Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

No early Doom review copies for anyone

Hofmann said:

First, the fact that you are keeping tabs on posts from me that are months old in order to catch me in some contradiction is simply pathetic and borders on stalker behavior.

Secondly, all you've accomplished here is to demonstrate your own inability to read precisely and with nuance.

Yes, I said there is no such thing as a purely objective review. That does not mean that reviews should dispense with all objectivity completely.

In the case of the GI article, I was pointing out how sensationalized the description of the game was and that it sounded less like a reasoned opinion than it did an advertisement.

I said I thought a professional article should be "MORE objective or measured." That's a comparative statement and can only be understood in relation to what I was comparing it with.

There's no contradiction in my opinions here if you take the time to read what I'm saying and understand it. But instead, you're trying to score points or exact some revenge on me by taking things out of context. And all because I've criticized a game that you like and bruised your ego in doing so.

Sounds like your issue is that the review sounds like it's full of slogans rather than believable reactions coming from an actual person. It's like someone saying that something is "piping hot", you only hear about that in commercials. You're not asking for objectivity even if you think you are, you're just asking for reviews to not sound so biased and be more genuine which has nothing to do with objectivity or subjectivity, it has everything to do with journalistic integrity.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

First, the fact that you are keeping tabs on posts from me that are months old in order to catch me in some contradiction is simply pathetic and borders on stalker behavior.

Not keeping tabs just good memory. Are you impressed?

TheGamePhilosophe said:

I said I thought a professional article should be "MORE objective or measured." That's a comparative statement and can only be understood in relation to what I was comparing it with.

There's no such thing as more or less objective, it's either objective or it isn't.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

There's no contradiction in my opinions here if you take the time to read what I'm saying and understand it. But instead, you're trying to score points or exact some revenge on me by taking things out of context. And all because I've criticized a game that you like and bruised your ego in doing so.

Wow, so that's your interpretation of what I'm doing? Believe me, you haven't even touched me with your retarded criticism. I guess it's just the lack of logic in your reasoning and biased opinions that are engraved in my memory because of the shocking impression I'm getting from them.

DooM_RO said:

This didn't bother me so much until I read that it conflicts with TB's chemo schedule...FUCKING HELL...

I'm more bothered that TB's having to have chemo :-( that blokes a legend!!

Anyway what will be will be, A:CM had the same thing and everyone read how shit it was the night before there preorders came through the letterbox. Yer I was one of them... nevermind.

I reckon it will be fun, the MP beta wasn't that bad, ok not my cup of tea but im all about the sp anyway.

I must've been living under a damn rock, I didn't know TotalBiscuit had liver cancer.

Tritnew said:

I must've been living under a damn rock, I didn't know TotalBiscuit had liver cancer.

I truly hope that is not true.

I know that he was/is suffering under colorectal cancer, which is very bad already, but treatable.

Liver cancer however...no, please, don't let it be true. That would be an even harder cross to bear :(

My thoughts go out to him!!!

IGN just posted an article stating that they cannot review doom until after release. This is because the servers are not going to be up until then. That's official from Bethesda

Badmotorfinger111 said:

IGN just posted an article stating that they cannot review doom until after release. This is because the servers are not going to be up until then. That's official from Bethesda

Thanks for the clarification!

Badmotorfinger111 said:

Other people are playing already. I heard they were even on snapmap. Guess it's for the MP servers. Not that I really give a shit if they did get review copies ;)

Linguica said:

The "reason" given by Bethesda is such incredible BS.

Yeah, it is. Do they really expect that to be better for launch weekend sales? I was of the impression that the average gamer takes review scores into account.

Badmotorfinger111 said:

After all the extremely negative feedback from the beta I don't blame them. I like going in without anyone else's opinions also.

Bethesda: Quick, give us your money before you find out if you actually like the game or not.

MetroidJunkie said:

Bethesda: Quick, give us your money before you find out if you actually like the game or not.

If you don't put any stock into 3rd party reviews, this would be the case with about any game. On the other hand, you don't have to buy Doom on the 13th. You can wait for reviews after any embargoes have ended.

Job said:

If you don't put any stock into 3rd party reviews, this would be the case with about any game. On the other hand, you don't have to buy Doom on the 13th. You can wait for reviews after any embargoes have ended.

Or watch people playing through the game on youtube (or some other video/streaming website) to get some general idea about it. Though I don't think I have ever really put any thought into the opinion (review) of someone else when deciding to get a game (the most I will probably pay more attention to is any major technical issues it may have and that is about it).

That's another good option. It's not like Bethesda is putting a gun to our collective heads or only offering it for sale one day only. Hell, I remember when the only way to get an idea about whether you should buy a game was from monthly video game rags. These days, it's ridiculously easy to make a semi-deducated decision by visiting forums, going to youtube, etc, etc.

they are probably afraid of people judging the game without playing it. after all the beta drama i've heard marty say on live events at least 3 times 'my advice is to just try it and form your own opinion about it' he even suggested playing it at a friends house etc, and not just day 1 buying it but to play it before you let other people tell you how to feel about it

i see the review embargoes as an extension of that, i think they really want people to give it a chance before they write it off so hoping reviews dont come out till monday for most major publications is probably part of that strategy

is it right or wrong? i dunno, but it's ballsy.

Linguica said:

There is literally no reason why they could not activate the servers ahead of launch day.

And you know that... how exactly? You have some insider info or something?
I see no reason to doubt their words, and lack of SnapMap and multiplayer functionality is indeed a good reason to hold review copies back until launch day, as game would otherwise be incomplete and thus unfit for proper review.

Neutrino said:

And you know that... how exactly? You have some insider info or something?
I see no reason to doubt their words, and lack of SnapMap and multiplayer functionality is indeed a good reason to hold review copies back until launch day, as game would otherwise be incomplete and thus unfit for proper review.

You truly think they setup the servers on thursday?
If this "reason" hasn't written "cheap excuse" all over it, I don't know what has.

Linguica said:

The "reason" given by Bethesda is such incredible BS. There is literally no reason why they could not activate the servers ahead of launch day.

Indeed, and considering that as this fact is becoming more widely know in some gaming sites, it's generating a lot of negative word of mouth. This is a something that should be of concern about the game