Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What are the most beautiful maps you've ever seen?

All Vrack Maps except for 0.

Those were also a great example when I was studying structure and detailing from about 2 years ago.

Comatose deserves a mention, particularly the northwestern vista from the grassy area with the railroad bridge and the entire village on the other side of the river. Talk about excessive detailing, heh.

And no love for Winter's Fury?

I've seen many beautiful maps, while two of them really got me, didn't know why exactly those two. It's Map20 from Alien Vendetta and The Dying End by Christopher Lutz.

Slaughterfest 2012 MAP 21. Nice fortress design and feeling in it, and I'm one of those who loves geometry.

dew said:

And no love for Winter's Fury?

I was going through this thread and becoming more and more shocked at the lack of mention of Winter's Fury, and then you finally called it out.

kuchitsu said:

What is Vrack 0? o,o

Vrack 0 is one of the maps from that series, but crappy structure and little to no gameplay whilst the others, better structure and gameplay.

Omegalore said:

Vrack 0 is one of the maps from that series, but crappy structure and little to no gameplay whilst the others, better structure and gameplay.

It's a joke wad. I don't think I made it. The funny thing is that I'm not 100% sure. I made a few stupid joke wads back in the day that I shared with a other people in private (three maps ended up in Mock 2). I have no memory of making this one, and I can't tell from the map and the text file whether that's me trying to emulate someone else parodying myself or if it's someone else actually parodying me. Some minor details in the text file suggest that I didn't write it; for example, I don't think I've ever used "cuz", ironically or not. If I didn't make it, my first guess would be Hyena (heisanevilgenius), but it could be someone else. Uploading something that stupid to idgames would certainly have been within my reach, though.

Can't think of anything but maps by Pyroscourge, Ribbiks or Insane Gazebo.

cybdmn said:

I've seen many beautiful maps, while two of them really got me, didn't know why exactly those two. It's Map20 from Alien Vendetta and The Dying End by Christopher Lutz.

i like all of alien vendetta for this actually now that i think about it.

Probably the Vracks. Unless you don't count the madskillz I made -- you know, every mother loves her children the most, haha.

Gothic Box said:

What I'd give for a whole megawad's worth of Viggles-quality maps...

Given that Breach took about a year and a half to get done, what you'd have to give is either a cloning machine or a 48-year supply of ramen.

valiant, sunder, sunlust. about the visually most impressive stuff off the top of my head.

Voros said:

Does Going Down count?

In what twisted, insane world would it not count? Going down is fantastic!

I think the hell on earth pack has the best looking city maps for doom because they always give you a good warlike atmosphere.

Viggles said:

Given that Breach took about a year and a half to get done, what you'd have to give is either a cloning machine or a 48-year supply of ramen.

hmm, I don't know if I have exactly $20,968.88 on me, do you?

It would be nice if somebody groups the most beautiful maps by category...

Vanilla:
limit-removing:
Boom/MBF:
Legacy:
JDoom:
ZDoom 1.22/ZDoom 1.23b33/ZDaemon/Odamex:
(G)ZDoom 2.X/Skulltag/Zandronum:
Risen3d(?):
Vavoom(??):

Alongside those already mentioned, Bauhaus impressed me with it's design.

Lore said:

Slaughterfest 2012 MAP 21. Nice fortress design and feeling in it, and I'm one of those who loves geometry.

Eyyyy lemme stroke my ego just a wee bit here :P

As for the thread topic, I'd have to say a large portion of Hellbound and Sunlust are quite magnificent, as well as some of the hell maps from Valiant. And since I've played some of it, Ancient Aliens is looking really nice.

Diamhea said:

I had to stop my DV2 playthrough at that one. My laptop couldn't handle that map. Every time I looked toward the main structure it dropped to about .5 fps. 2014 laptop too. Crazy

It's actually the 1000+ imps in the narrow hallway behind the structure's door that cause the frame drops, not the structure itself.

MAP13 of Sunder is gorgeous. It's fun to play, too.

rileymartin said:

Map 24 in Hellbound is probably the best looking hellish city map I've played.

Great choice. Many maps from that wad will stick with me forever. MAP08 has to be the most appealing mountain/tech hybrid I've ever played.