Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graphic_Delusions

Revenant Jetpack malfunction animation removed from Doom 2016 since E3 Demo?

Since playing the Alpha, Beta and watching all the single player streams, I have yet to see the cool Revenant kill animation again when their Jetpack malfunctions.

Do you think this has been taken out?

I thought it was a nice touch and would be a shame if it's no longer in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was never really in the game and was a canned one-off animation just for that demo.

Linguica said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was never really in the game and was a canned one-off animation just for that demo.

Really? I know these things happen but, with an action game like Doom, I would find that a very poor decision on their part if that turns out to be true.

That said, I must admit I have not seen this behavior in any of the new footage either. :(

Most likely a SP only thing. In MP this would be unfair because the demon rune should be where the revenant dies, and if he just goes flailing off it would be highly unpredictable for players.

Frankly I don't see how this piece of animation could realistically be implemented.

redrage said:

Really? I know these things happen but, with an action game like Doom, I would find that a very poor decision on their part if that turns out to be true.

This is nothing new. Doom 3's trailers had scripted actions that never made it into the game. The Hellknight throwing monsters comes to mind.

TheWizard said:

Most likely a SP only thing. In MP this would be unfair because the demon rune should be where the revenant dies, and if he just goes flailing off it would be highly unpredictable for players.

Haven't seen it going wrong in the New SP Footages either .

There was an enemy in DNF with a very similar death animation, remember?

Enforcer said:

Nope! It's in! I saw it in one of the SP gameplay videos. Don't worry

Link and timestamp or it did not happen. :3

Seriously though. Do you mind providing a link? I remember someone in here saying he saw "for certain" that a floor texture could be changed in one of the SnapMap video's. Requested a link, never got one (because it did not happen).

Make all of us happy and show the proof. :) (please)

redrage said:

Link and timestamp or it did not happen. :3

Seriously though. Do you mind providing a link? I remember someone in here saying he saw "for certain" that a floor texture could be changed in one of the SnapMap video's. Requested a link, never got one (because it did not happen).

Make all of us happy and show the proof. :) (please)

Oh the pressure! I'm pretty sure I saw it. .Ok I'm going to scan through the vids and I hope I will find it. Consider me full of shit until I post a link!

The multiplayer loading screens at least mentioned that you can disable it. But I haven't seen the malfunction since then...hope it's still in. But I also haven't seen the "red laserbeam" aiming the Revenant does in the E3 trailer since then.

BTW, the loading screen info I am refering to is this:
"#str_game_fact_demon_revenant" "The Revenant's 'Jetpack' is powered by a central core; damage this core to disable the device."

Technician said:

Frankly I don't see how this piece of animation could realistically be implemented.

This is nothing new. Doom 3's trailers had scripted actions that never made it into the game. The Hellknight throwing monsters comes to mind.

It has been in many other games, some dating back to mid 2000's, there's no reason why this wouldn't be in the final game.
It's likely just a sort of rare animation with a small % chance to happen so its special when it does.

I've seen the laser in the SP footage, but honestly it's not that hard to pull off probably. Ragdoll the bastard's limbs and have the jetpack propel him around. Star Wars Battlefront sorta did it if a player had their jetpack active when they died.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more scripted with the E3 demo than first glance, but for all SP footage comparisons, the game didn't dip graphically at least.

RikohZX said:

I've seen the laser in the SP footage, but honestly it's not that hard to pull off probably.

Really? Where? I searched for it through all the footage, but couldn't find it :(

Didn't Marty say basically nothing was scripted in the E3 demo?
Not that he couldn't have stretched the truth a little.

I think it's more likely that this could have been disabled because it would actually be a penalty for the player in the (somewhat) tight hallways. And completely unpredictable.

redrage said:

I remember someone in here saying he saw "for certain" that a floor texture could be changed in one of the SnapMap video's. Requested a link, never got one (because it did not happen).

Thats me. Sorry, i havent watched through alle the snap map videos again. But i am certainly sure that i have seen someone who changed textures. I dont know a single reason to lie here.

tuo said:

The multiplayer loading screens at least mentioned that you can disable it. But I haven't seen the malfunction since then...hope it's still in. But I also haven't seen the "red laserbeam" aiming the Revenant does in the E3 trailer since then.

