Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

The only thing that bothers me about the new DOOM is...

DoomzRules said:

3 sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see demon variants to spice things up a little (one of the main reasons I love Diablo).

2 well, my definition of a scary hell would be the one you see in PSX Doom and Doom 64. Very moody, very atmospheric, and scary-ass ambient music playing in the background *shudders*

1... man that's such a shame too. I was really hoping they'd bring back the Mother Demon from Doom 64.

4? Hmm.... well it's kinda yes and no. I mean I did see that id.dav was able to recreate E1M1 in snapmap. He also showed off what snapmap in Rage is capable of, so that gives me some hope. =3

In Which video did he recreate e1m1 in snapmap?

DoomzRules said:

3 sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see demon variants to spice things up a little (one of the main reasons I love Diablo).

2 well, my definition of a scary hell would be the one you see in PSX Doom and Doom 64. Very moody, very atmospheric, and scary-ass ambient music playing in the background *shudders*

1... man that's such a shame too. I was really hoping they'd bring back the Mother Demon from Doom 64.

4? Hmm.... well it's kinda yes and no. I mean I did see that id.dav was able to recreate E1M1 in snapmap. He also showed off what snapmap in Rage is capable of, so that gives me some hope. =3

I think you're misunderstanding a few things here.

DoomzRules said:

No one other than id has access to snapmap yet. id.dav haven't recreated the UAC map on snapmap (snapmap is not a real editor with vertex edit and stuff..) he used the actual real editor called idstudio which comes bundled with Rage. id software used this idstudio to make Rage game. It's that powerful compared to snapmap.

Marnetmar said:

I think you're misunderstanding a few things here.

No no, what I meant to say is that he made a diagram of what E1M1 would look like in Snapmap, and he made a demonstration of a Snapmap type feature using Rage.

That's what I meant to say. =P

Sorry for the confusion.

Buckshot said:

The arm/hand body armor. It just seems too crysis-esque. Maybe even too halo-esque.

After all the photos, video, and even alpha testing I've seen/done... that's really the only thing I think they should change. The rest of it all feels/looks like DOOM, but once I see that armor on the arms/hands, it breaks that DOOM-level of immersion.

For example, I was just glimpsing over the GI magazine pics, noticing the new pistol, and while the pistol looks pretty DOOM-ish, the ridicously bulky armor on his hands and arm look a little silly. And not silly in a good way. But silly in a bad way (in case you confused my sense of silliness.)

Will it ruin the game experience? LOL. No. But it certainly seems out of place.

Guess I became so use to seeing a hairy arm covered with a glove for too long. Or no glove at all (and less hairy [doom 3]).

Any one else like to partake in this nitpicking?

"The arm/hand body armor. It just seems too crysis-esque. Maybe even too halo-esque" How old are you? You can't be that old if you think Crysis and Halo are the first games to have characters sporting such outfits. "Feels/looks like Doom"? Are you even old enough to make that statement? "DOOM-level of immersion"? You mean like 2d pixelated monsters? Are you even talking about the original doom? I get the strong feeling that the Doom you're talking about is Doom 3.

HUNK said:

"The arm/hand body armor. It just seems too crysis-esque. Maybe even too halo-esque" How old are you? You can't be that old if you think Crysis and Halo are the first games to have characters sporting such outfits. "Feels/looks like Doom"? Are you even old enough to make that statement? "DOOM-level of immersion"? You mean like 2d pixelated monsters? Are you even talking about the original doom? I get the strong feeling that the Doom you're talking about is Doom 3.

Wow lmfao! Just wow. I'm assuming you have absolutely no clue who you're trying to school on some doom info whatsoever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTCp4BvsKM

Here's a start on the fella you're directing you're ridiculous babble towards. Cheers

"How old are you"

Join dates:
HUNK- Apr 25 2016
Buckshot- Feb 13 2001

Plus, Buckshot changed his mind LAST PAGE. If you actually read the thread, you'd realize that there is really no reason at all for that post.

TheMightyHeracross said:

"How old are you"

Join dates:
HUNK- Apr 25 2016
Buckshot- Feb 13 2001

Plus, Buckshot changed his mind LAST PAGE. If you actually read the thread, you'd realize that there is really no reason at all for that post.

Not to mention Buckshot is quite a friendly and very knowledgeable guy here on these forums and respectable as well. Take it easy new dude. Not a great first impression on anyone here.

Buckshot said:

"It's going to be pee-pee pants city here, really soon.... Hi. You're Hunk, right? I'm Buckshot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfXg9UFyug

Now, I'll get back to you in a bit, but I'm busy setting up my HTC Vive right now and trying to track down a miniDP-to-DP cable.

Don't worry, I'll be back.

I'll admit the response and the idea of the impending retort gives me a pretty big smile, but I think patience should be taken on the wee one, he does not know to whom he speaks.

