Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmnpsrsoskl

Doom 3 Story?

I picked up the latest PC World here in Australia and it had an article in it about Doom 3...it said it's in the year 2145, and the UAC are conducting teleportation experiments on Mars.

True or not?

Heh: it's description of the pink 4 legged demon -

a weird four-legged Alien-type thingie

:P

The year is 2145. We are on Mars, the 'red planet'. At the major facility of the Union Aerospace Corporation a scientist is troubled about an order he has to obey. He carefully warns his superior about his worries that the stabilization field will break down, but he's cut-off by his commanding officer and fulfills the request. But they'd better listen to the man with the brains, because almost immediately all shit hits the fan. Within a few moments the base starts shaking, explosions follow and some sort of evil looking red glowing portal opens. The bese is geting posessed with evil demons and a invasion takes place.. you need to eliminate the invasion.. a bit edited version of the projectdoom.com story thingie

a weird four-legged Alien-type thingie

LOL!

mmnpsrsoskl said:

the year 2145, and the UAC are conducting teleportation experiments on Mars.

The year is correct and the UAC conducting teleportation experiments on Mars sounds not familiar (first time I hear of it) but very likely. But this teleportation thing resembles half-life a bit too much I think. Weird creatures teleported to the UAC base. And the I caracter teleported to phobos and hell and other dark places (Xian or how was that planet called?)

Zoost said:

But this teleportation thing resembles half-life a bit too much I think. Weird creatures teleported to the UAC base. And the I caracter teleported to phobos and hell and other dark places (Xian or how was that planet called?)

You never ever read the story about Doom I didn't you? Doom III is a remake from Doom I.
This means the story is pretty old already, so HalfLife was unoriginal, not Doom..

yeah.. but the doom3 story isnt exacly the same as the doom1 story.. the teleportation experimanets on demios and phobos are removed.. and there is now a experimant with a gate on mars itself..

I guess they did that because it would be more realistic.
Phobos and Deimos are simply to small and have very little gravity. You could hardly (maybe even impossibly) make a base on those shitty rocks..

It would be very dangerous to make a base on deimos and phobos..

because the moons are coming closer and closer to mars.. the martian gravety pulls on those 2 small rocks.. that were once meteors caught in orbit.. ectually.. mars had thousand more rocks in a orbit around mars.. but they soon crashed into mars.. explaining the craters on mars. A couple of 100 ears ago there was even a third "moon" but that moon hit mars in the 18th century I believe.... now deimos and phobos awaits the same faith..

HAMMER-STROKE said:

It would be very dangerous to make a base on deimos and phobos..

because the moons are coming closer and closer to mars.. the martian gravety pulls on those 2 small rocks.. that were once meteors caught in orbit.. ectually.. mars had thousand more rocks in a orbit around mars.. but they soon crashed into mars.. explaining the craters on mars. A couple of 100 ears ago there was even a third "moon" but that moon hit mars in the 18th century I believe.... now deimos and phobos awaits the same faith..

Awww I already build my second home at deimons...

There is one thing I have been wondering...if the rest of your buddies were all turned into zombies and you're destined to be the only survivor to save the days, how'd you escape from the effects from not turning into a zombie? Well, if the story states all characters are gathered in the same place, that is...

999cop said:

There is one thing I have been wondering...if the rest of your buddies were all turned into zombies and you're destined to be the only survivor to save the days, how'd you escape from the effects from not turning into a zombie? Well, if the story states all characters are gathered in the same place, that is...

I have been wondering about that one myself since the earlier dooms. However the idea that an evil force is taking over the minds of everyone except a handfull who are imune has been used a lot in both scifi and horror. There was an old 60s scfi movie about an invasion by aliens that had no bodies of their own so they took over everyone except for the hero who was imune because he had a steel plate in his head, same idea was used in the Tomyknockers. In horror it tends to be more an issue of the hero's birth, the hero is either part of a prophcey where he is destined to battle the evil and is there for imune to its influence, or he had ancestor that has battled the evil force before and which made him imune and he passed it on down to his descendents.

I think in Doom III searching for the explanation why your character is imune will be part game.

Well as I recall he comes down an elevator and sees the chaos. My guess is that only that floor had been affected so far and the one he was on, 1 above, hadn't been yet.

Remember the "stabilisation field" comments by the scientist in the leaked gameplay video? My guess: the field (probably designed to stop anything from coming from) overloaded, most likely because of the entity that was talking to the scientist, or he did some commands that affected it- as shown by his worry about them.

The field held in some places, "pockets" of this field covered parts of the base and/or the areas near the labs. Our hero, and the survivors (guys who weren't possessed) were protected by these "pockets" of the stabilisation field.

999cop said:

Well duh! He's not possessed because he wasn't THERE when the lost souls possesed all the guards. See?

