Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

RUMOR: Possible paid mods round 2 by Valve/Bethesda

Link

Clever timing IF it will becoming before Doom4's release. Let's just hope it's just a rumor because if not, grab your plasma guns and chainsaws.

Can't wait to see people with honest opinions being labeled as shills/trolls/old schoolers/retards/[pointless slurs removed]/Hitler/etc...

Not a surprise since Valve as a game developer is a big joke these days. Why bother making games when you can have the community making free shit for you and then monetizing it. Gabe is no longer a game developer, just a fat, fat businessman.

A part of me wants to see some of the best modders get financial reward for their hard efforts but I definitely do not want to pay for mods. I know there are donation links but more exposure with the developer's support / tools would be nice. Put a Donation button on the steam's workshop page but create firm rules about who will be receive the money prior to its availability.

If I recall, the Skyrim fiasco would give Bethesda majority of the profits and scraps to those who actually made the mod. That disgusts me. Way to show how out of touch you are with reality and your community, Beth...

Lizardcommando said:

This better not be real. I'd assume the backlash would be even worse than the first time it tried to become a thing.

I'd assume so, do they think that our memory span is that short? What the fuck do they think mods are, DLC that other people make for the developers?

Before you guys get the pitchforks, this is complete speculation and nobody knows if Valve actually intends such a thing or not.

Clonehunter said:

Can't wait to see people with honest opinions being labeled as shills/trolls/old schoolers/retards/[pointless slurs removed]/Hitler/etc...

Are you purposely this unfunny? Because it's obvious you haven't learned anything from doing stuff that makes you look like a fool.

Just the fact that this is a rumor circulating is concerning. :\

The idea of paid mods is nice when you take into consideration the authors getting paid for doing what they love and I would actually consider financially supporting some authors (like Bloatoid for Death Wish, the single greatest thing ever made for Blood) but when it's just greedy companies that want to exploit creators' efforts that's just garbage.

I like how all of you completely disregard that there already are paid mods in the Steam workshop for a select few games. The problem that arose with Skyrim wasn't that there were paid mods. But that they were applied to a game with a long history of free mods. The poor planning and inconsideration for possible consequences is what caused the backlash and issues. Not the paid mods themselves.

So if they plan to support paid mods for Doom, good I say. As long as they considered "all" eventualities before it. If they support paid mods for a game like Doom, that is a great incentive for people to invest time with it. Modding for a game like that is complicated and time consuming and any extra incentive for people to really get into modding it is always welcome.

It also is incentive for Bethesda to make more tools available for modders. Maybe we can even see more advanced level design options that can be integrated in SnapMap for users to build off of.

If you think they are going to be as callous and naive as the last time then I just want to remind you that Valve and Bethesda are not stupid. They want this to work, because it would greatly benefit them and their products.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Activision keeps releasing $60 mods for Call of Duty 2 and people still buy them, so yeah, I'd say paid mods can be successful. If you are reasonable and are asking $10-15 for a small new landmass with a handful of hours of gameplay, sure, I'd say that's worth the investment.

5th-rate gaming news site pushes rumor, nobody bites until over a goddamn week later when gullible furry has a Chicken Little moment and freaks out on Doomworld. Fuck this shit, I'm going back to the Pure Love thread.

If Valve is pushing back for this, and their coders aren't completely incompetent, this is very bad news for me because it will break this which is how I get my mods from Steam Workshop since "subscribing" doesn't seem to work for me (possibly because I do not let the Steam client run in the background, or leave it in offline mode the rare times I do).

Guest DILDOMASTER666
dethtoll said:

5th-rate gaming news site pushes rumor, nobody bites until over a goddamn week later when gullible furry has a Chicken Little moment and freaks out on Doomworld. Fuck this shit, I'm going back to the Pure Love thread.

I notice you habitually enter threads, contribute nothing, and then proclaim you're leaving immediately.