Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

No early Doom review copies for anyone

mistercow said:

It's not important. But it's better to have general reviewer opinion then what is basically pre approved marketing videos.

For sure.

chubz said:

For sure.

I guess. When I played the original Dooms (or basically any game that I buy unless I play it at a buddy's house first or something) I didn't go by what other people said. I thought it looked good so I bought it. Then Doom II. Then Doom 3. And now Doom 4. I personally don't think it's a big deal if we have to make our own judgment and buy it before someone else hypes it up or totally bashes it. I just can't get what the big deal is.

mistercow said:

And these games are?
This isn't nearly the same thing as not sending out reviews copies. When a review embargo lifts for a game the same day it comes out the reviewer gets a chance to play the game, finish it and write a review for it before it comes out. When a reviewer doesn't get a code he has to play the game, finish it and write the review while the game is out to the public which in some cases could take days.
There is a reason that bethseda gave to Laura Kate's company, destructoid thats totally bullshit.
"As you know DOOM is comprised of single player, multiplayer and snap map. After discussing, we believe that all 3 elements are important parts of the doom experience. As DOOM's snap map mode reqiures access to a server which won't be up till launch day. Review copies will be given out on launch day."
Not only is this bullshit because bethseda let youtubers play snapmap ahead of time and let them publish videos on youtube about it. So let's imagine that what bethseda said is true. Bethseda did not send out codes for the single player and let reviewers finish the review on launch day by playing the other 2/3rds of the game. So no bethseda does not have a good excuse.
I've had this game preordered since march and I'm not going to refund it. I'm gonna play this game regardless. What I'm saying is spinning bethseda not letting the press play the game before launch when they don't have a pass history of this as anything but bad thing is crazy.

It's not important. But it's better to have general reviewer opinion then what is basically pre approved marketing videos.

I really hope that's false info on snapmap being online only because then that's just counter productive on custom SP levels.

Are you going to say "That footage sure looks cool. But wait they aren't giving out review copies, it's going to suck."

Stop being paranoid and use your own judgement based on what you've seen. Stop letting irrelevant details sway your opinion so drastically.

Are review copies still necessary? Always felt like a ploy to just get games before everyone else and feel superior about it. Maybe not.

NodEliteX5 said:

I really hope that's false info on snapmap being online only because then that's just counter productive on custom SP levels.

Yeah. You keep saying that.

In fact, you appear to be the origin of this rumor, based on your other thread, as no one else seemingly has heard of it anywhere else.

So I take it there is no rumor, and it's only self-speculation that you're trying to ignite like a wildfire... for what purpose, I do not know.

Buckshot said:

Yeah. You keep saying that.

In fact, you appear to be the origin of this rumor, based on your other thread, as no one else seemingly has heard of it anywhere else.

So I take it there is no rumor, and it's only self-speculation that you're trying to ignite like a wildfire... for what purpose, I do not know.

I'm basing it off on what @mistercow said. I'm not a troll that starts crap for no reason, I'm a decent person.

NodEliteX5 said:

I'm basing it off on what @mistercow said. I'm not a troll that starts crap for no reason, I'm a decent person.

Gotcha. Thanks for the referenced source, just looking into legtimacy/further info this rumor. Going through @mistercows twitter now. Also, I apologize for lunging at your throat like that... but I've seen a lot of poop being slung at the new doom from questionable, no-reference posters. Again, sorry... was a dick move.

Buckshot said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the referenced source, just looking into legtimacy/further info this rumor. Going through @mistercows twitter now. Also, I apologize for lunging at your throat like that... but I've seen a lot of poop being slung at the new doom from questionable, no-reference posters. Again, sorry... was a dick move.

No problem dude, I'm just concerned about the SP content for DOOM.

As long as we don't jump into this expecting the Doom we all fell in love with back in the 90s, we'll be fine. The fact is that id software isn't made up of the same guys anymore...not by a long shot. Just play it for what it is...a new game that had never been made before. There will probably be mission objectives and all sorts of things that weren't in the originals.

Fuck off, love the originals, and either like the new incarnation or don't. Don't bitch about it, because that'll just make you a bitch. Besides, any points you make are going to be irrelevant ego masturbation at best.

I think it's impossible to recapture that flame of the original Doom, at the time it was something different and new. Twenty some years later, we've seen it all. I think Doom 2016 will be a good game, but I don't think it will make a lasting impact.

There's no such a thing as "gaming journalism". Game "journalists" should be required to buy games like everyone else.

I have seen enough to know if I played the equivalent of the Demo's gameplay shown for 13 hours I would be happy. I already know I'm one of the few who approves of the multiplayer and even if Snapmap turns out to be rather limiting I know it does enough to still have some fun with it.

There has to be a big hidden flaw somewhere in the game to really grind my gears. But I suspect there is awesome content Bethesda and id Software are hiding until release.

Guest MIND
Piper Maru said:

but I don't think it will make a lasting impact.

What makes you say that?

If anything it will be better than the original Dooms. Better graphics for one, better visuals. All we need are more modding tools and you have something that's much more advanced and just plain exciting.

Just because the same guys aren't working on it doesn't really mean much.

Buckshot said:

Looks pretty solid to me thus far. I'm not buying because of the critics opinion. I'm buying it because of mine.

Even if it flops, and it's the last DOOM game ever made, I'll still be playing it over and over again 20+ years from now, just like the classics and DOOM 3.

But I doubt that it will be anything less than badass, despite sales figures.

