Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkdave1985

need help in mapping!

hey to everyone,

i need help in some things. one would be. how can i build in my map, that a door or lift must be activated with two or more switches? i don't know how to do it. and the second question would be. how does it work, that a door need 3 or all 6 keys? when anyone knows it, please help me.

thanks!

djd

I'll give you a long tutorial.
Open Doom Builder or GZdoom Builder (can be one of these 2.)

Make a new map, use this format (for a door with all 6 keys required)

Let's load a iwad, make new map.
Now here's how to make what you want to do (The Door with 6 keys)

Make a Room that looks like this, can be any look, but make sure there's a little rectangle with the form of a door!

Now, go into 3d mode (Q) and Press E and D to move.

Select your door sector. (Gif may take a while to load, don't worry)

Lower it this way, now, press Q 2 times to reload the 3d mode, And then, click on both missing textures 64x64 and right click.

Something like "Edit Linedefs (2)" Should appear.

Go into the Front/Back menu

and, you should see this

To fix this, just click that error, and change the texture to something you may like :) (Should be a door.)

Later, if this is done Go back into that Properties menu

Find something like this.

Put these configurations to both of them.

Now, save your map, since it's UDMF, Get gzdoom (if you don't have it), and start up your map, enjoy!

thesecondcomingdoom said:

Lower it this way

In GZDB, you can press PageDown to lower the ceiling to the height of the next lower adjacent floor or ceiling. In this case this should be the floor of the same sector.

press Q 2 times to reload the 3d mode

Why is this needed?

Also, you've forgot to set the "Repeatable action" flag.

first, thanks for answering. i have a big map, which i'm working on over a year menawhile and in this map, i want to try these things. i made it in db1 and it needs cc4-tex to play and is made for gzdoom. when i open this map in doombuilder 1 or 2, there is no game configuration for me like "GZDOOM" and so on. so i opened it in gzdoom builder and then there is this configuration. but when i choose it, the map slot from my map dissappears (map26) and i can't open my map anymore. when i choose another game configuration just for trying, a list appears with a million erros and i can not open the map either. i don't know why this things are so fucking complicated. i really need one, who's sitting beside me and show me everything. i love this game and love mapping but there's a million things, which i can not do and which don't work, even when im trying hard. can anyone help me, with the 2 or more switches thing that activates something, which was my first question i think? that would be nice,

thanks!

djd

darkdave1985 said:

snip

Hey, i understand what's your problem, You will have to make map26 from scratch in the GZdoom Format. and if your maps disappear, that's normal. But, sorry. you will need to make it from scratch, or just CTRL+C and CTRL+V it.

MaxED said:

In GZDB, you can press PageDown to lower the ceiling to the height of the next lower adjacent floor or ceiling. In this case this should be the floor of the same sector.

Why is this needed?

Also, you've forgot to set the "Repeatable action" flag.

whoops, I forgot the repeatable action, but in the Reload thing for Q is because sometimes it glitches for me :(

Don't forget to make the door tracks Lower Unpegged or they will move with the door and look bad.

that also don't work, when i try it from scratch. i open a new map with gzdoom builder and the "gzdoom - doom2 udmf configuration" but then gzdoom builder has a problem with slimdx and whatever else. error warning which appears:

