Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CheeseOnTheMoon

Doom resource explorer?

What ? How the ....
EDIT : Obviously someone uploaded it to the Moddb page, it's not official ..

Seems like an evolutionary step from DOOMExtract 1.3

Extracts some until now new things, misses others. But it's good to know that people are already working on these tools! (in this case, a developer from Digital Extremes, it seems like)

I have no knowledge of programming or whatever, So I dunno if this is safe/legit to use or not .

MrDope said:

It doesn't work with the alpha's files.

Works with the beta files. There was a change between alpha and beta. DOOMExtract 1.1 for example worked for alpha, but not for beta, and DOOMExtract 1.3 for beta, but not for alpha.

I guess this one is at least inspired by source code of DOOMExtract 1.3 (if not by the same person)

tuo said:

Works with the beta files. There was a change between alpha and beta. DOOMExtract 1.1 for example worked for alpha, but not for beta, and DOOMExtract 1.3 for beta, but not for alpha.

I guess this one is at least inspired by source code of DOOMExtract 1.3 (if not by the same person)

Crap, that means that I need to find the beta files somewhere.

MrDope said:

Crap, that means that I need to find the beta files somewhere.

You won't find much that is not already on the internet/leak subreddit. Plus, they seem to have changed stuff in the beta so that even the unpacked ressources are of not much use besides the strings table, as formats who could been decoded before (voiceovers for example) are no longer decodeable with the same tools.
(Edit: which isn't that big of a deal, as all voiceovers seem to exist in the string tables, guess for subtitles)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

What ? How the ....
EDIT : Obviously someone uploaded it to the Moddb page, it's not official ..

My bad, I have very little experience with Moddb.

I don't know about mod tools, but SP mods could very much happen....maybe they actually want people to mod the game but not saying it officially.

id.dav said:

I don't know about mod tools, but SP mods could very much happen....maybe they actually want people to mod the game but not saying it officially.

Something old school about it, even though classic doom had a map editor, I've always liked when the community hacks shit in to the games they love, that's the fun of it.

TheWizard said:

Something old school about it, even though classic doom had a map editor, I've always liked when the community hacks shit in to the games they love, that's the fun of it.

What do you mean with "classic doom had a map editor"? Do you mean DEU? That was third party also.

tuo said:

What do you mean with "classic doom had a map editor"? Do you mean DEU? That was third party also.

Heh, I totally forgot... I was only 3 when the game came out. I guess I was just spoiled when I got into Doom mods.

TheWizard said:

Heh, I totally forgot... I was only 3 when the game came out. I guess I was just spoiled when I got into Doom mods.

Hehe, okay then :) I can't remember how many hours I spent with DEU back then (I guess it might go into the hundreds), but never used what is available now (which seems to be much more comfy to anything available back then).

The last thing I remember regarding Doom map making was getting my hands on the "official" id level editor they used to make the maps, and I couldn't believe how unusable that thing was in regards to DEU (or some other, newer editor I used back then, don't know if it was a Win95 version of DEU or something different...too long ago, and somehow conflicted with me making TIE Fighter missions back then). But that is such a long time ago...damn I'm old :(

People were already able to get the Shotgun and Chaingun working in the beta, i'm sure some dedicated people will be able to access variables and other things and tweak stuff. It may not be full-on modding, and hell, it might get you banned from multiplayer depending on how they try to handle stuff, but it's something.

RikohZX said:

People were already able to get the Shotgun and Chaingun working in the beta, i'm sure some dedicated people will be able to access variables and other things and tweak stuff. It may not be full-on modding, and hell, it might get you banned from multiplayer depending on how they try to handle stuff, but it's something.

Multiplayer-modding will surely get you banned, but who want's that anyway? (both the MP-mods and the ban)

I'd actually like to take bets on two things:

- how many minutes after release will someone post instructions to prevent corpses from vanishing (if it is not an advanced PC option anyway)
- how many hours until the first player finishes ultra-nightmare (has nothing to do with modding, but I am nearly sure it will happen within 24 hours, 48 at most)

People already are very close to unpacking most of the games ressources, and if they can unpack it, they can repack it (add in modifications). The stuff that comes out from those ressources is also beeing converted as we speak, so I am looking forward to quite some mods!!! I tip my hat to the people creating these tools!

This is stuff taken from the beta right? Would you say that info is old and out dated? I mean it still has old imp model.

MrDope said:

It doesn't work with the alpha's files.

Works with the beta files. To use it, select a file named something like "resources" in the viewer, and you can see all of the assets used.

I guess resources is like this games .WAD file or something.

tuo said:

Multiplayer-modding will surely get you banned, but who want's that anyway? (both the MP-mods and the ban)

I'd actually like to take bets on two things:

- how many minutes after release will someone post instructions to prevent corpses from vanishing (if it is not an advanced PC option anyway)
- how many hours until the first player finishes ultra-nightmare (has nothing to do with modding, but I am nearly sure it will happen within 24 hours, 48 at most)

People already are very close to unpacking most of the games ressources, and if they can unpack it, they can repack it (add in modifications). The stuff that comes out from those ressources is also beeing converted as we speak, so I am looking forward to quite some mods!!! I tip my hat to the people creating these tools!

The only reason to why people do this kind of stuff is because they really care. They did the same thing with the original Doom. Instead of waiting for modding tools, they rip the game apart and reverse - engineer components and make their own programs, essentially.

Tuaam said:

The only reason to why people do this kind of stuff is because they really care. They did the same thing with the original Doom. Instead of waiting for modding tools, they rip the game apart and reverse - engineer components and make their own programs, essentially.

Yeah...that's why I tip my hat to them.

CheeseOnTheMoon said:

A pic

Heh. Maybe one day, someone will figure out how to make actual game mods for Doom 2016, then replace all the demons roars and first sight poses, with a middle finger...

Voros said:

Heh. Maybe one day, someone will figure out how to make actual game mods for Doom 2016, then replace all the demons roars and first sight poses, with a middle finger...

It'll happen.

There's a new version of the Resource explorer that works with the alpha.