Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Impressions from NeoGaf (possible minor spoilers)

Regarding bugs, anyone consider the fact that there's almost a 100 percent chance there is gonna be a day 1 patch? Lol

TheWizard said:

Regarding bugs, anyone consider the fact that there's almost a 100 percent chance there is gonna be a day 1 patch? Lol

Gotta fix that inverted startan somehow, right?

TheWizard said:

I wouldn't say that was a bad thing, if it was Bethesda developing the game then that patch would take a good long while to ever get released.

Otus said:

DonĀ“t want to teach you, just a little sidenote. In one of the official stream there was a mancubus getting ripped his arm out as a glory kill. And i think there was a third one with his back, but that was lame.

I like the idea about the glory kills and i cant wait to do some curb stomps and the one with the ripped of jaw.

Am i the only one that thinks that the whole discussions getting a ridiculous dimension? People seem to completley freak out about everything now.

Oh yeah, you are right. I saw the glory kill with the Cyber-Mancubus, where he basically forces his own arm towards it's face.

Regarding other quotes of what I tried to get across: I obviously somehow completely fail at english (I didn't know skeptisism == pessimism, in my language there is a huge difference between both), I'll just say: you are all right, and I am wrong.

Chickensoup101 said:

No one complained about Brutal Doom's ridiculous over the top Glory Kills, But Doom 4 does it.... " OH GOD IT SLOWS DOWN THE FLOW OF THE FIGHT!!! "

BD's glory kills were TRULY optional. No upgrades locked behind getting them. based on leaks you CANNOT fully upgrade yourself by only completing challenges.

Basically Bethesda and id fucked up this time around and snap map being gimped to fuck the way that it is only true pc mod support will fix it.

That all sounds pretty good to me. I am not sure if I want to use Glory Kills frequently or not, but although the game mechanics obviously sometimes encourage GKs, they don't force you to use them, so I am okay with that.

Chickensoup101 said:

" Once you've killed everyone, the enemies will stop spawning, so you will be completely safe and you won't encounter any more monsters in that area "

Wait... In the stream i saw, enemy keeps spawning after you leave the battlefield.

I had the impression that sometimes there are these "arena events" were the voice tells something about a lockdown because of demonic presence. Then a part of the level is locked and basicly turns into something like a deathmatch level were you fight waves of demons. After the last wave the lockdown is cancelled again and you can continue exploring and progressing forward. In between these arena events you obviously still encounter smaller amounts of enemies just like in a traditional SP level.

Buckshot said:

Soooo... it sounds exactly like classic DOOM mixed with Brutal DOOM, with a dab of dead space & mortal kombat, and a dash of doom 3 and doom 64.

And refreshed for 2016.

What's not to like here?

not enough aoe, like in classic doom, that's my problem with the new doom

Amph said:

not enough aoe, like in classic dome, that's my problem with the new doom

Age of Empires?

Tetzlaff said:

Age of Empires?

Area of effect?

Tetzlaff said:

Age of Empires?

lol no i mean area damage yes, multiple kill with a single shot, like blowing up 3 hell knight with the rpg, stuff like that

Chickensoup101 said:

No one complained about Brutal Doom's ridiculous over the top Glory Kills, But Doom 4 does it.... " OH GOD IT SLOWS DOWN THE FLOW OF THE FIGHT!!! "

The BFG and Gaus have very good AOE damage guys. Shotgun is not supposed to kill 20 imps in one single shot.

OK, I had another look at the single player streams and I was wrong about receiving upgrade points when completing objectives, but I figured it all out and I swear it's the truth.

The 5 upgrade points (UAC triangles) in the top right corner are the upgrade points that you receive through combat score and if you look carefully they have nothing to do with glory kills. The increase in score is based on the level of the enemy i.e. the bigger the enemy the more score you get. If you look carefully you will see that glory killing and regular killing of the same enemy gives you the same amount of score/experience.
The 5 upgrade points that are in the bottom right corner when you open the map are for challenges and exploration, 3 for challenges and 2 for exploration.

This means that you don't get upgrades faster if you glory kill and with the video I posted earlier that shows that you don't need glory kills to survive on higher difficulties, proves that glory kills are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. Case closed.

Everyone can feel good now.

Hofmann said:

OK, I had another look at the single player streams and I was wrong about receiving upgrade points when completing objectives, but I figured it all out and I swear it's the truth.

The 5 upgrade points (UAC triangles) in the top right corner are the upgrade points that you receive through combat score and if you look carefully they have nothing to do with glory kills. The increase in score is based on the level of the enemy i.e. the bigger the enemy the more score you get. If you look carefully you will see that glory killing and regular killing of the same enemy gives you the same amount of score/experience.
The 5 upgrade points that are in the bottom right corner when you open the map are for challenges and exploration, 3 for challenges and 2 for exploration.

This means that you don't get upgrades faster if you glory kill and with the video I posted earlier that shows that you don't need glory kills to survive on higher difficulties, proves that glory kills are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. Case closed.

Everyone can feel good now.

If that is the case, then that is fine then I guess. I'm probably not the only one that may use glory kills now and then but primarily will be killing things the old fashioned way (the glory kills can add some spice now and then but to much usage of them will just make them seem meh).

Glory Kills are as optional as leveling up is in a Souls game. You don't have to, and it provides a self-imposed challenge if you don't, but at the cost of missing out on bonuses and upgrades (and extra health and ammo in the case of Doom).

