Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mapping Dream Teams

Phobus said:

I'm surprised more mappers haven't said their dream team would be them paired with whoever they most want to work with. As I know I'm crap for collaborative efforts I don't think I'd put myself in any dream team, mind... Maybe if it was a SoD style arrangement rather than collaborating on a map it might work, although whose style I'd complement, I don't know. Ha, maybe I've just answered my own first sentence.

Interesting take on the question. I guess mine would have to be working with the Jetsons again. It was really fun working together, especially that Halloween map.

Excuse me for bumping but this is an interesting topic.

I think Xaser and ProcessingControl working together would be interesting - we'd get some really fun and unorthodox layouts.

Snakes and Jimmy also seems like a workable team - what with Jenesis and Unholy Realms both being fantastic and classically appealing.

Maybe Eternal and Thomas Van Der Velden would be interesting for some vanilla episode; both are amazing and have made megawads.

I've always kind of wondered myself who I could work with - a part of me wished I could have done so with Reverie, but I have a hard time thinking of anyone who would share that same vision and love for vanilla mapping.

Never_Again said:

Cameron Newham (BARREL2), Jim FLynn (ORACLE), Bob Evans (ODESSA*), Jon Landis (!PIPE!) and Zan Zan Zawa-veia (SMINKY2) for an episode of maps that would require a PhD in quantum physics to solve and defy any attempts to figure out with cheats and map editors. An episode would be enough, I think, any more than that might put unreasonable strain on mental health institutions.

This is one of my favorite posts here; I wish I was worthy to join such a team, haha.

valkiriforce said:

I've always kind of wondered myself who I could work with - a part of me wished I could have done so with Reverie, but I have a hard time thinking of anyone who would share that same vision and love for vanilla mapping.

Maybe... Nicolas Monti?

Szymanski said:

Sailor, Mesko, Bjorling.

Where's that teary eyed emoji? Thanks Lee. (btw I've made new textures…)

I can't really make a dream mapper team as I'm still relatively new to Doom World and more focused on my own works and the tiny Brutal Doom's side of things. The only big name wads I have played was Valiant, Going Down, Alien Vendetta, Scythe and Whispers of Satan.

Since I'm still far off from completing my own BD wad I can only say working with Sgt.Mark on some maps would be swell. However I wouldn't be surprised if I would be expected to be more of a subordinate than a creative contributor.

AD_79, ChaingunnerX, Breezeep and Cannonball working together (on a cohesive project) would be pretty cool!

I'm glad this thread got bumped, I hope mappers use this as a place to seriously congregate about mapping together. Go ahead, people, do a little trial thing and see how it goes. Make two maps each! That's four maps and a half hour of fun for the players!!

Dream team would be Erik Alm coming back to finish Scythe X and "I Dunno Torn" doing one of the secret levels.

Erik Alm, mouldy and Thomas van der velden.

Will Willits, Tom Hall, John Romero and American McGee to make a new pwad megawad for doom 2.

40oz said:

I'm glad this thread got bumped, I hope mappers use this as a place to seriously congregate about mapping together.

In all honesty, there should be a specific thread for that since I don't think any mappers are likely to join up due to a passing stranger's whimsy. Conversely, I'm not entirely sure how many collaborations would arise from this since (I'm guessing) a lot of high profile names that are being named aren't likely to swoop in and post "I'LL WORK WITH X, Y, AND Z MAPPERS". I'd love for more collaborations to occur but a big part of it is about like-mindedness, which doesn't necessarily arise out of dream-team stipulations.

I'd like to see the Casali brothers, Yonatan Donner, Haggay Niv, Anders Johnsen, Erik Alm, Gusta, Method, Joshy, and Darkwave0000 team up to make one super difficult megawad that surpasses their respected projects.