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
CompilationException while loading effect display2d.fx: SlimDX.CompilationException ---> SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND: n/a (-2147024770)
bei SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
bei SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
bei SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
bei SlimDX.CompilationException.Check[T](Int32 hr, String errors)
--- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
bei SlimDX.Direct3D9.Effect.FromMemory(Device device, Byte[] memory, Macro[] preprocessorDefines, Include includeFile, String skipConstants, ShaderFlags flags, EffectPool pool, String& compilationErrors)
bei SlimDX.Direct3D9.Effect.FromStream(Device device, Stream stream, Macro[] preprocessorDefines, Include includeFile, String skipConstants, ShaderFlags flags, EffectPool pool, String& compilationErrors)
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.D3DShader.LoadEffect(String fxfile) in x:\Source\Core\Rendering\D3DShader.cs:Zeile 121.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.D3DShader.LoadEffect(String fxfile) in x:\Source\Core\Rendering\D3DShader.cs:Zeile 141.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Display2DShader..ctor(ShaderManager manager) in x:\Source\Core\Rendering\Display2DShader.cs:Zeile 51.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.ShaderManager.ReloadResource() in x:\Source\Core\Rendering\ShaderManager.cs:Zeile 113.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.ShaderManager..ctor(D3DDevice device) in x:\Source\Core\Rendering\ShaderManager.cs:Zeile 70.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.D3DDevice.Initialize() in x:\Source\Core\Rendering\D3DDevice.cs:Zeile 307.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.MapManager.InitializeNewMap(MapOptions options) in x:\Source\Core\General\MapManager.cs:Zeile 264.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.NewMap() in x:\Source\Core\General\General.cs:Zeile 1085.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.Action.Begin() in x:\Source\Core\Actions\Action.cs:Zeile 252.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.InvokeAction(String actionname) in x:\Source\Core\Actions\ActionManager.cs:Zeile 407.
bei CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.InvokeTaggedAction(Object sender, EventArgs e) in x:\Source\Core\Windows\MainForm.cs:Zeile 449.
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

----------------------------------------------------

i forget it for right now, i have no nerves for all these things. if anyone could help me with the other swtich question, would be nice.

good night!

djd

Easy way to make doors is to just select a sector where you want a door to be and then just shift+d or use the make a door out of selection in gzdoom builder. This way you don't have to worry about pegging textures or sectors height.

I also recommend udmf map format if you don't care about support of nonadvanced engines. udmf is more versatile than other formats and lots of specials are unified so you don't need different a linespecial for eg. a door that opens but not close.

edit: for that error log, do you have all the required NET.frameworks installed? Maybe try installing this:
https://slimdx.org/download_sep11.php
or try reisntalling gzdoom builder

No need to make from scratch, there should be a convereter to the UDMF format somewhere. Btw 3 key doors are also possible in Boom, so maybe no need to use UDMF.

GZdoom Format

There is no such thing. There are 3 MAP formats: Doom, Hexen and UDMF. When you select a game configuration, the editor will show you only the maps, which support the chosen map format. Also, GZDB comes with a lot of game configurations, but most of them are initially disabled. Go to Game configurations window (F6) to enable them (I guess you'll need to enable the "GZDoom - Doom 2 (Hexen)" one).

darkdave1985 said:

CompilationException while loading effect display2d.fx: SlimDX.CompilationException

This usually means you'll need to update either DirectX 9, or your videocard drivers (or both).

MaxED said:

There is no such thing. There are 3 MAP formats: Doom, Hexen and UDMF. When you select a game configuration, the editor will show you only the maps, which support the chosen map format. Also, GZDB comes with a lot of game configurations, but most of them are initially disabled. Go to Game configurations window (F6) to enable them (I guess you'll need to enable the "GZDoom - Doom 2 (Hexen)" one).

??

back on thread : well, yes, i recommend boom or hexen, but i'm pretty fine with UDMF and it's what i mostly use now.

Map format defines structure of lumps in which the map is saved, which in turn has an effect on which features may be technically possible. "Game configuration" is just an abstract concept of a mapping editor, each game configuration makes the map saved in a specific map format and makes certain ingame features available in the editor, because those features are expected to exist in a specific target engine (for example GZDoom) that you want to be mapping for, which is why you choose such a game configuration.

darkdave1985 said:

i forget it for right now, i have no nerves for all these things. if anyone could help me with the other swtich question, would be nice.

Check out scrpt 4 in Tormentor's TNT3.

There he has 2 sequences which require 2 switches to be activated for completion of some action.
In this case to open a door.

int c ;   // number of switches

script 4 (void)
//  first sequence
{
        if ( c == 1 )
          {
                print ( s: "\cCSequence Complete" );
                door_open ( 5, 30 );
          }

else
          {
                print ( s:"\cC",  s:count[c],  s:" more to go" );
                thing_spawnnofog ( 9,  6, 128 );
                thing_spawnnofog ( 8, 6,  0);
                c++;
          }
}

That 2 or more switches thing can also be done in vanilla with "joined" dummy sectors. You might be limited to using ceilings rather than doors, losing the fancy door sound, but that's not a big loss. On the flip side, if these switches are to be activated in a particular sequence, you could easily accomplish it and keep the door sound.