Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

what are your thoughts on the Demons of DooM '16?

I think they did a good job on differentiating the AI and the roles of the demons. The designs are amazing, new and old. The voices or sounds that those demons make soumd awesome.
Here are my initial thoughts on them

>the possesed are pretty much regular zombies except for the unwilling who seem to have larger health than the possesed.
>the possesed soldiers look amd feel like strogg, I mean I dig the "binded into thier armor" thing but at least let them hold thier guns. Actually, it might be better that these possesed soldiers move around and when they lose thier weapon when you unarm th with a pistol or a machinegun, the either rush at you and mellee you or grab another weapon nearby amd shoot at you.
>Imps are amazing, they are now more agile and mobile than ever, they climb, jump, and sprint to wherever they prefer as some imps prefer to keep thier distance and others prefer face to face.
>pinkies are tough, they are no longer those maulers from classic games, they are somewhat like bulls mixed with sharks, they charge at you then bite you continously. They made him tougher to kill him by giving him an armor plated front so it might take some getting used to.
>Revenants now are deadlier than previous incarnations because they made him into one hell of a rocket blasting quick paced death machine.
>Hellknights are berserkers, they are fast and always ready to rip and tear you after they beat ypu to a red mush. I love how they distinguished the Baron and him since he no longer has a fireball attack.
>Barons are terrifying. Nuff said.
>Mancubi havent really changed much since the main games, still a slow, rapid firing blubbery walking tank.
>Cacodemons are now faster but still retain that classic feel
> The lost souls are kind of interesting since they have a docile mode and agressive mode.
>Hellraizers are hell's version of possesed soldiers with lasers, thats it.

As for others I havent seen them yet in action.

possesed = ok
Imp = ok
Pinky = good but a little bit too cartoonish
Hellknight = awesome but too small
Baron of Hell = good but too chubby, at least the face
Mancubus = ok
Cacodemon = good but a little bit too cartoonish
Lost Soul = awesome
Chubbymoose = bad
Revenant = awesome

HellVain said:

They nerfed him by giving him an armor plated front so it might take some getting used to.

How's that a nerfing??? It makes them even more deadly because you have to circle around them to apply damage, instead if simply walking backwards and unloading your weapon unto them.

tuo said:

How's that a nerfing??? It makes them even more deadly because you have to circle around them to apply damage, instead if simply walking backwards and unloading your weapon unto them.

I meant making him stronger and tougher to kill

tuo said:

He's so slow to turn around it's actually less worrisome than backing up and shooting.
I like them all besides that fucking Moose. In the leaked trailer he looked ridiculous doing that stupid swipe move.

Wasn't there another Cyberdemon monster though? one that looked like a brown baron with cyber implants, might just be my bad memory.
I don't really have much against the Cybermoose, cool or bad looking it will still end in a pool of gibs.

YukiHerz said:

Wasn't there another Cyberdemon monster though? one that looked like a brown baron with cyber implants, might just be my bad memory.
I don't really have much against the Cybermoose, cool or bad looking it will still end in a pool of gibs.

Not that I know of. It is still up for debate wether there will be a variation of the Cyberdemon. Some said there will be a hell version of the cyberdemon, similar to the UAC Cyber-Mancubus and the Hell Mancubus. But currently, I doubt that the Balgaar (Hell Cyberdemon) actually is different to the one in the UAC facility, due to the trailers we got until now. The points beeing mentioned (using an energy scythe attack [basically the "sonic boom" we saw in the unreleased trailer], having a large, sword-like appendix on his right arm) are present on the one we have seen all the time, and which seems like is the one in Holding Pen 6.

But I would be pleasently surprised if I am wrong, and there ARE two Cyberdemon versions! It would be awesome if we get an more traditional Cyberdemon as a massive fan service, but I am not holding my breath.

There are some slots in the bestiary which are not accounted for at the moment (even if we take bosses and boss-specific enemies into account), so who knows? We might get some nice surprises :)

Everything looks good, the rev seems slower to get going then the old one, but we'll see how uv affects him. The mancubus seems to slowely start up as well, old one usually fired a volly first time it sees you. Everything seems really cool though. I'm not crazy over the new mancubus head but it's not a big deal.

Possesed/zoms- alright, do what they need to do

Imps- great agility and potential challenge in large numbers

Pinky- cool design, could be redder lol but no biggie

Hk- great design, hell's bouncers

BoH- awesome scary beast

Lost soul- would be cool if skull more human looking but nice design anyway

Caco- awesome in every way

Rev- tied with caco for best reworking of the original designs

Manc- cool designs, flamethrowers esp

Archvile- new design looks good, interesting to see the mechanics

Cybie- its grown on me but i dont really like the head design

Arachnotron- hoping to see a bunch of these guys!

Spidie- the leaked images seem iffy but obviously unfinished

Overall really liking the reinterpretations of the classic designs :)

I'm specially pleased with the Hell Knights and the combat style of the imps so far. The Hell Knights seem to be incredibly aggressive and unrelenting. It's a same they both seem to be completely silent when they die, it's as if some sound effects were missing.

The Baron of Hell, the lost soul, the revenant, the cacodemon and the pinky demon are very close to be a representation of the originals, although the revenant's AI seems to be pretty bad.

The mancubus is not a very good representation and the cybermoose is even worse.

Still don't know what to think about the archvile, but looks good so far, he also sounds terrifying.

I'm not going to post an in-depth analysis of all the monsters. I will however say that I'm really digging the overall creature design. I'm sure there are plenty of things that we haven't seen yet and find out once we play through the game ourselves. I'm looking forward to the surprises.