Lemme tell the damn story:
It's year 2145, the UAC is doing research on interdimensional gateways on Mars (this part HAS been confirmed). This scientist dude has secretly altered the settings for the gateway device on command of someone whom we don't know is (could be a superior). He's worried that something will happen to the stabilization field with the current settings, but he's cut off and ordered not to worry about it - and then all Hell breaks lose!
Evil, etheral skulls burst out of the gateway and possess guards, demons overrun the facility, people die etc (we can assume that ;-)).

And after the demons have taken the facility, our hero arrives - it is possible that he has only just exited the transport space shuttle that brought him here, since he was only just transferred here (yes, that part is official too), so he hasn't experienced any of the initial havoc and is totally ignorant of what has transpired here. So he rides the elevator down...and then he instantly realizes that something isn't right - the base seems quiet, systems don't seem to be running like they should and on top of it, he can hear weird sounds from within.

Let the slaughter begin!

dsm- Hate to burst your bubble, but iD have already said that you'll be able to walk around the base (probably like HL at the beginning) before the gateway is opened to Hell :)

It's in a Gamespy article from E3 IIRC.

dsm said:

Well duh! He's not possessed because he wasn't THERE when the lost souls possesed all the guards. See?

Lemme tell the damn story:
It's year 2145, the UAC is doing research on interdimensional gateways on Mars (this part HAS been confirmed). This scientist dude has secretly altered the settings for the gateway device on command of someone whom we don't know is (could be a superior). He's worried that something will happen to the stabilization field with the current settings, but he's cut off and ordered not to worry about it - and then all Hell breaks lose!
Evil, etheral skulls burst out of the gateway and possess guards, demons overrun the facility, people die etc (we can assume that ;-)).

And after the demons have taken the facility, our hero arrives - it is possible that he has only just exited the transport space shuttle that brought him here, since he was only just transferred here (yes, that part is official too), so he hasn't experienced any of the initial havoc and is totally ignorant of what has transpired here. So he rides the elevator down...and then he instantly realizes that something isn't right - the base seems quiet, systems don't seem to be running like they should and on top of it, he can hear weird sounds from within.

Let the slaughter begin!

Awe dammit that was my suggested story for Freedoom, well except for the teleporter experiment part. I swear, that had better not be it, because totally, the whole just arriving and having no clue what the hell happened thing, that was my idea. Dude, I think id's been spying on me, because they know my ideas kick arse. In fact, I think lots of people are spying on me, because my ideas get stolen all the time. Cripes, so many people, all watching my every move, I can't take it anymore!!!

I miss the aspect of the hero hearing gunshots and screams through his radio from the old story.

Also, one thing I liked about the old Doom story was that Deimos got sucked into Hell and the Deimos base got totally warped - I doubt that there'll be anything like that in Doom 3 since the whole thing takes place on Mars itself.

Fredrik said:

Heh, but it would be cool if the entire planet Mars was sent into hell.

Yeah, like that ship that disappeared into Hell in Event Horizon. I love that movie. That would be pretty cool.

Ontopic -> Maybe Doomguy was on the toilet while everyone was turning into Zombies. He stood up and left the bathroom and looked around, thinking: "WTF? Did I miss something?"

Event Horizon is one of the best films ever. However, I'd like to see Mars' moons sucked into Hell, and Mars on the brink of doing the same - until you intervene of course.

I didn't enjoy Event Horizon at all. But then, I don't particularly like Hexen or Halo either so it's probably just a birth defect or something.

hmmm...In my opinion, staging DooM III exclusively on Mars sorta takes away from the original concept of DooM -- Being totally alone amonsgt a horde of demonic entities, whilst trying desperately to escape the hell-twisted version of our reality. One of the things I loved about the original DooM is that the environments were human, but at the same time had a certain twisted element that made it unfamiliar. Who knows...With what we've seen so far, it looks as though id has yet again created something all at once real and terrifying, so I'll leave my final opinion for when it's finally released...

There is one thing I have been wondering...if the rest of your buddies were all turned into zombies and you're destined to be the only survivor to save the days, how'd you escape from the effects from not turning into a zombie?

If you're referring to the originals, you avoid zombification by not dying. :/

In Doom III though, maybe the hero is knocked unconscious from flying explosion debris keeping him from being possessed somehow.

Coopersville said:

If you're referring to the originals, you avoid zombification by not dying. :/

In Doom III though, maybe the hero is knocked unconscious from flying explosion debris keeping him from being possessed somehow.

Or there simply weren't enough lost souls to possess everyone - id have stated that there will be human suvivors (NPCs) in the game who haven't been possessed.

Maby doomguy is a messenger from god.. that has been banned from the heavens and now fights evil to create a portefolio of all good deads for humanity so it can be a freelancer for the undergods.. :P

HAMMER-STROKE said:

Maby doomguy is a messenger from god.. that has been banned from the heavens and now fights evil to create a portefolio of all good deads for humanity so it can be a freelancer for the undergods.. :P

Argh. I lost my sanity when reading that!

Fredrik said:

Argh. I lost my sanity when reading that!

ROFL! I read 'virginity' instead of 'sanity'!!