Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Just how much slower is it compared to the original?

The new Doom is obviously faster than most modern shooters but also slower than the old game. Whether that is a good thing or not remains to be seen but I am personally indifferent towards this issue. I think it's ok.

All over the internet I see hyperbolic statements like "sooo sloooow", making it sound like the speed is the equivalent of COD cinematic walking speed.

So is there a way to precicely measure the speed of the game?

For example, at what MPH is the Doomguy running in this game? How fast/slow is it compared to the Quake/Quake 2 running speed? Would be cool if we could have a side by side comparison.

What makes the complaints about the speed so dumb is that the player would almost never run around at full speed in the original anyway. There were a few maps with some open areas sure, but most of the time you were fighting in corridors. I don't even have auto-run on because I rarely need it very much.

DooM_RO said:

The new Doom is obviously faster than most modern shooters but also slower than the old game. Whether that is a good thing or not remains to be seen but I am personally indifferent towards this issue. I think it's ok.

All over the internet I see hyperbolic statements like "sooo sloooow", making it sound like the speed is the equivalent of COD cinematic walking speed.

So is there a way to precicely measure the speed of the game?

For example, at what MPH is the Doomguy running in this game? How fast/slow is it compared to the Quake/Quake 2 running speed? Would be cool if we could have a side by side comparison.

You can turn the speed up in snapmap but if that's gonna be the case in singleplayer i don't know.

hardcore_gamer said:

What makes the complaints about the speed so dumb is that the player would almost never run around at full speed in the original anyway. There were a few maps with some open areas sure, but most of the time you were fighting in corridors. I don't even have auto-run on because I rarely need it very much.

My pinky finger stays pressing the shift key the entire time I'm playing Doom. I do wish they had a button for running I could hold down again. I found myself holding shift through out 98% of the time I played the alphas and betas. The constant one speed thing is a little odd but I did get used to it near the end of the last beta.

Another thing to consider is the old Doom had very short ceilings and lots of repeating patterns, and a pretty decent FOV. All of that contributes to the illusion of speed. New Doom seems a lot more open, larger open ceilings, etc.

I'm not denying classic Doom was faster, but just something to consider.

To be completely honest I only find (some) issue with the speed in multiplayer.

For single player it seems to be dialed in well with the scale of the environments and the demon's attack patterns. I thought the Lazarus Lab section from IGN was an absolute joy to watch. The way the player is able to traverse the environment, use strategic positioning for temporary cover, circle strafe enemies, block LOS by aligning enemies, it was all there.

https://youtu.be/LNdx4fdqhhc?t=43

The speed of the original doom was a combination of a lot of things. For me Doom 2016 never needed to match the "exact" speed of the original. It just needed to be "fast enough" to not have your running speed work against you and rob you of the freedom of moving and be well balanced with the environments and monsters. And that seems to be the case from my perspective.

hardcore_gamer said:

I have auto-run on constantly, don't claim to speak for the rest of the Doom community just because of what you personally do.

I think the gameplay is faster in this new Doom game than in the old ones.

Yes , the gameplay in the new doom is very much comparable to the classic, its just that too many things are happening and are eye catching tjat our eyes instantly gets sidetracked by the graphics, the classic doom however seemed fast because there were little aesthetics that were eye catching thus we were able to focus more on the gameplay. The slowness is an illusion, youll notice it when he enters an empty hallway and it dramatically chamges when hes in an open area..

Need an example? Go to youtube and watch the berserk gameplay. You'll notice that the player runs fast in empty corridors yet whwn he reaches the outside, a large martian surface, you'll have the illusion that everything is slower.

I also don't get it why super high speed in multiplayer is deemed so important. If anything it just makes the game less fun for me. I don't want to be shotgunned in the face by somebody flying around 100 miles per hour. I actually really like the speed in the new Doom exactly because it ISN'T super fast. It's faster than your typical CoD, but not as fast as something like say Quake.

They has a stupid fast run speed in ROTT 2013 and it was too fast. They blindy said YEAH FAST MOVEMENT without completely thinking through the consequences of that. It was fun in parts but it made a lot of the game just annoying.

To take another angle: It doesn't really matter how much slower it is than classic doom, because there is no real comparison to make. The games and the spaces they put the player in are too different. As long as the player speed is designed to feel good and work well in the game spaces they have made for the new game, then it'll be fine.

Krimson Madness said:

You can turn the speed up in snapmap but if that's gonna be the case in singleplayer i don't know.

I remember you could modify movement speed using the console in Doom 3 and Prey, If I remember correctly I think I modified the autoexec files of both.

Anyway, this new game seems to be fast enough, it even seems to me they've boosted the speed a little after the open beta.

New Doom:

Player - fast and can get faster through upgrades.

Monsters - fast and agile (even the slow ass Possessed seem to try to get the high ground)

Doom/Doom II

Player - fast and get faster through engine exploits.

Monsters - not really fast, in terms of movement at least except the arch-vile. They are aggressive however

So basically new Doom is a fast game while Doom/Doom II is an aggressive game with the illusion that everything is fast.

