Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

If anyone can't take a joke, the joke becomes more gratifying, doesn't it?

It was a joke, bro, calm down. Best thing you can do is laugh about it and move on. You laugh with me and now we're laughing together, but you act butt-hurt and now I feel like a dick.

See, now you made me feel like a dick; you happy now?

And this is why I shouldn't drink during the daytime.

Kimota said:

3.- Any betatester around? Hehehe... Oh, I am OLD classic doom2 map builder... so, no new textures, no new UI or anything like that... just classic doom2 maps. I am creating them using doombuilder and testing them in zdoom port... is that the right way these days?

I recommend also testing in PrBoom+, if you are making wads that are meant to be Boom compatible, or Chocolate Doom if they are meant to be vanilla compatible.

I'd be happy to test your maps, so I'll keep a look out for your thread!

Fonze said:

I somehow missed this post, but I'm really glad to hear that you're doing something like Violence; that was a fun map set! Let me know if you want a playtester.

Will keep in mind. I'll have to actually get the maps done first though :x

Fonze said:

Good God I wish I could zoom in on that layout pic DMPhobos; that looks awesome! As does the screenshot.

Can't wait for y'all to crank out the next couple maps!

Thank you, im doing my best to get the map done as soon as posible

Top down view of the first map of two from my first WAD, which is built for Doom 1 resources that is taking forever to finish...it is almost complete. I intend to finish it by the start of the next week. A few areas are still largely incomplete.

Benjogami said:

I recommend also testing in PrBoom+, if you are making wads that are meant to be Boom compatible, or Chocolate Doom if they are meant to be vanilla compatible.

I'd be happy to test your maps, so I'll keep a look out for your thread!

I am completely lost with so many ports, addons, and plus-plus-extra... I have been reading lot of info, but, as always, need some time to understand all these things than -in 20 years- people have been adding to make DOOM what it is now... a great project... So, I read that boom was... let me quote from doomwiki: "Boom can be viewed as a much more conservative source port than some others because of its strong emphasis on maintaining the original feel of the Doom engine" that was why I selected that option.

Also, seeing most of your maps... the architecture is SO complex now, gazillions of vertexes, tons of circular buildings, hundreds of detailed corners, stairs... Well, mine are not so detailed, are similar to the one Romero built last year or year before, ahem, similar in modeling, not comparing with the master, of course not.

I still believe that playability (and fun) has to be the main goal, but, remember, I am very old school, hahahaha.

THANK YOU for your offer! I need other eyes to understand what I am doing wrong. Soon (today or tomorrow) I will link some of the maps for testing, by the way... what do you think would be better? To link several maps (as I have 8 ready) for testing or better one by one? Both options have pros and cons... hmmmm... dunno.

:D

Kimota said:

what do you think would be better? To link several maps (as I have 8 ready) for testing or better one by one? Both options have pros and cons... hmmmm... dunno.

Link them all. People can play as many as they want. Preferably put them all in the same wad.

Poormetheus said:

Chezza, well done!

I downloaded and played your wad. It crashed fatally after mission 1 (don't know if that was meant to happen) but mission 1 was great! The metal soundtrack reminded me of Quake II. You also know many techniques that I can only dream of!!

I heard of this with GZDoom. I think Zdoom may have similar issues. You should try with Zandronum, it's what the wad was made and tested for. I'm about to release and update with multiple difficulty settings in mind. You won't be disappointed.

takensorryuser said:

Currently working on a remake of "Five" for NZ:Doom Edition, along with a remake of this custom Zombies map (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlxiPVeE-aU) for a re-make/ better make of the Black Ops DS map of the same name...

after that I'll probably try my hand at House (from Black Ops DS) and then possibly Origins...

That's a pretty awesome video. I've thought about getting WaW because of the zombie community. I might just go with Counter Strike now.

Kimota said:

Also, seeing most of your maps... the architecture is SO complex now, gazillions of vertexes, tons of circular buildings, hundreds of detailed corners, stairs... Well, mine are not so detailed, are similar to the one Romero built last year or year before, ahem, similar in modeling, not comparing with the master, of course not.

As long as the map is made with love I think it's usually pretty good. It's nice to see when people put pride in their work. If a map keeps you going that's the only thing that matters.

Part of it for me is about continually learning new things and the new features are fun because they are a new challenge. I know that maintaining compatibility is it's own challenge and I'm not saying that you can't learn from it, but I think the newer sourceports have more, "obvious" possibilities.

I do really like the idea of, "the largest possible audience" being reached for my maps, but Doom is this tiny little program with such amazing power. (G)ZDoom has so much to work with. I don't really know how to do much, but I have this impression that if I want to accomplish a goal I can with a little bit of research and help.

I appreciate a map for it's goal. If it's a map that is targeted to work in every source port, I appreciate the limitations (and the work arounds and loopholes). I'm learning a lot and having fun... that's what makes it worth it.

I think I sit somewhere in the middle. (I don't think I do anything to complex, but I do try to put a little extra detail into my stuff.) All in all, I think each map is reflective, to some degree, of the mapper him/her self. There's a trade off... You get to make lots of fun maps and a person who details to the extreme will put out considerably less (maybe).

I feel like if you're making a map to act like an original doom adventure (pWAD) then sticking with the aesthetic of original doom is crutch and maps with lots of detail don't really seem to feel like Doom.

I was born in '85 and my family didn't even have a PC until 1999, so my exposure to Doom was the Super Nintendo and trips to my uncles house. I played Duke Nukem before I ever played Doom, so playing Doom for the first time was like going backwards to some degree. Doom is a catalyst to bigger things IMO. It is a catalyst to the world of modding.

