Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Does "Argent D'Nur" mean something?

Seems like it should mean something. On the surface, argent is an adjective from Latin for "silver". "d'" is usually a Romance language contraction for "de", of, and an apostrophe almost always means a letter is missing from something. The only definition for "nur" is a Malay loan word from Arabic for "light". Well "silver of light" means nothing to me.

I tried some anagrams and none were too interesting (several were amusing though). Though, if you substitute an "R" for the apostrophe you do get, as a possibility:
Grand Return

Dunno. I tried adding an "H" to get EARTH as a possible word but the rest of it remains a nonsense jumble you can't make words out of in that case.

Linguica said:

What's Argent D'Nur?

The name of the world Doomguy apparently came from.

According to the leaks and the lore it seems to be some kind of ancient place, maybe one of the levels?

It's actually an anagramm of Trent Reznor if you don't know how to spell

*truestory

Linguica said:

What's Argent D'Nur?

Spoiler

the realm of Argent D’Nur, a world that was colonized in the First Age of Ascension

tuo said:

It's actually an anagramm of Trent Reznor if you don't know how to spell

*truestory

Oh you...

MrDope said:

Oh you...

My post was not wrong! Basically...
Edit: where is THAT pic from?

"Urgent dinner." It's a subliminal plea from the developers to buy the game so they can feed their families, cleverly passed off as a piece of innocuous lore.

Seriously, though, I've seen some of the place names that crop up in the leaked lore, and I'm guessing they're just tongue-in-cheek. They sound like names H.P. Lovecraft crossed out of his drafts.

Temple of Roxnar
Aether of Torment
The Sacrilegium
Crepuscular Plains

I rattled these off in a minute, and I'm pretty sure they'd sound at home in the audio logs among the others.

I wouldn't be surprised if the demon language you can see around the game can be decoded, that's a thing that many game companies do (343 and forerunner language, and also [not a game] Klingon from Star Trek)

Argent is French for money.

d' is a contraction of de: in, of, or from.

nur is German meaning only.

So Doomguy comes from a place where they are only interested in money. Which makes perfect sense when you think about it.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

So Doomguy comes from a place where they are only interested in money. Which makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Sounds like the UAC itself to me :P

Arguably, also, ZeniMax :P

TheGamePhilosophe said:

ebin meme +1 reblog

9gag.com

In Arabic : Argent may refer to a Silver object, So .... Silver object of Light ... or whatever .

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Mind = blown

Quasar said:

Sounds like the UAC itself to me :P

Arguably, also, ZeniMax :P

They gotta have that money, man.

IT'S A HIT.

If you live in the darkness of the underworld, then Earth would be a world of light. Silver presumably refers to weapons, technology etc. Neat name I guess.

Argent D'Nur sounds like the place where Kal-El would get his Goa'uld bat'leth...

To anyone who already played the game, is Argent D'Nur identical with the ancient Martian civilisation in Doom 3?

Tetzlaff said:

Argent D'Nur sounds like the place where Kal-El would get his Goa'uld bat'leth...

To anyone who already played the game, is Argent D'Nur identical with the ancient Martian civilisation in Doom 3?

Spoiler

Seems like It's just a part of Hell, really. From the looks of It and what I read In the data logs It comes from a place known as what Samuel Hayden calls "The Well". I haven't played through the level, but I'm guessing It's not a civilisation, but some kind of energy source that the Demons have, which of course Is Argent Energy.

It seems to be the home world of the Wraiths and their protectors, the Night Sentinels. It became corrupted by Hell, and Doomguy/Doom Slayer (a Night Sentinel as well) went on a rampage.

Thanks for the info Tritnew and Lanegracabra. Maybe the Martian civilisation was a colony or an outpost of Argent D'Nur.

Buckshot said:

It sounds as terrible as "Olduvai", lol.

What's wrong with Olduvai?

Argent is from that "argent energy" stuff which is the local name of the unobtainium that explains all the pseudoscience bullshit going on, and d'nur is obviously "nurd", so Argent D'nur was a world of pseudoscience nerds.