AirRaid said:

They has a stupid fast run speed in ROTT 2013 and it was too fast. They blindy said YEAH FAST MOVEMENT without completely thinking through the consequences of that. It was fun in parts but it made a lot of the game just annoying.

To take another angle: It doesn't really matter how much slower it is than classic doom, because there is no real comparison to make. The games and the spaces they put the player in are too different. As long as the player speed is designed to feel good and work well in the game spaces they have made for the new game, then it'll be fine.

That's exactly what I think and I am glad you brought this up because I realized something a few days ago.

While I was playing ROTT I kept asking myself why the speed was making me feel weird. I am used to classic shooters after all.

I came to the conclusion that shooters work at these kinds of speeds only if the environment is abstract and gamey. When your environment is realistic the speed of the game clashes with the aesthetics and your brain goes "WTF??"

Kaskaum said:

He has the same speed as the old Dooms without sprinting.

Actually, I think it's a bit faster. Somewhere between normal and sprinting.

The biggest complaint I have regarding speed in ROTT is how static everything is compared to the player.

What is even the point in GOTTA GO FAST if your enemies are going to be using mostly hitscan weapons and standing still?

Almonds said:

The biggest complaint I have regarding speed in ROTT is how static everything is compared to the player.

What is even the point in GOTTA GO FAST if your enemies are going to be using mostly hitscan weapons and standing still?

GOTTA GO FAST to cover?

If Old Doomguy travels at 57mph while running, I'd say New Doomguy goes about 30, give or take.

This may belong in the confessional booth, but oh well: I honestly only give a rat's ass about Old Doom's super speed when it comes to deathmatch/duel/CTF, in a theoretical world where Doom never had multiplayer, if the player was not able to sprint, I would still have found it a fantastic single-player experience.

Doom '16 looks to have a satisfying movement speed for SP, I don't think it will ever bother me in the slightest. I truly would have loved some sort of no-snapmap-required super-fast Deathmatch mode, but only as a gamemode, not the MP main course. But hey, I'm splitting hairs, all things considered this looks like the best FPS in years far as I'm concerned.

It would be interesting to calculate the running speed of the new Doom, apply it in the old one and see how the haters react.

I wouldn't mind the pve doomguy speed being a bit slow. All the monsters that get bashed for being "anti-fun police" are the only ones that provide a threat to the stupidly fast player.

And one more hope the monsters aren't hard countered by circle-strafing..

I Can't imagine faster Movement speed than what was shown in the Last SnapMap stream, Actually i didn't like it so umm ... I Liked the regular Movement speed from the Open Beta .

Doomkid said:

If Old Doomguy travels at 57mph while running, I'd say New Doomguy goes about 30, give or take.

This may belong in the confessional booth, but oh well: I honestly only give a rat's ass about Old Doom's super speed when it comes to deathmatch/duel/CTF, in a theoretical world where Doom never had multiplayer, if the player was not able to sprint, I would still have found it a fantastic single-player experience.

Doom '16 looks to have a satisfying movement speed for SP, I don't think it will ever bother me in the slightest. I truly would have loved some sort of no-snapmap-required super-fast Deathmatch mode, but only as a gamemode, not the MP main course. But hey, I'm splitting hairs, all things considered this looks like the best FPS in years far as I'm concerned.

I agree, and alot of us are used to strafe 40/50ing everywhere, wich was a bug. Turn of run and the new doom is faster, wich is the way alot of people have experienced doom.

You had big abstract open spaces too move about in Classic. That is why you were so fast. It would not only look stupid in this new doom game (or any modern game) to run 50mph, but it would probably be much harder.

The original Doom was the same pace as the new Doom.

What do I mean? 1993's standards for speed are different than 2016's standards for speed.

Obviously, the technology was limited, so the spaces might make you have the illusion of speed, but the reality is that the spaces are huge and you are most likely sprinting, not necessarily running at Sonic speed, but just average soldier speed.

Just my two cents. ^^

Hey guys, I made a comparison using youtube doubler. And from What I've observed the speed is practically the same on both games. And lets also not forget you can upgrade doomslayer's speed in-game too.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg426RRi70fs&start1=6&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlfEsZcGfTwY&start2=3&authorName=Ayarkhaan+Enemy

Another point with the ROTT speeds is that it's instantaneous and stiff. You move fast, but the moment you let go, all that speed stops existing, there's no momentum except in the air, and you have so much air control that it's all too easy to over-sensitively fling yourself off a bouncepad through the air and straight into a pit or trap. The original Doom had momentum build-up, however brief, and momentum die-off, to the point that mappers can even make it so aspects of the environment can alter your momentum on surfaces.

Doom '16 seems to be the 'no momentum' route but without the unmanageable speeds of ROTT '13, not to mention that your jumps don't have much air control so you're dedicated almost as much as Simon Belmont to that leap. Which is honestly a much better way to go about it when it comes to platforming when combined with a clamber, since you don't want to accidentally hold a little too left mid-jump and fling yourself to your doom like it's Sonic '06.