Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaskaum

Doom stream

tuo said:

watching this!!!

Anybody reminded of Dante's Inferno with the Hell map in this clip?

What's up with the sound? Enemy sounds sometimes seem to completely mute...similar to Multiplayer beta...

tuo said:

What's up with the sound? Enemy sounds sometimes seem to completely mute...similar to Multiplayer beta...

Can't grunt when your head's blown off?...

Shredder said:

Can't grunt when your head's blown off?...

Not what I mean. There are sections where the music is playing, gunsounds are heard, but enemies are completely silent while attacking. This lasts for a couple of seconds, and then goes back to normal, when he moves around (maybe leaves a sector regarding sound channel and downmix calculation?)

tuo said:

Not what I mean. There are sections where the music is playing, gunsounds are heard, but enemies are completely silent while attacking. This lasts for a couple of seconds, and then goes back to normal, when he moves around (maybe leaves a sector regarding sound channel and downmix calculation?)

Sounds like audio issues heard during the sp stream as well (though I couldn't tell with that one if it was some bug or them having various audio options lowered down some so it wouldn't overtake the talking). I wonder if it is some issue with the engine itself.

Maybe an option was set for 7.1 or 5.1 or something to that effect and it's not coming through the recordings? I dunno. Been wondering this myself.

LittleBurger said:

Sounds like audio issues heard during the sp stream as well (though I couldn't tell with that one if it was some bug or them having various audio options lowered down some so it wouldn't overtake the talking). I wonder if it is some issue with the engine itself.

I wonder the same thing, because they couldn't fix it in between alphas/betas, and the same thing seems to be in this unwanted stream.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, because the athmosphere here is toxic enough at the moment so you can't discuss possible problems in a constructive way without everyhint going down the drain (which is kinda sad :( )

MrDeAD1313 said:

Maybe an option was set for 7.1 and it's not coming through the recordings? I dunno. Been wondering this myself.

Could be, if player sounds and ambient sound is basically downmixed in a different way to dynamic sound. I played the beta both in 5.1 (never heard when someone unloaded one double shotgun after another into me) and then went to simple stereo, and had the same problem. And everything I have seen since looks like it's the same.

I'm no audio game developer guy...it can't be that hard, can it? I am very positive that this problem won't exist coming friday!

Who is suprised, really?

Same thing happend with fallout 4 and most of the bigger AAA-titles from beteshda.

tuo said:

I wonder the same thing, because they couldn't fix it in between alphas/betas, and the same thing seems to be in this unwanted stream.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, because the athmosphere here is toxic enough at the moment so you can't discuss possible problems in a constructive way without everyhint going down the drain (which is kinda sad :( )

Hopefully it is something they can patch out eventually (or someone finds a way to fix it before any official fix for it is released). I think the sounds heard in the game (over the course of the streams/beta)are rather nice, but it will take away from it some if you have points of sounds not popping up when the should.

Specifically I can see the issue of not really hearing sounds coming from behind you as a way for a demon to easily get the drop on you. Similar to how during the beta something similar happened with enemies shooting you from behind and not really getting any feedback of it (usually ending up with you dieing).

magma86 said:

Who is suprised, really?

Same thing happend with fallout 4 and most of the bigger AAA-titles from beteshda.

What happened with Fallout 4? My question is honest! I tried to play it, but found it to be absolutely no fun, and....oh...couldn't understand a word from the guy with the hat with the laser gun in that first kinda town I had to go. Stopped playing it since then (and I kinda liked Fallout 3).

Did Fallout 4 also have audio problems?

Please, please, please don't get me wrong, I don't want to start another "Doom 2016 is dead" thread, just interested! Because I always felt like I missed something because Fallout 4 didn't hook me the slightest and felt unfinished/unpolished to me. Maybe wrong forum here...

tuo said:

What happened with Fallout 4? My question is honest! I tried to play it, but found it to be absolutely no fun, and....oh...couldn't understand a word from the guy with the hat with the laser gun in that first kinda town I had to go. Stopped playing it since then (and I kinda liked Fallout 3).

Please, please, please don't get me wrong, I don't want to start another "Doom 2016 is dead" thread, just interested! Because I always felt like I missed something because Fallout 4 didn't hook me the slightest and felt unfinished/unpolished to me. Maybe wrong forum here...

As far as I could tell from playing it, Fallout 4 had issues with the spoken audio from NPCs cutting out (for me at least). Though I think Fallout 4 actually had better audio with being able to hear enemies that were near you. And yes I think it wasn't polished enough of a game as well, the settlement building system was really felt half done, and the illusion of choice in the game wasn't really as good compared to the game that came before it (though how the cities looked and the like were rather nice, though I think at this point Bethesda does betting at building the landscape/telling stories with it than trying to tell an actual story).

I don't think the quirky audio would kill the game, but it will likely take away from it some depending on how it sounds when playing it for yourself.

LittleBurger said:

I don't think the quirky audio would kill the game, but it will likely take away from it some depending on how it sounds when playing it for yourself.