As to the armor, I still wish they went with bare arms instead of the full body suit and kept just a smidge closer to the original Doom guy helmet, but honestly those are nit picks, I'm really digging this new Doom marine.

i think its hilarious that it took a decade for halo fans to realize mr chef looks a lot like doomguy.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Wow lmfao! Just wow. I'm assuming you have absolutely no clue who you're trying to school on some doom info whatsoever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTCp4BvsKM

Here's a start on the fella you're directing you're ridiculous babble towards. Cheers

So you have a man crush on him for having bought a bunch of merchandise. That doesn't change what I said.

Buckshot said:

"It's going to be pee-pee pants city here, really soon.... Hi. You're Hunk, right? I'm Buckshot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfXg9UFyug

Now, I'll get back to you in a bit, but I'm busy setting up my HTC Vive right now and trying to track down a miniDP-to-DP cable.

Don't worry, I'll be back.

***EDIT/UPDATE: I'm still really, really busy with my Vive headset. Once I get done throwing coffee mugs at robots in Job simulator, I'll get back to this. I promise. =D

Oh I'm sure you will...They always come back.

TheMightyHeracross said:

It's like you ignored my post.

No, I didn't ignore it, I just forgot you. And no I didn't feel like reading through what I assumed, and is usually the case would be a circle jerk conducted by haters.

HUNK said:

No, I didn't ignore it, I just forgot you. And no I didn't feel like reading through what I assumed, and is usually the case would be a circle jerk conducted by haters.

Then again it's also like the only part of my post anyone paid attention to was the "how old are you" part.

Circle jerk of haters? This thread hasn't been that at all, it's been pretty civil, actually. And if you read my post, I told you that it was last page, so you wouldn't need to read through it all anyway. The post in question:

Buckshot said:

I have to say, after seeing the new DOOM guy's suit all up front and personal in the new boxart/poster.... it does keep a pretty classic doom guy look and feel, especially in the helmet and chest armor, and now I think it's actually pretty badass looking.

I suppose I judged the design prematurely. My bad.

He even admitted that he judged prematurely, and said that he now likes the armor. All before you even complained about his first post.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Circle jerk of haters? This thread hasn't been that at all, it's been pretty civil, actually. And if you read my post, I told you that it was last page, so you wouldn't need to read through it all anyway. The post in question:

He even admitted that he judged prematurely, and said that he now likes the armor. All before you even complained about his first post.

Now who's not reading who's post?

TheMightyHeracross said:

But I admit I jumped the gun. The internet has made me pessimistic and I apologize.

HUNK said:

The internet has made me pessimistic and I apologize.

I think it's done that to a great many of us. The internet sure is a finicky beast.

No need to apologize to me. I'm no one special. I've been a fan of DOOM since before it was released, I have a nice collection of some rare DOOM things (which might be impressive, but far from the best), and I try to help on the forums where I can.... like all else here.

The thing that ruffled feathers, however, was dashing in and slamming someone who's been around a while and gets along (hopefully) with the other longstanding forum members (and gentlemen, many thanks for defending me in my absence.. it does not go unappreciated) without understanding the context of the situation. I would merely suggest taking caution before such hasty judgement, especially when you're new in town. Also, folks like MrDead... he's a good buddy of mine, was in the Doom alpha since day 1 alongside myself, and is extremely knowledgeful of both old and new DOOM. Try to be more friendly with these folks here, because you might learn something from them.

As for me, I have some very mischevoious/dry/sarcastic humor and I'm also guilty of speaking before thinking and it'll probably be the death of me someday, so I'll have to work on that too. Look forward to great and productive discussions with you in the future, HUNK!

Now, lets get this thread back on track.

Buckshot said:

I think it's done that to a great many of us. The internet sure is a finicky beast.

No need to apologize to me. I'm no one special. I've been a fan of DOOM since before it was released, I have a nice collection of some rare DOOM things (which might be impressive, but far from the best), and I try to help on the forums where I can.... like all else here.

The thing that ruffled feathers, however, was dashing in and slamming someone who's been around a while and gets along (hopefully) with the other longstanding forum members (and gentlemen, many thanks for defending me in my absence.. it does not go unappreciated) without understanding the context of the situation. I would merely suggest taking caution before such hasty judgement, especially when you're new in town. Also, folks like MrDead... he's a good buddy of mine, was in the Doom alpha since day 1 alongside myself, and is extremely knowledgeful of both old and new DOOM. Try to be more friendly with these folks here, because you might learn something from them.

As for me, I have some very mischevoious/dry/sarcastic humor and I'm also guilty of speaking before thinking and it'll probably be the death of me someday, so I'll have to work on that too. Look forward to great and productive discussions with you in the future, HUNK!

Now, lets get this thread back on track.

I can't remember if it was Doom or Wolfenstein that was the first fps I ever played on MSDOS.

HUNK said:

So you have a man crush on him for having bought a bunch of merchandise. That doesn't change what I said.

