progression scheme to this map, as the author has given permission for changes. That would actually make a somewhat interesting tiny community project, I think.

Wish You Were Here

This was quite good. Thematically it's very varied, and every area has some kind of creative representational architecture. I liked the bathroom stalls and my favorite of all was the houses. They actually looked quite beautiful in their simplicity. The main downside is the cramped scale makes a lot of areas somewhat awkward to fight in; a lot of the damage I took was due to being trapped in some part of a room for a short time until killing monsters. But it's an easy level, so that's more of an irritation than anything.

Aboo4

This is a four-map compilation. I played map01. It has custom music that sounds like it was composed by an older person. This guy loves his Gotcha-style spiderdemon-cyberdemon showdowns; the map has two of them, out of 78 monsters. In fact it was kind of hilarious to encounter the first cyber. I was like, "What? In this map?" Many of the areas are overscaled and monotextured, and a few are incredibly cramped. Bob also loves his barrels and his incredibly steep stairs. In fact occasionally there's a setup where you have to climb a million rows of tiny stairs and shoot barrels and then back down quickly before taking splash damage. Quite amusing overall.

University Hell Hall

A representational approach at some kind of dorm hall: there are dozens of identical rooms, each containing a variety of monsters and goodies. Some rooms have one or two monsters, and some are crammed with zombies. This was kind of a dire experience, because I cleaned out every single room, thinking that one of them might contain a key or some other mandatory item. Total tedium. There's some variety, though. After all that you can teleport to what's presumably a university building, with a lecture hall and cafeteria I suppose. At the end, there's a cyber fight in a spacious area. Before warping out, the cyber was in a room with a desk, however, which was amusing.

The highlight: there were a bunch of "closets" in the rooms where the goodies were stashed, and I had opened up several of these and grabbed the goodies. The next time, however, I found one that contained a row of chaingunners! That made me laugh.

FORTRESS 1024

This wasn't the type of map I was digging for! It's a 2006 release from Pcorf, a 1024x1024 map where nearly all of the encounters are teleport traps. In fact it's kind of cute how persistently it pursues that approach. One of the sneaky strengths of a map that's so crammed to the teeth with traps is that some of the encounters are unpredictable, because you think, "Wait there can't be a trap THERE too, on that completely unmarked area." Yes, my friend, yes there is. Everything is trapped in this map! I guess it's not so bad, however, because many of the traps are unmarked, and the intensity can vary drastically -- from non-threatening imp warp-ins to a double trap full of mid-tiers that can be quite imposing in such a tiny space.