Yeah I'm really digging the new designs, in fact I'm gonna try and learn how to make my own monster sprites and shit so I can make a sick doom4 texture wad I've made about 0 progress since I thought of this idea a few weeks ago :P

I'm enjoying them, I dig the new Imps especially and seeing the Mancubus attacking with flamethrowers is really cool, but like many have exclaimed I don't care for the Cybermoose much.

I love everything i have seen so far (except for the grunts). It would be nice if the demons screamed or the player for that matter. Gives more suspense.

The only enemy that really differed from its Classic Doom design in any significant way (Other than the Hell Knight but that's a good thing because now it's not just a pale Baron of Hell) is the Archvile and, if you look at a high res shot of the model they used, it just looks like a generic alien anyway so maybe the added demonic charm helped it.

The mancubus and the cyberdemon are the only ones I think look bad, the rest is good.

A funny thought just came to my mind: Classic monster skins DLC, like MK 9 and X.

I've only recently come to grips with the mancubus redesign (the hell variation, the one with the flamethrower arms that is) and I've decided that I hate it.

From its lack of a particular sense of weight while moving coupled by its poor projectile damage/size, to its offensively simple attack pattern, to its repetitive, tiresome death animation, there's really nothing about it worth noting to the player to make him go 'that looks dangerous as shit and it's probably a good idea to stay away from it as far as I can'. The blank cyclopean eye and face... it just doesn't work. It really does not.

On the other hand, its flamethrower type attack does seem pretty fucking lethal.

I've said this before in another thread, but, for all the questionable choices regarding demon design the game may have had, Doom 3's Mancubus iteration worked way better in nearly every aspect save for the retarded elephant trunk. It was way meatier, louder, stronger, had overall better attack, and it looks pissed as fuck. It most certainly did a better job at capturing the essence of the original than the new one.

Possessed - They seem like they could fill the role of the previous former humans as sort of cannon fodder, but something that can/will likely hurt you if you dont pay attention to them.

Imps - I Like the speed/agility is seems like they have now.

Hell Knight - Is really different and stands out from the baron now. Seems quick for the bulk he has, but I sort of wish he had some form of range attack.

Baron of Hell - I like the size of it along with how strong it looks.

Mancubus - I like the way its body looks, but its head just seems off I think it could be the eye color.

Cacodemon - Really like the close to classic look they went with it, along with its little arms.

Pinky Demon - Looks bulkier, and has some resemblence to its classic counterpart.

Revenant - Looks rather mobile, and the mix of meat/bone is nice.

Lost Soul - Look nice, I like how they are more hellish looking.

Arch-Ville - From what we have seen so far, it looks it would be something you should kill quickly.

Cyberdemon - Looks fine to me outside of not seeming to be that cyberlike, and a little to chunky.

I will add though that I find the Baron of Hell to be terrifying. The fact that something of that size and mass can move so fast and be just as agile says something.

Piper Maru said:

I will add though that I find the Baron of Hell to be terrifying. The fact that something of that size and mass can move so fast and be just as agile says something.

Yeah that coupled with the Cinematic depiction of it in the Doom Fight Like Hell trailer... I think I'm not going to be able to sleep at night again if I see two of them appear in the same manner they did at the end of E1M8...

Yup.. probably won't get a wink of sleep... that's what happened to me when I was 4 (I was like "I'm not scared of Doom! Zombiemen? Look like people same with shotgun guys. Imps? Kinda scary but not really. Pinkies? OK they are pretty creepy but not as scary as... *Barons appear* OH SHIIIT!!! RUN RUN RUN! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *jumps out of chair, runs away from computer screaming and crying to parents, parents delete Doom, doesn't play Doom until 2010*)

Yup.... I didn't play Doom again until I was 10. I'm 16 now, and I'm so hyped for the new Doom!

Thankfully, I don't get scared of Barons as much...

Though if there is a terrifying enemy.... I'm probably just going to scream, pause the game, get up, walk out of the room, walk back inside the room, unpause the game, and accept my fate.

That's pretty much what I did with Alien: Isolation... though the Androids and Xenomorph still scars me man.

I never checked any leaks or anything so I can't say much for the other Demons. But based from the singleplayer footage the Demons are awesome. The Unwilling can be a little repetitive and just there to be glory kills / health farming otherwise I'm content.

Seeing the Imps climb walls to throw projectiles and the Strogg looking enemies climb crates to get the high ground is great. I'm curious if it's A.I. or scripted.

Chezza said:

I never checked any leaks or anything so I can't say much for the other Demons. But based from the singleplayer footage the Demons are awesome. The Unwilling can be a little repetitive and just there to be glory kills / health farming otherwise I'm content.

Seeing the Imps climb walls to throw projectiles and the Strogg looking enemies climb crates to get the high ground is great. I'm curious if it's A.I. or scripted.

Do those even drop that many pinata drops (outside of likely the chainsaw)? I could have sworn it seemed like most of the time the things seemed to give like 1 little health drop that gave 5 health (think it was during the twitch stream) could be based more on how much health the player has though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNdx4fdqhhc

something cool i noticed in this vid, that totally surprised me, the mancubus has what is easily an 8 foot vertical leap @ about 2:35.

when i saw that i was excited. logic aside, i am hoping for more shocking surprises like that. i would never expect that fat bastard to leap like that, and i would def have an oh shit moment when it happened the first time.

i think the monsters are going to be really awesome. my concern is gun mechanics. sometimes i get the impression no one at id has ever fired one. damn hippies :p