I'm willing to bet they unsure of how the critics will interpreut a game like DOOM in today's day and age, so playing it safe.

Same way I feel about it. It might be a political move since all the game sites where quick to jump on the bandwagon for talking shit about the mp, the reviewing thing is a 2 way street.

mistercow said:

There is a reason that bethseda gave to Laura Kate's company, destructoid thats totally bullshit.
"As you know DOOM is comprised of single player, multiplayer and snap map. After discussing, we believe that all 3 elements are important parts of the doom experience. As DOOM's snap map and multiplayer modes both reqiure access to a server which won't be up till launch day. Review copies will be given out on launch day."
Not only is this bullshit because bethseda let youtubers play snapmap ahead of time and let them publish videos on youtube about it. So let's imagine that what bethseda said is true. Bethseda did not send out codes for the single player and let reviewers finish the review on launch day by playing the other 2/3rds of the game. So no bethseda does not have a good excuse.

I don't see how someone would be able to analyze 2/3rds (multiplayer and snapmap) of the game in one day.

But it isn't like if reviewers go deep into a game before writing its review.

mistercow said:

And these games are?

They're out there, you can look them up.
An embargo set the day of the game's release doesn't automatically mean the publisher is scared of review scores. Its not even the first time Bethesda has done it, reviews for The New Order didnt appear until its launch, and it scored favorably.
It could literally be as simple as they screwed up getting review copies made, they are scared of it reviewing low, snapmap is completely fucked and doesnt work properly and they dont want that to affect early reviews, the game has a bunch of glitches a day one patch fixes and dont want reviews to affect it, they wanted to make sure the classic doom levels had rightside up textures before copies were sent, WHO KNOWS
The point is, this is such a small thing everyone is getting stuck on when theres enough footage of the game to warrant enough interest in a sale or not.

mistercow said:

"As you know DOOM is comprised of single player, multiplayer and snap map. After discussing, we believe that all 3 elements are important parts of the doom experience. As DOOM's snap map and multiplayer modes both reqiure access to a server which won't be up till launch day. Review copies will be given out on launch day."

Actually that's a perfectly valid reason. The internal server will be an inhouse development server, hooked up with some kind of VPN. This is what they would have shown to "youtubers" as they were all playing it on location.
The server they want live for retail will be a different system that isn't yet live, and the projection for that is "release day", as such all they could do is provide the campaign, which is not the complete game and not what you'd want to give to reviewers, as that would then mean all reviews are based on a missing service.

wheresthebeef said:

Its not even the first time Bethesda has done it, reviews for The New Order didnt appear until its launch, and it scored favorably.

You're missing the point. Wolf:TNO reviews were embargoed until release day, but media outlets still got early copies so that they could actually HAVE a review ready to go on release day. If the lady on that podcast is correct, reviewers won't even GET Doom 2016 until release day, so it will take several days after that for reviews to start coming out (and there will be a stupid race to scrawl out a crappily written half-assed review as fast as possible, which is exactly the reason why publishers starting enforcing review embargoes to begin with).

Y'know sometimes I worry about this game, then I remembered I played it with some Misters (quite literally actually) and I had a blast

If you're actually worried that not releasing early copies will hurt the game, watch this, trust me you'll feel better

BluePineapple72 said:

Y'know sometimes I worry about this game, then I remembered I played it with some Misters (quite literally actually) and I had a blast

If you're actually worried that not releasing early copies will hurt the game, watch this, trust me you'll feel better

:D

Linguica said:

You're missing the point. Wolf:TNO reviews were embargoed until release day, but media outlets still got early copies so that they could actually HAVE a review ready to go on release day. If the lady on that podcast is correct, reviewers won't even GET Doom 2016 until release day, so it will take several days after that for reviews to start coming out (and there will be a stupid race to scrawl out a crappily written half-assed review as fast as possible, which is exactly the reason why publishers starting enforcing review embargoes to begin with).

What's your suggestion, then?

Kinda feel like they'd like to let the uncharted and whatever else hype simmer a bit maybe? I mean it's only by a few days, but it's a possibility I guess.

Either way I myself have no qualms with the decision. I do hope (and believe) it's not because they're nervous about though. I can absolutely understand why some are a bit bothered by it, but for people to choose not to buy until certain YouTube clowns say it's great and throws a big shiny number in their rating box... that I'll never truly wrap my head around.

I've been avoiding some spoilers but have been hit with others, yet generally I know what i'm getting into so i'm pre-purchasing the game with this in mind. Reviews nowadays either clash horribly with user opinion or only serve to reinforce pre-existing opinions, with those believing all the reviews out there being a whole problem of their own. Now if the game's absolutely godawful or won't perform on my PC then I should probably do a chargeback, but for now I really need that preload time due to a 350kb/s download speed on a good day.

Loldoom said:

What's your suggestion, then?

I just came up with this idea.

how about

Bethseda gives outlets review codes before launch

:OOOOOO

mistercow said:

I just came up with this idea.

how about

Bethseda gives outlets review codes before launch

:OOOOOO

Or hard copies.

It's an unusual thing to do, and I get why some Doomers might be freaking out over it, but I know enough about the game to dispel any concerns about its quality. I know exactly what I've pre-ordered, I know exactly what I'm getting.

DoomUK said:

It's an unusual thing to do, and I get why some Doomers might be freaking out over it, but I know enough about the game to dispel any concerns about its quality. I know exactly what I've pre-ordered, I know exactly what I'm getting.

Exactly what I did.