Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom Reborn - Doom replica on idtech4

I invite you to play a pre-beta version of Doom Reborn - a replica of classic Doom recreated on idtech4 engine. I collaborate with Doom Reborn team as a graphic/3d modeller. If you expect some more advenced architecture or level layout - I have to disappoint you, because the main goal of this mod is to recreate classic Doom with his dynamic gameplay but with better graphics and lighting - so I call this a replica instead of remake. So far there is only pre-beta v.1.5 version, so there is still some bugs here and there (expect many texture misalignment). GameHacker, which is the project leader still working on it, adn he doing really titanic work with all this levels (you can play even e1m8b).

You can download Doom Reborn mod here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doomreborn

Also, make sure you download and install this important modification:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex6f9nphhmipsvh/Enhanced_DoomReborn_v15_updateonly.zip?dl=0

This is required if you want gameplay similar to original Doom, but there is still some bugs here - like messed up sounds in some cases.
If you have too bright specular reflections just type in the console "toggle r_testArbProgram".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW50UFcadac&feature=youtu.be

It looks pretty cool!

Any plans on replacing the default Doom 3 shotgun with the Alpha Doom 3 shotgun which has recently been finished, and resembles the classic Doom shotgun more? I mean the only thing it would need to look like the classic one is to retexture the pump to be wooden and that's really it man!

Besides.... the Alpha Doom 3 shotgun looks a bit more trusty if you know what I mean eh? ;)

Anyway, it looks awesome! Keep up the good work! :D

DoomzRules said:

the Alpha Doom 3 shotgun which has recently been finished, and resembles the classic Doom shotgun more

It looks nothing like the Classic Shotgun .

Looks like a serious effort. Only the status bar seems kinda unfinished: the red number font and especially the key marks have a very MSPaint-y feel I think. But you probably already know this.

The imp model looks too blocky and low poly tbh. Especially in the shot with the feet.

kuchitsu said:

Only the status bar seems kinda unfinished: the red number font and especially the key marks have a very MSPaint-y feel I think. But you probably already know this.

I still work on red font and I have finished new menu for now:

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It looks nothing like the Classic Shotgun .

Yes it does! It looks more sleek and less bulky!

The Classic Shotgun was not bulky!!

Ah well... maybe the Doom 3 Alpha Shotgun compatibility with the mod can just be an addon I guess?

Glad to see a thread made for this over here. Y'all have done a fantastic job on the mod so far!

Looks pretty fantastic. I think I will enjoy this and perhaps finally get my money's worth with DOOM 3.

Awesome, I have been following your guys progress on moddb. Glad to see a thread here for it. A promising project.

Just played through the first two levels of E1, and I was really impressed with how close to the original Doom this plays!

The main place where I found room for improvement is the sounds. Some of the sounds were played in the wrong place, such as the door sounds being used for lifts. One time I had a zombieman cry "MEIN LEBEN!" when killed, which should only be used for the Wolfenstein SS.

Also, the low sample rate of the original Doom sounds is really jarring compared to the newer sound effects. In my opinion, the sounds from Per Kristian's sound pack would probably work better.

Would be great if you were able to use the chaingun model from the other Classic Doom 3 TC.

Hot damn, looks really good, will be giving this a whirl soon for sure :)

Would love to play this, but an error message appears everytime I start it.

Unknown command 'vid_restart'
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...shutting down QGL
Couldn't load default.cfg

Could the reason be my Steam version of Doom 3?

MSPaintR0cks said:

Here's a patch i made
Extract it inside the main Doom 3 Folder, and try copying the default.cfg from base folder and paste it inside the mod folder .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Here's a patch i made
Extract it inside the main Doom 3 Folder, and try copying the default.cfg from base folder and paste it inside the mod folder .

Hey, thanks a lot :D
Still, this appears:

Initializing renderSystem --------
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...shutting down QGL
_default material not found

No idea whats up with that...

MSPaintR0cks said:

Hey, thanks a lot :D
Still, this appears:

No idea whats up with that...

Welp, looks like the default.cfg old trick didn't work, Ask the dev :/ .

MSPaintR0cks said:

I was talking with Dafama2k7 (is the author of additional mod files) but he said that it was some strange problem which he can't reproduce. Maybe this is something with your Doom3 steam version. Here's what he said:

"... maybe it should update its gfx drivers or if it have an ATI/AMD gfx card, should disable the AI from the gfx drivers, or maybe he not use the doomreborn.exe to start the game or maybe he do not use my .cmd file for start the game, or it can be many possibilities and without being in front its computer is hard to reproduce"

Definitely not. This is a replica which have the same blocky architecture as original Doom, so I would be disappointed if Doom 2016 looks like that.

TheMightyHeracross said:

inb4 "What Doom '16 should've been" comments.

What is the point of this? anyways looks great Reinchard, was this the end product of your doom to doom 3 project? Looks sweet, can't wait to try it out.

Doesn't appeal to me at all. While the textures themselves seem like good and faithful hi-res replacements, the problem is that like with most other "HD" versions of classic games, they don't enhance the game rather than highlight how bland and unrefined the original level geometry actually is. It works in the original game, because its pixelated low-res nature creates a comic-like look, but the more realistic the content gets, the more it requires level changes to accomodate the style/visual fidelity.

What is up with all of those unrelated non-mod videos on the ModDB page?

Glaice said:

What is up with all of those unrelated videos on the ModDB page?

To be honest I don't know...

My complaint is that he implemented the Classic chaingun but he didn't implement the Alpha shotgun which looks cooler.