• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Freedoom name change proposal

Simple.
We have Zauberer instead of Freeheretic
We have Blasphemer instead of Freehexen
Surely, Freedoom must have a change in the final version.
Shouldn't we think of one for the future 1.0 release.
I propose Freedom, with what it pointing towards the name Freedoom and how the title art shows FDoomguy having some chains on him (which are broken free).

Put your title proposals below, and if you have one, give a reason.

Well, we have Blasphemer = (free)Heretic, but the meaning is more or less the same.
We have Zauberer = (free)Hexen, but the meaning... well I don't know the meaning of Zauberer.

A synonym for Doom? Exitium? (it's latin).

But I think Freedoom is a nice play on words.

Well, there has been an attempt at rebranding of sorts some time ago, with the title spelled as Freed∞m. There haven't been any recent updates on the new logo though.

Angry Saint said:

We have Zauberer = (free)Hexen, but the meaning... well I don't know the meaning of Zauberer.

Zauberer is German for 'wizard'. Because Hexen is German for 'witches'.

Angry Saint said:

A synonym for Doom?

Census. :p

More seriously though, real synonyms like "fate", "reckoning" or "judgment" are all boring.

I quite like the idea of a different, unique name, to coincide with the game being more "stand alone" in a future release. We did discuss this a long time ago, but the situation is different now so I'm not sure the majority opinion back then (which was not to change iirc) necessarily holds now.

MrFlibble said:

Well, there has been an attempt at rebranding of sorts some time ago, with the title spelled as Freed∞m. There haven't been any recent updates on the new logo though.

Yes I know that thread. But that is simply a new title style. Freed∞m is still Freedoom.

MrFlibble said:

Then maybe "Freedoom" should be named "Schicksal" (German for 'doom', afaik), to continue the trend.

kuchitsu said:

Lizards and Warriors.

This is a cool name for something fantasy. But Freedoom is more on the sci-fi side.

ChekaAgent said:

Then maybe "Freedoom" should be named "Schicksal" (German for 'doom', afaik), to continue the trend.

Nope.

Let's use "Matryoshka", "Smuta", etc. then.

CWolfRu said:

Let's use "Matryoshka", "Smuta", etc. then.

Smuta is already taken :P Matryoshka would be appropriate if the game featured infinite levels within levels (or monsters within monsters, like a recent mod does?).

There's not German title trend though. It's quite possible that the guys at Raven just thought Hexen sounded cool (and hey, it does!).

Voros said:

Yes I know that thread. But that is simply a new title style. Freed∞m is still Freedoom.

Not necessarily. It could be a fancy spelling of Freedom, which you suggested. Infinite Freedom.

MrFlibble said:

Not necessarily. It could be a fancy spelling of Freedom, which you suggested. Infinite Freedom.

Too fancy, don't you think. Let's say a newcomer takes Freedoom and sees the title. Will he think of Infinite Freedom or Freedoom at first glance?

And why don't we keep the title English and simple so everyone can understand what it means(unless it works). I never knew Zauberer was an actual word until now.

And the guy above me is probably right. They might have just thought the Hexen sounds cool and has that 'H' from Heretic, linking them both in a way.

When I was puzzling over this last night I wondered if some greek or roman name from myth would be good. Unfortunately Icarus and Daedalus are both taken.

Maybe something beyond history? Something that is present with us and we never really notice?

I'm still keeping my Freedom proposal up, just in case.
How about using the name of a planet?

Intersecting with the Greek or Roman theme a bit, though, for most of our planets :)

If it weren't too close to Doom I'd suggest Phobos or Deimos.

Jon said:

Intersecting with the Greek or Roman theme a bit, though, for most of our planets :)

If it weren't too close to Doom I'd suggest Phobos or Deimos.

Where exactly does Freedoom's story takes place?

How about calling it Io?

Voros said:

Where exactly does Freedoom's story takes place?

That's a good question. As far as I know, there is not currently a blessed official Freedoom story.

Voros said:

How about calling it Io?

Not great to search for.

I guess it is boring to search for.
Titan maybe?

Or something even more classic: the Moon!

Story can be discussed elsewhere.

In my local area, there are a couple of failing schools that seem to change their names once every few months. I guess they think that rebranding will give them a fresh start, but changing the name hasn't done anything for their poor reputation.

What I'm trying to say is that the Freedoom name is not the problem with the project, and a name change may send the wrong message. In my opinion, the project's main problem is a lack of direction. A rebrand is not going to change that.

The name Freedoom does have some advantages. It is unique and easily searchable. I did a Google search and there are 389,000 results, most of them relevant. It is also the name that is familiar to the existing player base.

MrFlibble said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I have had some thoughts about how to make it look better. I should get back to it.

Voros said:

I guess it is boring to search for.
Titan maybe?

Or something even more classic: the Moon!

Story can be discussed elsewhere.

Again, why we should change the current name?
I don't get it, really. FreeDoom Free - to going. Doom - to your destiny.

cwolf is right there is no need to change the name. it would only make our project even more obscure

We won't just distribute Freedoom knowing it doesn't have some story (at least Doom has a small plot) or a title that really doesn't match with the game plot. It's what makes a game juicy.

I know: story is not that important... but it is there. And Freedoom lacks some specific bits of info, like where?

I'm not saying the title should be changed right now, but in the future 1.0 release.
Just to keep it in check is all I'm saying.

But if you guys (the project contributors) are against it, OK. Just keep it in mind.

FreeDoom is already a clever play on Freedom.

Honestly.. I think it's better to focus on what's at hand, rather than what's in store for the future for now. There' still plenty to do, and a name change seems highly redundant as it is either.