Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Ancient Aliens - final version on idgames

Cynical said:

Out of curiosity, what exactly am I missing by sticking with prboom-plus? (I don't have any other sourceport installed, and I absolutely hate trying to configure compatibility options in ZDoom). The text file only tells me that I'm missing a few sound effects, which doesn't sound like much.

That's about it. There are sound effects for each tunnel you go through.

ReFracture said:

Latest I can find is dated April 27th, Eternity-r3.40.46-484-g0b32459
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/eternity/

Will that suffice?

Yes.

Cynical said:

Out of curiosity, what exactly am I missing by sticking with prboom-plus?

Mostly it's the ending sequence for the final map that's different. I don't want to spoil it specifically.

Even if you're a prboom diehard I'd recommend switching to another port just for MAP30.

dew said:

An important word to the oldschool crowd: Do the smart thing and use Eternity/Zdoom for the first playthrough. While it was fully tested in prboom-plus, the optional bonus bits are just too good to miss. Hold on with pr+ for the demo runs!

Thanks, would have probably never tried if you didn't mention it, heh.

Just another important note for the oldschool players: use "compatmode 6" in console before playing in (G)ZDoom for more Boom-like behaviour. Especially important if you don't want to make the punching too easy for yourself.

So far I'm quite enjoying the challenge and the gameplay forcing a bit of tysoning. But I have to say some traps feel quite assholish for such early maps :)

Playing on UV and the difficulty seems ok but from what I've heard maybe the lower difficulties (at least HNTR) might need some tweaking. In my opinion HNTR shouldn't really constitute a challenge for the less skilled/masochistic players but more like an opportunity for a bit more relaxed playthrough. But that's just me...

Just blasted through the first episode, excellent fun. Love the visuals, and the gameplay is right up my street so far, lots of stuff to kill and health enough to go full rambo.

Here is my FDA of the MAP 01 ---> MAP 09 (And Map 10 , but I didn't finish it)

Without counting Map 10 , I died only once. I'm tired and I'm too lazy to copy my full review in english (I'm french and I don't speak english very well). So here is my review posted in the french forum "Doomfrance" (The long text at the bottom). You just have to google translate it.

http://doomfrance.forumactif.com/t4227-boom-ancient-aliens-un-megawad-par-skillsaw-et-d-autres#132159

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wddxj5aya97nyun/FDA_Roofi_AncientAlien.lmp

This wad is amazing , for now I think it deserve his Cacoward. :3

ReFracture said:

Latest I can find is dated April 27th, Eternity-r3.40.46-484-g0b32459
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/eternity/

Will that suffice?

While it will work for a few earlier builds, any build after Feb 17th is optimal (that's the date that I tweaked ACS scripts to activate after screen wipes), though I believe that with the maps being the way they are now that shouldn't matter too much (it mattered in earlier builds of the wad).

Those colors are amazing. One thing I always loved about Doom was it's relatively colorful palette, but here we get to see some colors not normally seen (cyan, magenta, etc.)

I'll probably hold off on playing this to see if it gets the DWMC playthrough for June, but man, looking forward to it.

Cynical said:

I hate having to double-tap 1 to get to a Zerk fist.

And I always wondered if I was the only one...

played through the 1st map, and to the RK on map02 before i died.

looks, sounds, plays AMAZING. i cant wait for the inevitable DMWC playthrough im doing it now.

Hey, quick dumb question here. This uses regular monsters and weapons like Vanguard rather than the custom stuff in Valiant right? Just want to make sure if there are any gameplay changes that can conflict with cosmetic mods.

skillsaw said:

Yes.

Altazimuth said:

While it will work for a few earlier builds, any build after Feb 17th is optimal (that's the date that I tweaked ACS scripts to activate after screen wipes), though I believe that with the maps being the way they are now that shouldn't matter too much (it mattered in earlier builds of the wad).

Thanks guys. Eternity is my preferred engine so this works out great for me.

rileymartin said:

Hey, quick dumb question here. This uses regular monsters and weapons like Vanguard rather than the custom stuff in Valiant right? Just want to make sure if there are any gameplay changes that can conflict with cosmetic mods.

Yes, normal monsters and weapons are used. A cosmetic mod should be OK as long as it uses .png graphics and you load the wads in order so that the Ancient Aliens palette is used.

Yasss, congrats on the release Skillsaw! Echoing what Essel said, thanks for letting me participate on the project.

I'm super late to this party. Congrats on the release, and thanks for letting me contribute : >

I had heard vague rumblings of this one recently, but I had no idea it was this much of A Thing. Some of those screenshots are legitimately breathtaking, and suffice to say I look forward to experiencing what's on offer.

After playing a few more levels, a few couple comments:

1. I feel like I'm frequently under-gunned for how much mid-tier opposition there is. Grinding through endless Revs and Mancs with only a single-barrel or a chaingun is never fun. Doubly so given how stingy these levels are with rockets when the launcher is present. It's even more astounding in map 07, which doesn't even have the decency to provide a Zerk.

2. I really don't like the Cyberdemon usage I've seen so far. "Cyb in a big-ass open area where it provides no threat but stops the player from opening the automap to help with the intensive switch-hunts, and forces the player to occasionally pull it around" is really not a good idea.

dew said:

An important word to the oldschool crowd: Do the smart thing and use Eternity/Zdoom for the first playthrough. While it was fully tested in prboom-plus, the optional bonus bits are just too good to miss. Hold on with pr+ for the demo runs!

I knew I shouldn't have put on hold my configuration of ZDoom.

Someone said this is better to play this megawad on Zdoom. However , I play on Glboom+ to record my FDA. Ancient Aliens is amazing on all ports !

So , I continued my adventure. I began at the map 10 and stopped at the map 17 (I died ridiculously). In any case , this wad never stops to amaze me. Personnally , I find the second episode better than the first (Neons and UFO forever !). I missed the secret levels, I will play them separately.

Map 16 , is my favorite map for now and oh god I love these midis !

my more detailed review (In french , so google translate is your best friend) :

http://doomfrance.forumactif.com/t4227-boom-ancient-aliens-un-megawad-par-skillsaw-et-d-autres#132162

My First demo attempt :

http://adf.ly/246619/http://www.mediafire.com/download/upduu7ofp5h5ukl/FDA_Roofi_AncientAlien_Part2.lmp

Played up to map 07 and have to say I'm really impressed. Pistol Starting the maps is pretty brutal and feels like I'm playing Sunlust again with how tough some of the traps are and how fresh the visuals look. Same midi on map 04 too. SmoothDoom/Weapon animations don't seem to be compatible with the palette but that's no biggie. Really like the custom Manc and Arachno sprites. I've only seen them in Project Brutality before but they again help to keep the visuals fresh. One thing I noticed though is the spider's purple plasma doesn't cast dynamic lights. Great effect on the homing Revenant missiles though and makes them easier to tell apart. I have to ask though, what made you go back to using vanilla monsters after how great Valiant turned out with its more threatening and interesting bestiary?

you can definitely cheese an ambush on Map 21 in the semi-circle, a bunch of revenants come out of a door parallel to the switch you press and you can just rocket them in the knees without danger

Very original and creative setting akin to Valiant, I was impressed with the elevated difficulty tier by contrast as it feels like SOD/Sunlust in that respect what with the early Cybs and pinned down, ensnared setups :D However if what Erik said is true about they appear even on skill 1/2 that seems pretty harsh and should be toned down for those who aren't masochists.

Here are FDAS for 01-07

Also omg Joshy map hype <3