Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Predict The Metacritic Score

I think it will be somewhere in the low-80s, so I'll say 82.

Here's the two latest id Software games for reference:

And here's some recent FPS games for reference:

So what'll it be?

What's the situation regarding review embargo? Does someone know that?

It will be somewhere in the low to mid eighties. It will be a solid game but I have a feeling that it wont make the impact that we all have been hoping for. It will probably be like Doom 3 where it wows everyone upon it's debut, but eventually fade away into the ocean of video games that have come and gone. I know I will love it though, and play it over and over and discuss the many things on the forums here. Or maybe, just maybe it will blow everyone away and be a huge success.

How in the name of all fuck does Wolf TNO have such a low score, and RAGE have such a high score?

Metacritic's gonna get bombed with a bunch of half-assed reviews like the Open Beta was. With how many triple-A games get a bunch of no-life cynics on the net openly disparaging as much as possible to make them look bad to the unwise consumer, and with how vocal Doom's reception has been by the vocal minority that swear up and down for this game to be a blemish upon the franchise, it's kind of inevitable.

After a bit the Metacritic scores eventually drown out the initial shitstorms and regulate themselves again, though.

They will like the singleplayer for just being solid
They will be too afraid of Snapmap to make proper use of it but appreciate its capabilities
They will think the multiplayer is good but forgettable

RikohZX said:

Metacritic's gonna get bombed with a bunch of half-assed reviews like the Open Beta was. With how many triple-A games get a bunch of no-life cynics on the net openly disparaging as much as possible to make them look bad to the unwise consumer, and with how vocal Doom's reception has been by the vocal minority that swear up and down for this game to be a blemish upon the franchise, it's kind of inevitable.

After a bit the Metacritic scores eventually drown out the initial shitstorms and regulate themselves again, though.

That is probably the like thing that will happen.

Metacritic is nonsense because not all critics are actually given the same weight in deciding the overall metacritic score.

I guess mainstream review sites like ign and gamespot will probably give it at least an 8. I would be fairly shocked if they gave it less than that considering the long campaign and the fairly groundbreaking snapmap feature. What score people will give it will probably depend a lot on how much they like the multiplayer. Those who like the single player and hate the MP will probably gravitate towards an 8, while those who like both may give it a 9.

For me personally, I really looking forward to it and will probably give it a 9 since I seem to be among the few that really liked the MP.

85-88%

I know almost for a fact that I'll find the game to be at least as enjoyable as those rated 90% and above, though.

RikohZX said:

If you're talking user reviews, sure. But user reviews have always been complete and utter shit. Some critics can be quite bad, too, but user reviews are oh-so-much worse.

100%! =D

At least I hope....

If not... I'm still giving it 10/10 no matter what.

If COD fans and COD studios can give every single COD game in a review a 9/10 or 10/10 in some cases...

Fuck it, I'm doing the same for the new Doom. 10/10. =)

Yup you heard me. The new Doom gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

My review?

"Damn sight better than Halo 5, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Halo 4, Call of McGeneric: Battlefield Modern Military Simulator 2016 and the whole rest of generic schmucks out there. Love the gibs.... so juicy and full of blood! YUMMY!"

=)

I predict that it will get an average or fair score from the professional reviewers but the user reviews will scorch it because of all the idiots who think it's like Halo or COD and that it somehow is not Doom.

doom_is_great said:

I predict that it will get an average or fair score from the professional reviewers but the user reviews will scorch it because of all the idiots who think it's like Halo or COD and that it somehow is not Doom.

I actually won't mind if it's like a mix of the first Halo, first Half-Life, and first Quake as well as Doom 64.... I'd probably praise it for elements that mix the old with new.

Of course nostalgia-blind reviewers probably will ignore the innovations....

Im kinda pessimistic about it.
My guess is a 68 or 72 at least. Not because it looks bad or anything, but because the game just keeps getting a negative reception that it just makes me wonder if people are gonna give the game a chance.

I still don't understand as to why this day and age that people still consider games that score below a 9/10 is suddenly just a solid game or somewhat decent. 8/10 is still a good score and I bet if this game was just purely single player and co-op it most likely wouldn't be getting bashed for being "Halo/COD" clone even though DOOM invented the FPS genre in the first place.

only 79 for wolfenstein? wtf is going on

I think the new doom will be around 89 - 15 from all the haters makes 74

NodEliteX5 said:

I still don't understand as to why this day and age that people still consider games that score below a 9/10 is suddenly just a solid game or somewhat decent.

I think 80% is the new 90%. As you can see from the scores I posted in the OP, not one of those games scored in the 90s. So there hasn't been one FPS this generation in the 90s.

If DOOM gets over an 80, that would be huge for the game.

I really don't know man, I hear the same amount of positive and bad opinions about the game, it likes there's barely any middle ground and that doesn't sound good, it's as if there's a 50% chance that the game will succeed.

numbers and ratings in reviews of media are garbage. people look at the rating of a thing and base their entire perception of the thing on how big or low the number is. what matters is the content of the review, not what the number is.

i've seen reviews that really hate how a game or movie or album or whatever is like this, and yet the review is solidly high. like the Parasite Eve game for PSP for example, that had a 7 out of 10 here in Sweden, but the reviewer very clearly despised how the character and story turned out. so why the high rating?
and ProJared on Youtube giving Bioshock Infinite a perfect 10, but then said that "10 does not mean its flawless." what the fuck? a perfect score means a product IS flawless. if it's not, lower the fucking score.

numbers in media reviews are garbage. they matter if you're buying something like a computer, technical components, something you have to make sure of has good build-quality and works well. but for games and movies, which consists of subjective points of view? hell no. they don't represent the quality of the product at all. what matters is the content of the review.

I'm predicting a pretty high score because I'm confident most of the reviewers will see how smart and layered the combat is, while still retaining its sense of simplicity and immediacy, like the GamesRadar preview:

Do not confuse Doom for some semi-ironic throwback to the big dumb shooters we all (think we) remember from the ‘90s. Do not assume that Doom’s fast, ferocious focus on brutality, bullets, and bone-snappping takedowns indicates some cheap rallying cry to the anti-CoD, ‘old school’-worshipping curmudgeons. Doom is not a gimmick. Doom is not a mindless tribute to a bygone era. Doom is an intricate, polished, and aggressively tuned-up machine, with intelligent and purposeful design underpinning every whirling mechanism and furious combustion.

It’s a masterclass in tactical spatial awareness, exacerbated by Doom’s layered, winding, rabbit-warren design of secret routes, shortcuts, and hidden high-ground.

Take Doom’s wildly varied, multi-class bestiary of monsters. Far from the feral meat you might expect, they’re actually more akin to chess pieces. Every one has specific purpose and intent in its abilities. Every one presents a particular kind of problem. And once you start multiplying those problems by each other in group encounters – the whole gory show amplified by Doom’s level design, which plays on line-of-sight but features no safe cover opportunities - you have gunplay that, while never for a split-second losing its immediacy and brutal gratification, ascends to be legitimately described by its devs as a “combat puzzle”.

80s something, but otherwise I don't care.

As for TNO and Rage, there's little difference between 79 and 81. Personally, I liked Rage more anyways.