Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

It's funny how...

Most people who complain about Doom suffering from "consolitis" never heard/forgot about Doom 64.

It is also interesting to note how people back then didn't just erupt like this.

Doom 64 was a niche title that barely anyone played. It's nothing compared to Doom 1 or 2 with it's strong modding community.

rileymartin said:

Doom 64 was a niche title that barely anyone played. It's nothing compared to Doom 1 or 2 with it's strong modding community.

I beg to differ. I think it is the best Doom of all time.

Can't compare, IMHO.

Doom 64 was a stand-alone game, no port that also appeared on other systems.

The main complaints regarding "consilits" stem from cross-platform releases, where the PC release or the overall game "suffers" under things like:

- over-simplifaction or at least reluctance to implement "complex" concepts
- Graphics / mesh quality / overall graphical fidelity that had to be reduced in regards to consoles
- introduction of (many years back) unknown concepts like achievements in the PC release
- missing, "typical" (in the past) PC features like server browsers, free saving of gamestate etc. pp.

list could go on.

To be honest, all that complaining regarding "consolitis" got old years ago. I could go on regarding how many games wouldn't exist on PC at all if they could not have been developed as cross-platform titles, but won't.

While Doom 64 used the overal concept of Doom and it's setting and established enemy and weapon behaviour, it introduced a completely new art style and used more advanced graphics effects than the original. I don't think it is a good example for "consolitis".

I think you could compare it if the release date of classic doom and doom 64 would have been closer together.

But I get your idea regarding "only because something is released on consoles, doesn't mean it has to suck".

They called it "Intended for console" simply because it didn't offer enough graphics settings, Limited modding capabilities (SnapMap) ...

But now there's more graphics settings you can toggle/adjust, But they still call it so because it plays like Halo 3 (Which was released only for consoles, Like every New Halo) , And modding capabilities are still limited .

Devs want cross-platform comp by sacrificing the features/extensiveness of the mod tools that you create great stuff with , which clearly tells us devs are thinking about consoles while making it .

In other topics, there are people arguing the speed shouldn't be too fast because it'd be hard to control with a gamepad or snapmap shouldn't be too big because it has to fit console limits.

You can't very well argue consoleitis is a boogeyman when fans themselves use console limitations as arguments to defend design decisions.

Unless your argument is that Doom64 was as popular as Doom 1 and 2... Good luck with that. The first Dooms sold millions, and millions more played the shareware. Doom64 sold perhaps half a million.

DooM_RO said:

It is also interesting to note how people back then didn't just erupt like this.

The reason is because Doom 64 was damn good in both level design and art, for a N64 game. And the story was also different from the Classic Dooms, while at the same time as an unofficial sequel, thus a whole new campaign to blast demons. Who wouldn't love that?

DooM_RO said:

I beg to differ. I think it is the best Doom of all time.

Yeah, Doom 64 is great... but whether it's the best Doom of all time is a matter of opinion.

I'm literally only worried about how well I'll be able to aim on the PS4, which is the version I'm getting since my PC can't run it.

GoatLord said:

I'm literally only worried about how well I'll be able to aim on the PS4, which is the version I'm getting since my PC can't run it.

Same here, If I end up sucking at the aiming, I might have to turn down the sensitivity.