Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

They Messed Up the "Classic Doom" Levels

They were working hard in creating levels in sp as well as promoting the game, fixing bugs and changing ingame models to please us. The classic levels must of have been made in the last minute, now that tje game is nearing the release date i doubt they had the time to fix the classic levels.

How to make a perfect replica of Doom in just 5 easy steps:

1) Download GZDoom Builder.
2) Open the WAD's map in GZDoom Builder.
3) Export to obj.
4) Put in whatever 3D program you use for Doom 2016 assets.
5) Das' it!

I definitely noticed the missing lighting. I agree that it's very problematic in how it's misrepresenting how the original game looked.

No idea how feasible it would even be to port over the sector-based lighting into the new engine.

All is lost.

How could this game be any good, if they not even manage to get maps from 1993 right? Think about it!

How on earth could they deliver a good, modern game, if they are not able to handle that "old stuff" correctly?

It's a shame, a damn shame I tell you!

Doom is dead!

(they should have handed the single player campaign to Certain Affinity, or Machinehead, someone who knows how to make games, but id obviously no longer has any grasp at what it takes to make a good FPS).

Cancel your pre-orders, lock up your doors and windows...all is lost. The end is nigh.

Winter is coming.

tuo said:

All is lost.

How could this game be any good, if they not even manage to get maps from 1993 right? Think about it!

How on earth could they deliver a good, modern game, if they are not able to handle that "old stuff" correctly?

Doom is dead!

(they should have handed the single player campaign to Certain Affinity, or Machinehead, someone who knows how to make games, but id obviously no longer has any grasp at what it takes to make a good FPS).

Cancel your pre-orders, lock up your doors and windows...all is lost. The end is nigh.

Winter is coming.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

I couldn't care less. The classic level parts are just an easteregg. It's like complaining about the Dopefish in Quake being just a texture and not a model. The actual level design is what matters.

Krimson Madness said:

Stfu and go somewhere else with your overreacting hating scheme.

Youre not a native english speaker arent you? He was being sarcastic.

tuo said:

All is lost.

Doom is dead!

Winter is coming.

Krimson Madness said:

Too late, the post above pretty much says you were offended by an obvious sarcastic post.

MetroidJunkie said:

tuo's trying not so cleverly to mock people who find fault with the easteregg.

The fact that id was so lazy with this easteregg, and fucked it up so bad is a tad frustrating, but there's no reason to get this worked up over it.
I just worry about the quality of the full length versions of these levels you can unlock.

I can't speak for other people but this would never determine whether or not I want to get the game. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna criticize it because this is a professional gaming company, not some people in a garage somewhere. You expect the whole game to be a quality work and for them to not half-ass this crap, especially when you can easily replicate the levels in seconds with a free program. By hashing it so lazily, it's basically saying to the classic fans they're trying to pander to with this that you're not worth actual effort.

Krimson Madness said:

Of course.

HellVain said:

Youre not a native english speaker arent you? He was being sarcastic.

Weird because i edited my reply to 'i hope you're being sarcastic' because i think he was being sarcastic.

MetroidJunkie said:

tuo's trying not so cleverly to mock people who find fault with the easteregg.

I wouldn't say that. What I am trying to "mock" or critize is the fact that - IMHO - the focus on this is blown out of proportion.

That my post was sarcastic should have been clear to most people.

I know that - especially in this forum - people are taking a VERY close look at every little detail.

But(!) I think most of the people here are looking forward to the new Doom, and hope that it does well. Especially with what happened over in the Steam reviews during open beta.

Thus, I think the more we blow the easter eggs out of proportion in regards to the overall game, the more we might feed the trolls or even the people who are still in the process of forming an opinion on what they should expect regarding the new doom.

And when another thread is started to blame id regarding their poor handling of an easter egg which NO ONE of us has yet played (we don't know how the levels look like that we can start standalone), I think we are not far off of people forming opinions based on a stream.

That's my opinion, mock me for it, hate me for it, but overall I think we are not helping the overall situation that Doom has to face after that big controversy regarding the Open Beta reviews, which was covered by many gaming media sites. And with Doomworld beeing the second hit when you enter "Doom forums", I think we are not helping the (possible) success of Doom if we nitpick the game to death regarding an easter egg.