Umm, no. I was showing you that he knows what the original Doomguy is and knows it very well. And to this:

HUNK said:

Then again it's also like the only part of my post anyone paid attention to was the "how old are you" part.

..not sure if you read your own post, but it was mostly asking how old he was and did appear a bit hostile in this and the following posts toward a guy who knows his stuff. That's all ;)

Anyway now that we seem to be past that..

I'm a fan of the new armor more and more. I've heard rumor that there's quite the backstory to how he actually obtains it and/or how it was made. I personally have had no interest in the spoilers, but those who do have told me it's pretty bizarre. In a good way :)

Well it is bizarre, but ironically it fits the storyline and adds something fresh to to the series

WARNING SPOILERS

Spoiler

Doomguy is from Hell now (well at least trapped in Hell and released on... Mars? meh)

The titan skulls. I can't imagine these things looking all that scary in the face in life, they have these giant eye sockets and narrow jaws. They look more like cat skulls than anything.

Jaxxoon R said:

The titan skulls. I can't imagine these things looking all that scary in the face in life, they have these giant eye sockets and narrow jaws. They look more like cat skulls than anything.

Dude. Really?

I might as well drop my own two cents here.

If there's one thing that's bothered me about the new Doom, it has to be the level design. Don't get me wrong, it's about as nonlinear as you can get, plus the extreme attention to detail that id put in is something to be admired.
But with as much crap Doom 3 got, the levels were slightly more linear, but they felt like real locations. One common complaint with Doom 3 was that it was overtly long, but I feel that this actually worked to that game's advantage, as you had armories, locker rooms, power plants, and corporate offices.

Doom 2016 on the other hand, technically has those, but those areas just feel like they've been reserved for one area and one area only. The levels here feel less like actual locations, and more like glorified arenas to fight in; the later levels are particularly bad about this, and it certainly didn't help that you had those "demonic lockdowns in progress." It's really a shame that we can't get to see more of the Lazarus facility or more of the Advanced Research Complex.
But at least we get to see more of Hell, but even that feels like somewhat of a wasted opportunity, as they could've used the Titan's Realm as the "womb level," but nope, more brimstone and rock, with a little more blood. Plus, I've seen some unused concept art for Hell that would've included some sort of murky swamp, as well as this scary-looking labyrinth.

In other words, Doom 2016 feels like a tiny game compared to Doom 3.

On a side note, the evaporating corpses in Doom 3 was actually a pet peeve of mine, but at least you had lasting zombie corpses. Doom 2016 is even worse about this, as literally every enemy burns away when killed.

Monster placement could be more creative.

Too bad there are no modding tools. There are tons of little changes I would make to the game.

Hi Guys

I just finished the Game. Well i was sceptical at first, but this was one cool game.
I couldnt stop playing, i beat it in about 6 session a 2 hours. Nicely done ID :)

The amount of detail was nice, the music fitted the combat and the monsters look cool.

All in all i give this game a 7.75 of 10.0 points.

And the things that bother me, are those "arenas". Each level consisted of several, while everyone different, arenas. I found that this concept was a little overused. There were not so much enemy encounters and level exploration as in the old games. I also didnt like that i couldnt revisit areas ive already explored for ammo or health.

The level design fits the game, as it is, perfectly, nothing wrong with that. It just a little, well overused. They didnt went the route completly oldschool, but its better than most games ive played lately. I have to say that this game is the best i have played since Alan Wake in 2012 LOL...

Also i missed some catchy songs like in the old games, especially like tracks from Quake II. I know every song in and out ^^

Also i have to admit that i couldnt finish the game in my intented difficulty. I started with Ultra Violence. I got until the first Hell Level. There in one arena, i died about 12 times... Then i had to change the difficulty to Hurt me plenty. But then with that settings it was too easy ^^. i died some times yes, but it was wayyyyy easier than before.I think that the difficulty settings were not balanced very good. But the greatest of all was.........i had to change the difficulty from hurt me plenty to dont hurt me while killing the endboss. I just couldnt do it on hurt me plenty. LOL, a little embarassing, because i play shoothers(like UT, Quake III and CS 1.6) most of the time.

But well, all in all, a very good game. Im sad for the community that there are no real modding tools. I dont know why ID keeps it to them, its not like that they have created, like in the past, the very best engine. Most games today look nice, its not like ID is alone, thats what i cant understand it.

*******ely worth buying

It's becoming apparent to me that most user's just are not fond of the pros and cons of id tech 6, at least with their expectations to doom. At this point I strongly feel id would benefit from explaining the technical limitations of id tech 6 vs the benefits so players have a better understanding of why the engines development has gone the way it has. Particularly the monster and corpse limitations as they are now. To be fair there had been some hints at modding within the alphas code and the game isnt even a year old. Mods are not entirely off of the table yet. I understand how important it is to keep things under wraps but it seems that id not openly talking about some of these details is hurting the perception of the game a tad.