Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Level design seems quite promising.

Yup! I was really impressed and surprised with the first level they showed. The levels seem large and complex! I'm really happy with the level design as well!

Yes, you can see many open and interconnected spaces that give you a good degree of freedom on how you approach combat situations.

I'm happy that they're taking the time to implement things like auto-map stations and secret areas. Having chunks of a map be completely optional is what I love about Classic Doom maps, it gives you a reason to look around but you can still go the straight path blazing if you want.

Looks very good!

Especially since it seems like the first levels already are quite big!

It will be interesting to see if we actually backtravel to maps we have been before (I'd like that, but I know others don't), and new areas open up.

Story wise, it could happen, as there is one structure which quite alot of story revolves around. Will be interesting if this is one map we revisit, or several maps.

14 days...that's...too long!!!

tuo said:

Looks very good!

Especially since it seems like the first levels already are quite big!

It will be interesting to see if we actually backtravel to maps we have been before (I'd like that, but I know others don't), and new areas open up.

Story wise, it could happen, as there is one structure which quite alot of story revolves around. Will be interesting if this is one map we revisit, or several maps.

14 days...that's...too long!!!

12!

Seeing an automap in a modern 3D shooter is really cool, it's also welcoming to see in said automap that the levels aren't just straight lines laced with cutscene checkpoints.

DooM_RO said:

I'd really like to hear what veteran mappers think of the level design.

I always wondered what the original id guys would think about this game myself.

MrDeAD1313 said:

In an interview a few weeks ago Romero was asked about the new DOOM and he said something like "I see there's a Beta out now....it doesn't seem to do anything new...but I have to try it out for myself".

It's towards the end of this video:

https://morgenbladet.no/hendelse/doom-og-musikk

MrDeAD1313 said:

I meant prominent mappers from Doomworld like Skillsaw, Esselfortium, Tarnsman, 40oz etc.

I hope at least some of these will make a review, preferably something on the front page.

tuo said:

Okay, of we can start the game at 0:01 :) That would be great, actually :)

Steam store page, as with any game on steam, has a countdown until it unlocks, accurate to the hour. Looks like it'll unlock at ~8am GMT (midnight PST) on the 13th, currently.

The unlock time has been known to be tweaked in the run up to release before though so take it with a pinch of salt.

Do the enemy corpses persist? The old school open plan maps are nice to see

I'm honestly really excited at this point. A lot of the level design reminds me of classic DOOM.

Wally said:

Do the enemy corpses persist?

In this day in age, entity and AI containers cost far too much RAM for that to ever be feasible.

DooM_RO said:

I meant prominent mappers from Doomworld like Skillsaw, Esselfortium, Tarnsman, 40oz etc.

I hope at least some of these will make a review, preferably something on the front page.

I knew what you meant. Thats just something I always think about is all.

Edward850 said:

In this day in age, entity and AI containers cost far too much RAM for that to ever be feasible.

?
How hard can it be to have an object lying on the ground?
There are tons of little details on walls and stuff.
It could become less detailed than an alive monster. But at least something would be nice.

Cyanosis said:

Seeing an automap in a modern 3D shooter is really cool, it's also welcoming to see in said automap that the levels aren't just straight lines laced with cutscene checkpoints.

It actually gives me a Metroid Prime vibe, along with the apparent database of the enemies. Guess that goes along with what the OP said.

MetroidJunkie said:

It actually gives me a Metroid Prime vibe, along with the apparent database of the enemies. Guess that goes along with what the OP said.

Which is awesome! I've always seen parallels with Metroid and Doom... to see a Metroid Prime-esque influence on the new Doom is pretty cool. Especially considering I grew up with Metroid Prime on the good ol' Nintendo Gamecube. The Gamecube was a great console... *reminisces about old times*

Anyway, back on topic the level design looks fantastic. I was worried that it would only consist of arenas and there wouldn't be any open-ended exploration or corridors with small amounts of enemies, but when I found out that the arenas are limited to Gore Nests that instantly made me happy.

The Gore Nests themselves are cool and remind me of a skate park more so than an arena like in Serious Sam or Painkiller.

Instead of forcing you into it and being uncool about it *cough cough* Serious Sam and Painkiller *cough cough*, they just kinda let you know that it's part of the game, and it's more reminiscent of a skate park from Tony Hawk than anything else IMHO.

I feel that the level design could use a little bit of a Romero influence... but hey maybe there is some Romero influence and I just don't see it.

Ah well, the Metroid Prime-esque feel is already a plus in my books. I'm a huge Metroid and Zelda fan. So if it's open-ended and diverse in environments like Metroid, Zelda, and of course Classic Doom.... that's a big win-win for me and for everyone here. =)

DoomzRules said:

Which is awesome! I've always seen parallels with Metroid and Doom... to see a Metroid Prime-esque influence on the new Doom is pretty cool. Especially considering I grew up with Metroid Prime on the good ol' Nintendo Gamecube. The Gamecube was a great console... *reminisces about old times*

Anyway, back on topic the level design looks fantastic. I was worried that it would only consist of arenas and there wouldn't be any open-ended exploration or corridors with small amounts of enemies, but when I found out that the arenas are limited to Gore Nests that instantly made me happy.

The Gore Nests themselves are cool and remind me of a skate park more so than an arena like in Serious Sam or Painkiller.

Instead of forcing you into it and being uncool about it *cough cough* Serious Sam and Painkiller *cough cough*, they just kinda let you know that it's part of the game, and it's more reminiscent of a skate park from Tony Hawk than anything else IMHO.

I feel that the level design could use a little bit of a Romero influence... but hey maybe there is some Romero influence and I just don't see it.

Ah well, the Metroid Prime-esque feel is already a plus in my books. I'm a huge Metroid and Zelda fan. So if it's open-ended and diverse in environments like Metroid, Zelda, and of course Classic Doom.... that's a big win-win for me and for everyone here. =)

Yeah, I see the Metroid in Doom, which is a good thing (Map and menu structure wise).

I´ve always respected the Metroid franchise =D.

watstha said:

Yeah, I see the Metroid in Doom, which is a good thing (Map and menu structure wise).

I´ve always respected the Metroid franchise =D.

Same! =D

I love Metroid Prime to death; quite frankly it's a good thing the new Doom is drawing upon this positive influence! =)