Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 5.0: By popular demand!

In spite of all my best efforts to make people stop caring about MAYhem, people (by which I mean maybe five of you) keep inquiring about the whatabouts of this years fabled edition. Far be it from me to disappoint audiences*, so we are going to get a fifth annual iteration for the project.

For those unfamiliar, MAYhem is a community project founded in 2012 in which I give a reasonable restriction for Boom compatible maps and members of the community make something cool out of this. the 2014 edition came damn near winning a cacoward and the 2015 edition, *to be officially released later this week, courtesy of Marcaek and a bunch of other cool cats, looks to be just as cool.

Anyway, there is a restriction and a texture pack given, and then the community makes their maps over the course of May. (Its a pun. Get it?) then I stall for anywhere between 3 weeks and a goddamn year and the project comes out. There is more awareness of my habits and I swear it will be done by September this time, and it will be quality.

Anyway. More details coming in about an hour and a half. Thank you for your support!

Will this installment of Mayhem take over a year to finish? Place your bets now!

In all seriousness I'll try and make time for contributing again, last year was quite fun.

Even I wouldn't mind mapping for one again, we'll see.

I won't take over again, but I will take the position of Designated IRC Harasseur :^)

It's Gonna be May

Definitely gonna contribute to this. Hope the theme and texture set is good.

Hoping for an excellent texture set: I wouldn't even be upset with Gothmash if that was used once more since I really enjoyed using the pack.

TheMionicDonut said:

More details coming in about an hour and a half.

How many months does that mean in the Mayhem universe?

I was thinking the same thing here... 12 hours are passed and there's no sign of theme or texture pack... I wonder what new spore of madness will come out this year... maps with 100000 monsters? Maps beatable only by speedrunning tricks? Magic maps activated by a shit-a-thon of imps into a huge room made of HOM walls? Only time will tell...

"make a map without knowing what the restrictions are. Maps which break the rules will be eliminated from the final WAD"

kuchitsu said:

How many months does that mean in the Mayhem universe?

Maybe it's a Venusian Hour-and-a-Half.

yakfak said:

"make a map without knowing what the restrictions are. Maps which break the rules will be eliminated from the final WAD"

So if the only restriction is that you know there are no other restrictions, no one can make an acceptable map, right?

Was at a LAN last night. I was writing up the synopsis thing when somebody unplugged computer, and then my phone battery conned as well. Just got home after a ride back.

Restriction is a 16 grid limit.
Maps should be Boom compatible complvl9, and ideally should be completable in about 15 minutes gametime at the most. This is in the interest of testing fatigue, so as to get a polished product out more efficiently.

Furthermore, focus on game play first. I will send out a texture pack within the week, along with more details on...details.

Regardless, start work on a 16 grid based layout. Pardon the Delay [TM]

Nice, that's a very easy one for me. I think many of my maps are made completely in the 16 grid, especially the later ones.

Of course I won't start working on anything without having the actual textures.

Not much of a restriction, but okay!

Will also wait for the textures before I start.

Question: Are we allowed to use grid scales beyond the 16 grid limit? (I.E. 64 mp, 32 mp)

Breezeep said:

Question: Are we allowed to use grid scales beyond the 16 grid limit? (I.E. 64 mp, 32 mp)

I don't see why not, as everything on those grid sizes would fall nicely onto the 16 grid.

^^ Restricting the amount or size of something in the maps has been done in MAYhem before, maybe it's time to try another kind of limitation that somehow restricts the map's structure instead? I'm fine with this grid restriction rule.

Well. 16 just isn't that much. I think almost all of Plutonia fits in it for example.

Troll grid like 27 could be funny. xD

The restrictions feel like they should tie in with the year, which the 16-unit grid stipulation obviously does. However I'm with AD & joe in that it's a touch underwhelming: a few of the ones I was expecting were the likes of 160 monsters, 16 sectors, 16 tags, a sweet sixteen themed resource pack (I'll let you guys imagine how that would look ;D), etc.

I mean, I map almost exclusively using the 16 unit grid, so it won't be much of a restriction for me at all. I assume we cant use stuff like the curve line tool?

more '16 based gimmick ideas:

- only sixteen different types of monster allowed
- all sectors must be exactly sixteen units tall
- all submitted levels must be for MAP16
- only usable linedef effect is "Stairs raise by 16"

Imo 16 grid limit = all vertexes must be on the 16 grid. So no curve tool. Not sure what about things.

yakfak said:

There are only 18 monsters in Doom 2.

What about a map with 16 things? Tweaking the idea posted earlier about a thing limit.

yakfak said:

more '16 based gimmick ideas:

- all sectors must be exactly sixteen units tall
- all submitted levels must be for MAP16
- only usable linedef effect is "Stairs raise by 16"

-not really a limit or gimmick
-what
-not a limitation
-this would be doable, as you could still use a Romero head to exit the map. It would probably get dull really quickly though

Impie said:

What about a map with 16 things? Tweaking the idea posted earlier about a thing limit.

I think for something like Mayhem, 16 things would be a little too limiting.

I like some of Mutt's ideas. 16 sectors and 16 tags in particular I think would be interesting to work with.

Why bother with limitations when you have the theme in the bag already, because it's going to take 16 months to release?

How about this gimmick: height difference between neighboring sectors is always 16.

ChekaAgent said:

How about this gimmick: height difference between neighboring sectors is always 16.

That's a flat choice, what about 116 things per map?