I only skimmed a bit, and I saw multiple moments where the sound cut out entirely for several seconds--whole game went mute. I would call that game-breaking (and that's coming from someone who typically isn't very critical about games). Not hating, just clarifying. Here's hoping the day-one patch covers it.

MIDIocrites said:

I only skimmed a bit, and I saw multiple moments where the sound cut out entirely for several seconds--whole game went mute. I would call that game-breaking (and that's coming from someone who typically isn't very critical about games). Not hating, just clarifying. Here's hoping the day-one patch covers it.

I wouldn't mind it cutting out completely, because I'd think that is a streaming issue. But there are multiple segments where ingame music and sometimes weapons still make sounds...basically what happened in Multiplayer, only worse.

BluePineapple72 said:

HOLY SHIT THAT GAMEPLAY, THE HELL LEVEL FROM E3 LOOKS SOOO MUCH BETTER

Come on, there is a little reason to talk about stuff that seemed weird. I know that at the current time, everyone who says the slightes thing that is not perfect is beeing made fun off, but that doesn't "feel right", if you ask me. Some constructive critisism should be allowed without beeing made fun off.

tuo said:

Come on, there is a little reason to talk about stuff that seemed weird. I know that at the current time, everyone who says the slightes thing that is not perfect is beeing made fun off, but that doesn't "feel right", if you ask me. Some constructive critisism should be allowed without beeing made fun off.

I think he meant that it looks better than E3 gameplay.

tuo said:

I wouldn't mind it cutting out completely, because I'd think that is a streaming issue. But there are multiple segments where ingame music and sometimes weapons still make sounds...basically what happened in Multiplayer, only worse.

Wow, I can't believe that didn't even occur to me. I didn't hear the specific issue you describe, but I skipped around and only watched a minute or so at a time, mostly later in the video.

tuo said:

No, im sorry. I mean, same thing happend with Fallout 4 and the leaks. It got leaked about a week before the actual release. Regarding your question about Fallout 4, i dont know. I have not played it myself. I will pick it up when it comes out in a GOTY edition with all the seasonpasses and dlc :)

DooM_RO said:

Actually, if you rush the original games you can complete them in under 3 hours. You can finish the first level in under 30 seconds FFS.

uh that's not fair you know the original doom were played millions times already, do you remember if it was 3 hours even the first time? i doubt it

Its pretty funny to see him die all the time. He is an awful player, even for gamepad standards.

The levels look really fun to play in. They definitely went for function over form. Its very clear what gaps you can jump and platforms you can climb. This does not mean the design is ugly, not at all. Its lovingly abstract and over the top (floating platforms, chaings, glowy energy bits). The hell levels (or whatever they are) that take place outside actually look considerably better to me then the inside hell level we were shown in the official stream.

Enemies seem to get around well, no surprises there. Hellknights appear absolutely ruthless in how they chase down the player. They look like heavyweights but have the condition of a flyweight. The Archevile looks gorgeous in how it moves and attacks. Imps are their usual annoying selves (good). Hellrazors still seem extremely slow as do lost souls.

It was played at UV and, apart from the deaths that were obviously due to lack of skill, it did not seem very hard. Made me uncertain whether to play it through on UV or Nightmare. Meh.

Overall; more of the same goodness. With our twitchy friend from the vulkan showcase in mind I cant wait to run and jump and mantle through the levels myself while being chased by demonkin. :)

PS
Is it really a surprise to anyone that id software took some margin with the campaign length? Hell, even in their official stream Marty is careful to answer how long it would take if you rushed through it (direct question). 13 hours or 10 hours. Meh.

magma86 said:

No, im sorry. I mean, same thing happend with Fallout 4 and the leaks. It got leaked about a week before the actual release. Regarding your question about Fallout 4, i dont know. I have not played it myself. I will pick it up when it comes out in a GOTY edition with all the seasonpasses and dlc :)

There was a bug or something with the dialogue audio cutting out at times when npcs spoke (when it first was released), I think they may have fixed that (I haven't really went back and played it again yet though as it disappointed me when it first came out, after the time I have been away from it I may be able to have more fun playing it now).

AnonimVio said:

Yeah, I like Painkiller.

BTW. Some more gameplay.

As it happens, I like Painkiller as well. I'm still resisting the urge to watch the Doom stream. How is the gameplay, is the player constantly on the move zipping around the map?

Piper Maru said:

As it happens, I like Painkiller as well. I'm still resisting the urge to watch the Doom stream. How is the gameplay, is the player constantly on the move zipping around the map?

Yep. Sometimes zipping too much for his own skill (in German [and it might not translate well] I'd quote a famous racing sentence: "when he entered the turn, he ran out of skill, and then, when he exited it, he ran out of road")

Gameplay seemed fluid, and as some people already said, enemies like the Hellknight, the (f***** teleport**** Arch******) really keep you moving. Stand still, and expect 75% of your health beeing depleted in one hit. If it is a Baron, expect to be dead in one hit (that's what it looked like).

It looked like a challenge that one can manage when he is slightly concentrated regarding what he is doing.

holy fuck that has got to be one of the most infuriating piss-inducing gameplays I've seen of this game by far

that guy is downright awful