There's a lot of different reasons people map/mod... as long as the gameplay is fun, it doesn't matter how, "simple" or "complex" something is. The mentality of some mappers that might be considered complex might not allow them to see it that way. There is always something to learn and something to gain.

I don't really have the PC power to do stuff in Unreal/Unity etc., so DooM is the natural choice. I have come to really appreciate how significant Doom is in the broad scheme of things and for that reason I can see myself modding it for a long time.

Fonze said:

Good God I wish I could zoom in on that layout pic DMPhobos; that looks awesome! As does the screenshot.

Can't wait for y'all to crank out the next couple maps!

I actually tried to zoom in. lol

Poormetheus said:

Isn't it self-gratifying to rip on new members to the forum? Makes you feel real good, huh?

lol. I think I've messed up the quote tag in the past. You have to admit that it's kinda funny. If someone else doesn't call you a dumbass for it, you'll probably call yourself one later any way.

I see all these amazing screen shots with massively detailed maps. I'm extremely impressed and certain I haven't played any highly detailed wads other than Sgt.Mark's starter pack. I did play Valiant but that has its moments of good detail and not so great.

Someone throw me some download links to these amazingly detailed maps. I want to see how fun they are to play, unless they are empty and just for eye candy.

everennui said:

As long as the map is made with love I think it's usually pretty good. It's nice to see when people put pride in their work. If a map keeps you going that's the only thing that matters.

Part of it for me is about continually learning new things and the new features are fun because they are a new challenge. I know that maintaining compatibility is it's own challenge and I'm not saying that you can't learn from it, but I think the newer sourceports have more, "obvious" possibilities.

I do really like the idea of, "the largest possible audience" being reached for my maps, but Doom is this tiny little program with such amazing power. (G)ZDoom has so much to work with. I don't really know how to do much, but I have this impression that if I want to accomplish a goal I can with a little bit of research and help.

I appreciate a map for it's goal. If it's a map that is targeted to work in every source port, I appreciate the limitations (and the work arounds and loopholes). I'm learning a lot and having fun... that's what makes it worth it.

I think I sit somewhere in the middle. (I don't think I do anything to complex, but I do try to put a little extra detail into my stuff.) All in all, I think each map is reflective, to some degree, of the mapper him/her self. There's a trade off... You get to make lots of fun maps and a person who details to the extreme will put out considerably less (maybe).

I feel like if you're making a map to act like an original doom adventure (pWAD) then sticking with the aesthetic of original doom is crutch and maps with lots of detail don't really seem to feel like Doom.

I was born in '85 and my family didn't even have a PC until 1999, so my exposure to Doom was the Super Nintendo and trips to my uncles house. I played Duke Nukem before I ever played Doom, so playing Doom for the first time was like going backwards to some degree. Doom is a catalyst to bigger things IMO. It is a catalyst to the world of modding.

There's a lot of different reasons people map/mod... as long as the gameplay is fun, it doesn't matter how, "simple" or "complex" something is. The mentality of some mappers that might be considered complex might not allow them to see it that way. There is always something to learn and something to gain.

I don't really have the PC power to do stuff in Unreal/Unity etc., so DooM is the natural choice. I have come to really appreciate how significant Doom is in the broad scheme of things and for that reason I can see myself modding it for a long time.

I give a lot of love and time creating maps, but maybe love, pure love is not enough, I mean... solid gameplay, keen thinking and to be INTO players' mind is one of the tricks of creating something FUN to play.

Original DOOM is not related with textures or complex buildings is with the very soul of playing in an enviroment against enemies, fast or slow, walking or running, killing or being killed... It is a heck of a concept (humble opinion).

I agree with you, mappers and players ALWAYS have something to learn, that is the wonder of DOOM.

The NIGHTMARE! Palace:

And Winter In The City, a Xmas wad I was working on for 2 years. Said this like I sound like a broken record but, there's not enough of that theme. There needs to be more of that:

that's beautiful. everything. love to see this shit.

unfortunately i'm currently in a creative hole. not working on anything at the moment. messed with some boss rooms a couple of days ago but to no avail.

Looks kinda like a location from a weird dream. I like these tall buildings and the pitch black ceiling goes so well with them.

Two giant maps I'm currently working on.

You're welcome to try the 2nd of the two aptly titled 'Hell'. Start off in a Citadel complex, fight your way outside, across a chasm and descend into the abyss... there's a placeholder end-switch down the bottom until I've finished the map.

https://www.mediafire.com/?oxkotnjcco9qa5k

That doom builder shot MistAche! Impressive scale you've got going on there, love the first shot. The doombuilder shot looks like aboriginal art.

MistAche said:

Very cool map man, really enjoyed playing it so far. Question, how'd you get the slanted floors at the start?

I was trying to think how to word it in a way that makes sense, but then I realised it would be easier just to screenshot it in 3D mode and draw on it a bit, heh:

Basically, the slope one the right side is going up and the left side is going down. The one on the left has to be done that way, since there isn't a sector further to the left to reference height from. The one on the right I could have done either way, but pretty much all the other ones in the level are "up" ones like that and I couldn't be bothered to change it to match the left side, heh (there was totally some copy/paste abuse going on here due to laziness).

Or, if the question was just generally "How to makes sloped floors", this method is linetype 181, but there are other ways to do it as well. See the Slope article on the ZDoom wiki.

glenzinho said:

That doom builder shot MistAche! Impressive scale you've got going on there, love the first shot. The doombuilder shot looks like aboriginal art.

Thanks mate, that floating citadel is based on a dream and a piece of art I've drawn... will post it later when I'm free. Give the 2nd map a go (not the citadel map) using the link if you feel inclined.

Benjogami said:

Slowly making progress... I think this area is done though.

cool looking, but is that shot on like... gamma-4 or something?