Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

They Messed Up the "Classic Doom" Levels

Linguica said:

Come on, there is a 0% chance that id Software made a calculated decision to have the classic-Doom easter eggs purposely look worse in order to maximize the difference with Doom 2016's graphics.

I'll admit, it's much more likely that the finessing-in of the classic Doom content was simply rushed, especially given the texture problems. If the full levels turn out to have the same issue, or if the lighting gets addressed in a patch, then never mind, but in the meantime I think it's at least a little more plausible than zero percent.

In the example we've seen from the foundry level, the placement of the secret (in an area of lower lighting) seems to have been played for effect, and fidelity aside, flat lighting makes sense toward getting the novelty across, especially to a player unfamiliar with the Doom 1 and 2, alongside the drop in texture resolution, the way-simplified level geometry, the sudden absence of ambient particle effects, etc.

I don't like debating authorial/developer intent, and I'm not all that bugged about the Easter egg issues. I'm just surprised that possibility hadn't occurred to anyone else. Seemed reasonable to me.

Linguica said:

All you <select> <option>butthurt crybabies</option> <option>whiny old men</option> <option>dumb children</option> </select> need to stop complaining. <select> <option>I didn't even notice until someone posted a comparison</option> <option>It doesn't even make a difference to how it looks</option> <option>It actually looks better upside down anyway</option> </select>. Anyways I am sure that <select> <option>this was all made by one junior intern</option> <option>this was put together at the last minute</option> <option>it was hard enough to convert the old levels</option> </select> so maybe give them a break. Instead you should <select> <option>feel grateful that they did it at all</option> <option>leave if it bothers you so much</option> <option>kill yourself</option> </select>.

Still no JokeWAD....

DooM_RO said:

Still no JokeWAD....

Sir, you should go get an eye exam.

MetroidJunkie said:

https://www.mediafire.com/?4dpluefx3erzk9m

Slade's Doom palette converter kept screwing up the colors which baffles me since it's literally the same texture flipped upside down so screw it, they're in png form so ZDoom is required and GZDoom is recommended.

Thanks for giving us the option to do this, Ling. :)

Also, I'm extremely sorry.

Tritnew said:

Now that is what I call "forming my own opinion". I like it very much, it doesn't make my brain hurt :) More forums should offer dynamic posts like is :) (that's how parallel universe get started, don't they?)

everybody gets mad at everything these days, hell the Doom area in RAGE wasn't perfect and I didn't throw a hissy fit because it was 100% accurate

That's just one room, though, this is going to be entire levels completely botched. No, it's not because they're different, it's because they were made worse.

MetroidJunkie said:

That's just one room, though, this is going to be entire levels completely botched. No, it's not because they're different, it's because they were made worse.

We don't know if the full versions of the levels have the same issues or not yet though.

LittleBurger said:

We don't know if the full versions of the levels have the same issues or not yet though.

Doesn't bode well, though, that their showcasing is like this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

MetroidJunkie said:

Doesn't bode well, though, that their showcasing is like this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

True. The way the at least known easter egg is presented does make in lean in that direction.

Piper Maru said:

What the heck, the first page is upside down? Such laziness on behalf of Doomworld, the forums are RUINED.

Truly a dick move to us, I cant belive that theyre this lazy! I mean doomworld has been around for 20+ years!! And this is what they give us?! Bullshit! This is an outrage! An outrage i tell you !!1!1!!1?1!!!111

HellVain said:

doomqorld has been around for 20+ years!

Holy crap, that makes Doomqorld even older than Doomworld! What's their URL?

Doomkid said:

Holy crap, that makes Doomqorld even older than Doomworld! What's their URL?

How would Doomqorld be pronounced?

Sorry to bump up the thread but it's official. They've got entire Doom levels without any lighting whatsoever. Also, some of these texture misalignment are just ridiculous, like they just didn't care.

At this point I really don't give a shit at all, just like they didn't give a shit about the Classic DOOM levels.

If It was made at the last minute, It was made at the last minute. If they care enough to fix It In a next update, they can.

Just giving my opinion. Why bother making this if they didn't care? They could have left it out and nobody would have said a single thing about it because they wouldn't have known what they missed. Instead, they give us a half-assed slap to the face. Maybe they'll fix it in an update, who knows.

I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna creep, down in Pumpkin Hill I can find... emeralds.

MetroidJunkie said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7hHnXvAAGU

Sorry to bump up the thread but it's official. They've got entire Doom levels without any lighting whatsoever. Also, some of these texture misalignment are just ridiculous, like they just didn't care.

I noticed they even flipped the switch texture at 2:45. The part of the switch you pull should be to the right of the buttons, not to the left! lol :-P

MetroidJunkie said:

Man that looks terrible. At least they could've done x/y sprite billboarding so the items don't look like paper when you look down. Also, what's with there being one enemy to replace all the former humans? There was a nice mix of pistol and shotgunners in the original.

Yeah some of that does look pretty bad, eh, nothing we can really do right now. Maybe send in some complaints and maybe they will fix it in the future, I dunno.

Silverforte said:

Yeah some of that does look pretty bad, eh, nothing we can really do right now. Maybe send in some complaints and maybe they will fix it in the future, I dunno.

True. At least the game itself kicks major ass! Maybe they dumped so much effort into the actual game, when it came time to do the Easter Eggs they were so exhausted they just half-assed it, LOL.

Also, what's with the scaling? Doom Guy looks way taller than he needs to be, unless they're saying the original Doom Guy was just short. He's practically bumping into ceilings.

I Find it silly that you cannot cancel the Pickup animation for weapons, Especially when getting attacked .