Better yet, maybe a Nordic Community Project with the collaboration of Soundblock, Anders Johnsen, Martin Hunsager, Kim Malde (if he was still alive), Espi (ditto), Erik Alm, Waverider, Iikka Keranen, Kristian Aro, Chris Hansen, and Fredrik Johansson, since there's something about their maps and many other Nordic mappers that just display such richness, such astounding craftsmanship, incredible design and visuals that drew inspiration for many in the Doom Community.

the kind of collab I wanna do consists of me making a bizarre layout and then having someone who understands gameplay fill in all the things in Ultraviolence. my thoughts about combat are usually "give the player a melee weapon and then see what happens"

SGT_Mark and Tormentor, imagine the horrors that would be produced.

Or just team me up with capo, I'm sure the abortion spawned from that would be legendary.

Aw man; I'm over a year late to the circle jerk! Shit! Why is this floor sticky? It smells like flour tortillas in here.

*waves at 40*

I think it would be interesting if Doomkid and I made deathmatch levels. I like his designing, it's akin to something I'd make (for deathmatch).

Noiser said:

AD_79, ChaingunnerX, Breezeep and Cannonball working together (on a cohesive project) would be pretty cool!

Me x Cannonball would be damn cool, same with Breezeep though he's already helped me out with a project (nothing wrong with doing something more than once though!). Not too familiar with Chaingunner and his work but I think it'd be interesting regardless.

As for all of us working on a project, I don't think it'll actually happen. Would be fun if it did though!

There's a ton of people I'd like to work with, even if just for one map. I might have to do something about this. hint hint

AD_79, Tarnsman and SFOZ911

I wanna try to pick apart who did what map :^)

edit: rofl i said this already and didnt notice GET TO IT GUYS

Marcaek said:

AD_79, Tarnsman and SFOZ911

I wanna try to pick apart who did what map :^)

edit: rofl i said this already and didnt notice GET TO IT GUYS

What if they've already done it and you didn't notice that either

=-O

It really depends on if sfoz and tarns would be up to it ;)

(Now that I think about it, our styles have enough differences between them that it would be trivial to pick out who did what map, unless we put in some effort to try and switch it up, hehe.)

Man some of those teams sound like theyd produce some really sweet maps; itd be cool to see how the differing styles would mesh together, as well.

As for my dream team, I'd like to see any combo of antares031, ribbiks, and burabojunior. Also any combo of mechadon, Ed, dobu, doomkid or pcorf. Any combo of Lainos, Ed, and Xaser, too.

AD_79 and Breezeep have already produced a great map together and I wouldn't mind seeing more from a collaboration from them. Obsidian, Chris Hansen, and pcorf would fit in well here, too, I think.

I'd like to see yakfak team up with Noiser for some well-seasoned, diabolical pasta.

I'd hope that someone could pair up with dt_ some day. Probably myself if no one contacts him. Hes a terrific mapper (you'll see a lot of his work in Mutiny when it comes out) and is an excellent teammate for any project, although hes a very busy guy when it comes to personal life. He certainly delivers if you give him the time though

A megawad with Joshy, Erik Alm and skillsaw on early maps. Then it gradually becomes a danne-Ribbiks-tourniquet set of maps as difficulty increases.

A CABAL megawad with Sverre Kvernmo and Drake Obrien at the helm, with Jim Flynn and Bob Evans as guest mappers, my body is ready

By the way teaming up with Eternal would have been really cool, seeing his love for vanilla WADs with Epic 2, TNT: Renascence, Icarus 2015...

I concur. To me Eternal "gets it" and some of his maps feel like a rare offspring from this era.

valkiriforce said:

*raises hand*

Although I'm super busy these days, vanilla mapping is my jam.

nxGangrel said:

I think it would be interesting if Doomkid and I made deathmatch levels. I like his designing, it's akin to something I'd make (for deathmatch).

Seeing the SP stuff you've made, I definitely agree. (Have you released any DM maps as well? If so I'd really like to check them out.)

kuchitsu said:

Me and Nathan Lineback. Like literally I had a dream that we were working together on a wad.

Nathan's a pretty fantastic mapper!