Again: MHO.

Krimson Madness said:

Weird because i edited my reply to 'i hope you're being sarcastic' because i think he was being sarcastic.

After some foul words...but I don't blame you, as english also is not my native language (which should be clear for everyone who reads my posts, as my english is not very good).

Then why bother? If you're going to give a nod to the classic fans but not bother putting any kind of cohesive effort into it, why would you even bother? It's like they're flipping classic fans the bird. Yes, I know it's nitpicking something that isn't central to the game but this is a board all about Classic Doom love and, when their idea of giving a nod to the Classic fans is something they slapped together without any kind of effort, it seems insulting in my opinion. Hopefully, this is just the section that's got no lighting and the full levels that are unlocked will be better about this, otherwise there are going to be situations in Classic Doom like the key trap in E1M3 that aren't going to translate. As I've pointed out, you can use GZDoom Builder and build perfect replicas in 5 seconds and I highly doubt the makers of GZDoom Builder would go after them if they used it. They have no excuse whatsoever not to have this done the right way.

MetroidJunkie said:

Then why bother? If you're going to give a nod to the classic fans but not bother putting any kind of cohesive effort into it, why would you even bother? It's like they're flipping classic fans the bird. Yes, I know it's nitpicking something that isn't central to the game but this is a board all about Classic Doom love and, when their idea of giving a nod to the Classic fans is something they slapped together without any kind of effort, it seems insulting in my opinion. Hopefully, this is just the section that's got no lighting and the full levels that are unlocked will be better about this, otherwise there are going to be situations in Classic Doom like the key trap in E1M3 that aren't going to translate. As I've pointed out, you can use GZDoom Builder and build perfect replicas in 5 seconds and I highly doubt the makers of GZDoom Builder would go after them if they used it. They have no excuse whatsoever not to have this done the right way.

I understand the frustration. I also am of the opinion that if you are not interested in doing it good, don't do it! I found the easter egg classic sections in Wolfenstein: TNO awful! But it didn't have an effect on me regarding the overall game. The problem I see with this is: WHY do they market it before release? And basically throw it before the wolves?
Are they desperate and not sure wether the game will be a success?
That's what's actually puzzling me. Not why they didn't do it correctly (again, we can't form a final opinion on that without playing it).

I don't understand the motivation from id/Bethesda to give this "big easter egg" away two weeks in advance. If they wanted to spoil stuff simply to get pre-orders in, they could have spoiled some content which would actually result in pre-orders, but they choose to market this.

Again, to make myself clear (in my non-native language, so bear with me): I completely understand the frustration from classic Doom fans. But I still think we should not blow it out of proportion regarding "how id handled the legacy of Doom", before we had a chance to look at everything.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

But that's exactly what this video is saying about the "classic" level textures :)

TBH: haven't watched it to the end. Watched some of it, red your post, and thought "another one of those". Watching it right now, and if I stand corrected afterwards, no problem :)

I think the forum description currently active regarding the "Doom 2016 General" forum handles the whole situation perfectly :)

I'll give them credit in that the main game has a lot of things I was concerned about like secret areas to poke around in and having a lot more diversity of color than what was initially shown. They do seem to care about maintaining a certain level of similarity to the Classic Doom while expanding upon it any many ways and, even though their easteregg is lazily done, I'm still very much psyched for the game and hope it's successful.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'll give them credit in that the main game has a lot of things I was concerned about like secret areas to poke around in and having a lot more diversity of color than what was initially shown. They do seem to care about maintaining a certain level of similarity to the Classic Doom while expanding upon it any many ways and, even though their easteregg is lazily done, I'm still very much psyched for the game and hope it's successful.

I can totally agree with that :) (and again, didn't want to mock anyone who is not satisfied with the classic stuff we have seen until know, just make a little bit of fun regarding the focus of it...nothing more, nothing less)

DooM_RO said:

Why do you still care about this game if you hate it so much?

Me???