Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Ancient Aliens - final version on idgames

This looks incredible. I don't normally play single-player wads, but I'll have to play through this I think.

ANOTHER FULL MEGAWAD FROM SKILLSAW??? WHAT THE HELL????

I was wondering if I should return to making Let's Play videos, but it's obviously a sign.

"Dying of boredom, I'll try it all..."

I'll check this out hopefully before my week's worth of vacation next week, looks fucking badass.

Ribbiks said:

(a lot of the maps look like they were made in a similar design mindset as valiant, so perhaps they were made concurrently?)

It reminds me of a time when I was working on both Doom Core and Reverie; imagine how against that the community would have been if they'd have known I was attempting two megawads at once. ;)

I have to say these screens are very impressive...it's not quite like anything I've seen in a Doom WAD before; I especially like the screens for MAP10 and 18.

I still have yet to really get through Valiant myself, but I've played it over ZDaemon a few times. Great stuff...personally, I'd love one day to see something like this in a community WAD with those same monsters/weapons with an atmosphere akin to what we're seeing here. Anyway, I'm certainly interested to see where this thread goes.

Yo, this looks fantastic! There's some great colors and themes going on in those screenshots. Also skillsaw, I'm convinced now that you are a map-making robot :P

Definitely going to check this out as soon as a can!

As someone who is fairly critical of the dominance of vanilla mappacks, I am not only amazed at these screenshots, pleased that this is Boom oriented rather than vanilla, but most importantly, I am glad to see skillsaw back and better than ever ;)

One hundreds of thumbs up from me.

These screenshots look unreallistically good, in the good way. I. Must. Play. This. No, seriously, who the hell needs Doom 4 when we have this...

Not a fan, to be honest. It seems to be becoming more common lately that the best looking maps out there are the ones with obscene levels of difficulty and it's getting tiresome for me. I simply don't find this sort of thing fun, but I love these sorts of appearances in maps, so it's just downright annoying when I can't appreciate the work that's been put into that because the gameplay aggravates me.
If I wanted to be repeatedly torn to shreds by crazy difficulty, I'd play on UV, not HNTR.

Yeah this is looking very very nice, and from the brief playtime I have had it plays well too.
But this of course is stating the freaking obvious when it comes to works by Skillsaw. Now I guess like so many in here we need to do several years of research to find out how you keep doing this. :P
Great job as per usual.

Dynamo said:

One hundreds of thumbs up from me.

Busted alien!

I've played the first two maps, and I've got to say; this plays as good as it looks. I got a futuristic Super Mario World ROMhack vibe from this.

Eris Falling said:

If I wanted to be repeatedly torn to shreds by crazy difficulty, I'd play on UV, not HNTR.

It is only a release candidate, why not contact the members and speak to them in more detail? I'm sure they'd gladly work with you to tailor the lower skill levels to your tastes.

I can only echo the praise this thread is giving.

However, the chaingunner has a weird red flash on his face when firing. Is that intentional? Using GZDoom 2.1.1, BTW

What's going on here? Where the hell did that came from? Jesus H Christ.

Congrats on the release and well done to everybody who've been on board with you. The soundtrack is awesome by the way.

I found an issue while playing on GZDoom; the ENDOOM screen doesn't show when I quit, the program just quits immediately.
And yes, I do have "Show ENDOOM Screen" enabled.

Sweet wad, up to map05 currently and really enjoying the gameplay/visuals! Nice one!

wow this looks damn cool, gonna have to give it a whirl

I always knew I sucked at Doom...but I'm having pretty serious difficulty issues on Map01 at skill 2. I'm just not very good at this. =/

I'm trying to give it another chance. Playing a lot more carefully now, still on HNTR. Enjoying it more, but as of MAP05 there have been two cyberdemons, and both of them suck the potential fun out of their respective maps. I feel like I was too quick to make judgements, so I apologise for that.

Dear god those MAP01+05 cybers need to go though, at least on lower difficulties

edit: Also not a fan of the archviles on MAP04, but I generally don't like AVs anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

I just finished Speed of DOOM and was wondering what to play next.

Then suddenly, new Skillsaw.

Time to fire up DOOM again.

An important word to the oldschool crowd: Do the smart thing and use Eternity/Zdoom for the first playthrough. While it was fully tested in prboom-plus, the optional bonus bits are just too good to miss. Hold on with pr+ for the demo runs!

dew said:

An important word to the oldschool crowd: Do the smart thing and use Eternity/Zdoom for the first playthrough. While it was fully tested in prboom-plus, the optional bonus bits are just too good to miss. Hold on with pr+ for the demo runs!

GZDoom included?

Thanks a ton all! Glad you're mostly enjoying aaliens so far!

Ribbiks said:

very impressive that you're knocking out these monster projects so quickly. I wonder how long this one was under the radar? (a lot of the maps look like they were made in a similar design mindset as valiant, so perhaps they were made concurrently?)

Not exactly concurrently. I started working on this while Valiant was in it's public RC stages. Chances are I won't be starting a project quite so rapidly this time (am a bit fatigued but I have several projects I want to pursue eventually).

Mechadon said:

Yo, this looks fantastic! There's some great colors and themes going on in those screenshots. Also skillsaw, I'm convinced now that you are a map-making robot :P

Definitely going to check this out as soon as a can!

Coming from the original model that's high praise. Bleep bloop.

dew said:

For sure, there's some fun stuff in there. Seriously!

HavoX said:

I found an issue while playing on GZDoom; the ENDOOM screen doesn't show when I quit, the program just quits immediately.
And yes, I do have "Show ENDOOM Screen" enabled.

Bizarre, I was able to get it working in Eternity (which is what I used to test the lump when I was making it) and I've heard from somebody else that it worked fine in PRBoom+, but not ZDoom. I'm really hoping I didn't mess something up, but I've long since uninstalled the software I used to edit it, and have no idea what the route cause of the problem could be, so fixing it could be something of a pain.

EDIT: Figured it out and fixed it. If you want to quickly change it just overwrite it with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36523265/ENDOOM.dat
(The file was longer than it should have been for some reason)

Piper Maru said:

GZDoom included?

GZDoom or Zand are fine.

Also, anyone considering Eternity should make sure they update to a recent build - some ACS functions were recently added that aaliens uses.

Amazing work as always Skillsaw! And thanks for leading my incomplete map to fruition during my scholastic-work nightmare in the first week of May. You're the bext.

Katamori said:

A video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyLVV2GOdg

And a texture mistake in the middle, on MAP24:

http://i.imgur.com/ENvcx1h.jpg

Arg that sector. It keeps auto-joining with the surrounding sector mysteriously, and I've fixed it several times before. I had promised I would fix it again prior to sending it in for the last beta, but I promptly forgot D:

Out of curiosity, what exactly am I missing by sticking with prboom-plus? (I don't have any other sourceport installed, and I absolutely hate trying to configure compatibility options in ZDoom). The text file only tells me that I'm missing a few sound effects, which doesn't sound like much.

Anyways, played the first three maps. I didn't like map01 at all, but the other two were pretty cool. Although I'd consider getting rid of the Chainsaw in map02; I hate having to double-tap 1 to get to a Zerk fist.