Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Hamlet said:

I've never beaten (or played) any level of any Doom on Nightmare.

Well you aren't missing out since that mode is crap for anything other than speedrunning.

rileymartin said:

Well you aren't missing out since that mode is crap for anything other than speedrunning.

Yeah, I figure you need to memorize the maps fairly thoroughly before doing so, and I can't really be arsed.

Tritnew said:

Here's a confession:

I literally don't give a single shit about Plutonia.

oh

Tritnew said:

Here's a confession:

I literally don't give a single shit about Plutonia.

Somebody got pounded by a Revenant/Chaingunner trap.

TNT Evilution honestly isn't much better, I'm sort of doing a let's play of it and it... doesn't play nice. Hitscans. Freaking. Everywhere. Not even just commandos, but sargents too and they ARE placed where they can flank you and get frustrating. Yes, I'm let's playing Ultra Violence.

I don't care for Aztec/jungle themed Doom maps. If I wanted to play Far Cry, I wouldn't be playing Doom.

Plutonia was pretty much based around Aztec areas for some of its earlier maps, however wasn't Far Cry based around some Japanese island from WWII? There couldn't have been actual Aztec ruins on it.

Avoozl said:

Plutonia was pretty much based around Aztec areas for some of its earlier maps, however wasn't Far Cry based around some Japanese island from WWII? There couldn't have been actual Aztec ruins on it.

You're right, of course. I was just making a loose style comparison. Tomb Raider might have been more accurate, but I wanted to keep it in the same genre.

Plutonia just felt convoluted as fuck for no reason. Same with Master Levels. Thankfully PSX Doom fixed that problem. I <3 PSX Doom + The Lost Levels.

That I can agree, much as Plutonia may be good, it's so overrated that people ignore its flaws, like the cramped layout in some of the maps, the bullshit concept of Hunted, and the Aztec/jungle theme being quite rudimentary nowadays, considering Brotherhood of Ruin and Scythe 2's jungle episode done the theme so much better.

I tried playing Plutonia, really. I played TNT and despite how difficult It was In most parts, It was fun. But Plutonia, I don't have the time to deal with. To me It overall looks ugly or non-appealing.

Don't really see how It's all that good.

Tritnew said:

I tried playing Plutonia, really. I played TNT and despite how difficult It was In most parts, It was fun. But Plutonia, I don't have the time to deal with. To me It overall looks ugly or non-appealing.

Don't really see how It's all that good.

I overcame Plutonia via PSX Final Doom... maybe PSX Final Doom would work the same wonders it worked for me? :3

Plutonia was a tad bit better In PSX Final DOOM, but overall the game was too short.

Reading all of this, the fact that I still enjoy every bit* of Plutonia much more than most of the original IWAD that aren't Romero or McGee's maps is probably on the verge of becoming Confessional Booth material.

*well, a few maps a bit less in third episode, like Impossible Mission, Tombstone, Bunker or Sewer that I suspect of being TNT rejects

In 1st person games, I cannot deal with small enemies that jump at you, or come down at you from the ceiling. For that reason, I've never played Doom 3 further than when those little spider bastards appear. Which is quite early if I recall correctly.

I did finish Half Life back in the day, but that was absolutely grueling and actually physically exhausting for me. Probably wouldn't do it again. Also whenever there is anything Alien related, I'm extremely wary because of the likelihood of facehuggers being in the game. Didn't touch AvP2 with a ten-foot pole for example.

Weirdly enough, I don't even really have arachnophobia in real life. I can deal with spiders or other creepy crawlies just fine. I think it's purely the getting in your face aspect that gets me.

I've only played through the first 5 levels of the Plutonia Experiment (on Ultra-Violence, of course). I always tell myself I'm going to finish TPE, but never do. In the future, I'll break the shackles of procrastination and finally play through the whole thing, lol. I also never played through DOOM Ep.4 on UV (I've beaten it on "I'm Too Young To Die", though). *blushes*

Plutonia is actually praised? I kind of thought it was one of those games that everyone crapped on or, at least, ignored. I don't exactly hear people talking about it much compared to Doom and Doom 2. Of course, unlike Doom 2, Final Doom didn't really add anything except maybe textures and, in TNT's case, music. They were just map packs.

