Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MIND

Sketching out maps

Guest MIND

Are you all going to sketch out map designs on paper when the new Doom comes out in a week or so?

Maybe there should be printouts of the template pieces that you can piece together.

Guest MIND

I'm going to manually sketch them on paper.

Guest MIND
Piper Maru said:

No, I'm just going to snap the map together and hope for the best.

Why do that when you can have more fun and personally draw out your creation?

Guest MIND
Piper Maru said:

lol effort.

It's DOOM. It should be fun, not work.

Guest MIND
TheMightyHeracross said:

Hard to do that when your creation is based off of prefabs.

It's more intricate then that apparently. Have you even seen the SnapMap and Single Player Footage?

I still wish SnapMap had the option to lay down walls by drawing lines from above like with Doom Builder. I envisioned a system where you choose a type of wall mesh pattern and it repeats along a line you draw, much like how a texture repeats on Classic Doom. Basically, it's still prefabs but it gives you more freedom.

Timesplitters had some fan made template makers that was a grid the size of the ingame grid, with each piece to scale added in. You could place them exactly how you would in-game. This was made so other people could recreate other's custom maps/scenarios themselves, since Timesplitters didn't allow you to download other's custom content.

Something similar would be cool for Doom, but since it is less than 2 weeks away and in the end it won't matter that much, it would end up being useless.

I draw maps for doom 2, I'v alot of them now. For Doom 4? I would go more of a flow chart and general plan kinda deal the straight up draw it out. Have fun and play around with it, got to see how it all works first.

MINDustry said:

It's more intricate then that apparently. Have you even seen the SnapMap and Single Player Footage?

...yes, and it uses prefabs. And it's probably going to be hard to draw a map layout because you'd need to work within the limitations of the prefabs.

They seem to be relying more on custom code than anything else. You have to admit, the Harvest Moon and music synthesizers are pretty impressive showcases of what it's capable of, that's at least ZDoom level manipulation. Not to mention that special Mancubi that acts more like an RPG boss than a traditional Doom monster. If you could draw your own walls to make more customized rooms and had more varied tilesets such as hell and exterior Mars/Moon tilesets, it could have the potential to make some crazy stuff.

Marty did say in an interview that he and the team don't expect a lot of people to be using snapmap much at least in the aspect of mapmaking, but he hopes people show a certain amount of interest in creating game modes since that's pretty much the central tenet of it.

MrGlide said:

For Doom 4? I would go more of a flow chart and general plan kinda deal the straight up draw it out. Have fun and play around with it, got to see how it all works first.

Same here. I have some small idea's ranging from simple tests and proof of concepts to somewhat more elaborate ideas spanning a few pages. It all depends on how easy/fun it is to get into and how deep the rabbit hole really goes. :)

redrage said:

Same here. I have some small idea's ranging from simple tests and proof of concepts to somewhat more elaborate ideas spanning a few pages. It all depends on how easy/fun it is to get into and how deep the rabbit hole really goes. :)

I sort of want to know if a pacman like mode could be made.

You can still sketch out the flow of the map, where triggers are and stuff, plus, people can memorize textures, why can't they memorize snap pieces?

For me, I probably won't sketch in any detail if I do, snapmap is basically handling that for you, IMO.