"#str_game_fact_demon_revenant" "The Revenant's 'Jetpack' is powered by a central core; damage this core to disable the device."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsWaTIlNGlw&index=6&list=FLJGzOur1l7z8h6_3ey6o4sA
Laser beam aiming is at 31:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjoRosqiOV8
At 1:15 player shoots at him and then jumps in the portal. Then the player looks down at the stairs and you can see someone exploding and hurting an Imp. Yeah. .not a concrete proof (sorry guys) but what else can it be?

tuo said:

Aaawh, NICE, so that made it!!! I loved that effect from the E3 demo, and am glad that it is still in there. Thank you every much!!!

No problem man! Loved that effect also! It's like he jumps in the air and tries to lock on a target! Ah. .I just love him! :) Can't wait to finally face him and pump him full of lead!

Shaviro said:

Didn't Marty say basically nothing was scripted in the E3 demo?
Not that he couldn't have stretched the truth a little.

I think it's more likely that this could have been disabled because it would actually be a penalty for the player in the (somewhat) tight hallways. And completely unpredictable.

Considering the player had god mode on, and with full health the Revenant attacked once which caused the player to die and enter the death animation, he definitely stretched the truth.
That's not to say everything else was scripted, however. Obviously the monster placement and weapons likely won't be in the same places in the final game, but it still could've been 90% unscripted gameplay.

And just a tip Enforcer, if you want to show a specific part of a youtube video, click on the Share button directly below the Subscribe button under the video, check the "Start on" box, and enter the time, then copy the generated URL, that way the link will start at that exact moment for everyone that clicks ;)

Enforcer said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjoRosqiOV8
At 1:15 player shoots at him and then jumps in the portal. Then the player looks down at the stairs and you can see someone exploding and hurting an Imp. Yeah. .not a concrete proof (sorry guys) but what else can it be?

Thanks for looking it up. Ill take it! Its as much proof as were going to get and I must say you are pretty damn observant for having noticed that. Good job! :)

wheresthebeef said:

Considering the player had god mode on, and with full health the Revenant attacked once which caused the player to die and enter the death animation, he definitely stretched the truth.
That's not to say everything else was scripted, however. Obviously the monster placement and weapons likely won't be in the same places in the final game, but it still could've been 90% unscripted gameplay.

Well the ending of both the foundry and Hell demos were both scripted, given the whole Cyberdemon scene combined with dramatic zoom and the unique animations specifically for it. I noticed that games have been doing that lately at E3, meshing actual gameplay if it isn't bullshots with some dramatic sequence for a finisher. Metal Gear Solid V had a habit of doing the same thing, showing live gameplay and then merging straight into an in-engine cutscene made specifically for demo purposes.

Otus said:

Thats me. Sorry, i havent watched through alle the snap map videos again. But i am certainly sure that i have seen someone who changed textures. I dont know a single reason to lie here.

That's alright man. I still have no idea what you think you saw but we will see for ourselves in two weeks. :)

I found it again but you are right, it seems i have seen more than what really happened. At around 5:05 she is talking about decals and clutter (whatever that is). I thought that this is the same as textures. Sorry, but at least i found that video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR_sQEs8jTk

tuo said:

I reread your comment and remembered something I saw. The losing control and crashing into something is a kill animation.

The disabling of the jetpack is actually its own thing! You can pull revenants from the air by good aim and their jetpack will be disabled while they will still come after you. Here is an awesome example from the SnapMap stream:

https://youtu.be/QuxmnKyabpg?t=2010

It seems the revenant even gets a new ability; after its jetpack is damaged it no longer is able to fly but instead charges at the player. Quite awesome! :)

Otus said:

I found it again but you are right, it seems i have seen more than what really happened. At around 5:05 she is talking about decals and clutter (whatever that is). I thought that this is the same as textures. Sorry, but at least i found that video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR_sQEs8jTk

I figured as much. Thanks for looking it up though.

With clutter they just refer to prefabs like crates for the floor, piping and stuff for the wall, and cables for the ceiling. Stuff like that.

Decals are a textures you can overlay. This is often used for blood splatter, lettering or dirt and grime. And this is indeed what you saw. The floor texture got a dirt decal.