I had absolute hatred towards Plutonia, but that changed once I finally finished it last year.

I like watching my FDAs and speedruns and feeling proud of my "awesome" control, observation skills, abuse of infightings and other engine peculiarities, etc. I think one of the main reasons why I recorded so many demos is because I find it very satisfying to watch them afterwards. Maybe the most interesting aspect of watching your own demos is that you can observe your behavior from an outside point of view, if that makes any sense. Sometimes I'm like: "Wow, did I really manage to dodge that? That's pretty cool." Also I can often be kinda nervous while playing (don't want to die and restart) but on the demos these emotions are rarely noticeable unless I'm doing the gggmork-style headshaking, so again I get a very different perspective on my playing.

I first played Doom when I was 9 or 10 years old, and for some reason I came to the conclusion that BFG stood for "Big Fat Gun." I overheard my dad saying "Big Fucking Gun" and went "Ohhhh, that is ingenious!"

komojo said:

I first played Doom when I was 9 or 10 years old, and for some reason I came to the conclusion that BFG stood for "Big Fat Gun." I overheard my dad saying "Big Fucking Gun" and went "Ohhhh, that is ingenious!"

This... This is the best one I read so far.

Anyways, am I the only one who never found the secret at the beginning of E4M8 until just recently?

kuchitsu said:

I like watching my FDAs and speedruns and feeling proud...

in contrast, I usually just notice how kludgy and inelegant certain parts of my play were, heh.

I do enjoy trying to get a read on player emotion when watching fdas though, it's fun to see when they find something frustrating, rewarding, or if they're carefully anticipating a difficult part, or something... I habitually do the silly head-shaking thing now, even if I'm not recording :p

I rewatched a few of my FDAs some weeks back and was annoyed by how often I did the silly head-shaking thing. It was like every time I took any avoidable damage in a low-pressure situation, even getting hit by a random imp fireball or something. I try to do it less these days. I think my fist pump frequency is alright.

I only starting being able to tolerate my FDAs recently, now that I can actually do badass things occasionally.

I long held the genuine belief that Darkwave was in fact Death-Destiny secretly making a tabula rasa on past dramas and contributing to the community with humility and talent. And I don't even remember why exactly, to be honest.

Either way, I guess it means that I was really passionate about their respective outputs (a passion probably begging to be rekindled whenever I replay them).

How many categories of headshakes are there. I use these ones regularly:

1) The 'mistake' headshake: a quick violent shake of the mouse.
2) The 'big mistake' headshake: usually a lot more erratic and fast than #1, can last longer.
3) The 'pointing out a mapping error' headshake: slow/deliberate, sort of like someone waving, while centering the error in view.
4) The 'found something funny' headshake: less rotation than any of the others, quite a consistent amplitude, lasts longer than #1.
5) The 'oh fuck' headshake: sort of like #2, distinction inferrable from context. (Rarer than the rest.)

let's throw air-fisting while watching some baddies infight on the list of fda-emotes. I also throw some celebratory punches if I spend like 15 minutes looking for a secret and finally find it (or an obscure way to progress, hnnnnrg eternal doom).

6) The "FUCK THIS SHIT" headshake: keep spamming the "180 turn" button while swagging the mouse like crazy and randomly pressing movement and shooting buttons at the same time. Basically a demo-compatible version of slamming the keyboard violently. This is done only after several particularly frustrating deaths on the same map.

Something a bit different, but skepticist will sometimes see what looks like a trap and shoot at it with the chaingun, like "I know this is going to open now". I felt a little embarassed when he did it in a FDA of my map, I hoped it would be less predictable.

Oh, and my favorite headshake of all times here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1156894

I've had countless instances of fucking up a good because I hit "T" when I mean to hit the 5 or 6, or another adjacent key, and I end up ruining a perfectly good run.