It's a core mechanic and central to the gameplay. Watch any stream and you see enemies getting stunned and flashing constantly (which is how they indicate they can be glory killed). You can turn off the flashing if it bothers you, but the enemies will still be swaying like their drunk all the time.

Personally, I don't like it. Others like it and that's fine. But no amount of denial or brain-washing is going to change the fact that Glory Kills are a big part of new Doom.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Glory Kills are as optional as leveling up is in a Souls game. You don't have to, and it provides a self-imposed challenge if you don't, but at the cost of missing out on bonuses and upgrades (and extra health and ammo in the case of Doom).

It's a core mechanic and central to the gameplay. Watch any stream and you see enemies getting stunned and flashing constantly (which is how they indicate they can be glory killed). You can turn off the flashing if it bothers you, but the enemies will still be swaying like their drunk all the time.

Personally, I don't like it. Others like it and that's fine. But no amount of denial or brain-washing is going to change the fact that Glory Kills are a big part of new Doom.

0/10 Troll

Hofmann said:

0/10 Troll

How was what what he said being a troll?

Though I have to disagree about the importance of it in Doom 4, it does have some amount of importance due to the pinata drop thing but I don't think it is that major of a part. Granted, I'm not going to be using it that much, no matter what degree of importance it has in the game (in the sp stream (I believe though I have forgotten which one it was at this point) a decent amount of ammo was gotten out of just a normal kill so I don't really see it being that big of an issue, while the extra health can just be had from the armor).

Hofmann said:

0/10 Troll

How so? I have no problem at all with the glory kills or even the staggering animation, and that still looked like a pretty fair and honest characterization to me.

LittleBurger said:

How was what what he said being a troll?

If not a troll then incredibly stupid, 3 posts above I showed that glory kills give no extra upgrades or bonuses whatsoever, not even extra health or ammo compared to regular kills and are therefore completely optional.

Some people don't like them and I understand that, but implying that the game is bad because it's forcing the player to perform them, which is not true at all, is just plain retarded. They argued since forever that it's a core mechanic and it's not optional, and now when they've been proved wrong they can't accept it. It's like some people would rather see this game fail than admit they were wrong all the time.

Chickensoup101 said:

" Once you've killed everyone, the enemies will stop spawning, so you will be completely safe and you won't encounter any more monsters in that area "

Wait... In the stream i saw, enemy keeps spawning after you leave the battlefield.

Enemies did not respawn (Unless nightmare) in classic Doom.

Hofmann said:

0/10 Troll

10/10 on the scale of being an idiot.

What TheGamePhilosophe wrote was actually spot on. Enemies do fall into staggered states continuously, with or without flashing depending on user setting, and not using that game mechanic will put you at a major disadvantage. That is a simple fact.

Wether you like that or not is up to personal preference. As he expressed perfectly well in the following sentence: "Personally, I don't like it."

If that is trolling to you, then you my friend are a full-blown retard.

Hofmann said:

...not even extra health or ammo compared to regular kills and are therefore completely optional.

Actually, yes, glory kills do give greater amounts of health and ammo as has been mentioned by the devs about a million times.

Here is just one source: http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-feels-like-bruce-lee-with-a-shotgun-on-a-skateboard-says-id/

Hofmann said:

0/10 Troll

This is actually the only thing he has posted that's actually well-thought-out instead of trying to troll people.

It's the same song and dance for every game that has a controversial central gimmick. Every time there's an element people don't like it's met by the same "you can turn it off in the settings or not use it" from PR people and repeated by others. Then the game comes out and everyone is shocked that the element you can supposedly ignore has to indeed be used unless you want to make things artificially harder for yourself.

For the new Doom they've shown over and over and over those glory kills and how they drop items or are part of challenges that give you unlocks. Whatever people post about turning off the glow or ignoring them won't change the fact that the way the game's designed puts them on equal ground with the shooting in terms of necessity.

It's by no means a bad idea since I get the risk/reward thing they're going for in addition to pandering to the 20 year old college male crowd, but after seeing the Doom marine shove down a Mancubus' heart down its throat for the millionth time, 6 hours into the game, I can see it getting extremely tiresome. I think a better solution would've been getting rid of the item drop system and blue glow and leaving the animations as an easter egg for if you happen to melee a monster when it's at extremely low health. But alas ~~opinions~~.

redrage said:

10/10 on the scale of being an idiot.

What TheGamePhilosophe wrote was actually spot on. Enemies do fall into staggered states continuously, with or without flashing depending on user setting, and not using that game mechanic will put you at a major disadvantage. That is a simple fact.

Wether you like that or not is up to personal preference. As he expressed perfectly well in the following sentence: "Personally, I don't like it."

If that is trolling to you, then you my friend are a full-blown retard.

He wasn't arguing only about the stagger state, idiot. Anyway, If the staggered state weren't in the game the enemy would have been killed earlier. How exactly is not having a staggered useless enemy a major disadvantage? At least think through your shit before you jump to defend someone because you feel sorry for them.

MrSkeltal said:

This is actually the only thing he has posted that's actually well-thought-out instead of trying to troll people.

It's the same song and dance for every game that has a controversial central gimmick. Every time there's an element people don't like it's met by the same "you can turn it off in the settings or not use it" from PR people and repeated by others. Then the game comes out and everyone is shocked that the element you can supposedly ignore has to indeed be used unless you want to make things artificially harder for yourself.

For the new Doom they've shown over and over and over those glory kills and how they drop items or are part of challenges that give you unlocks. Whatever people post about turning off the glow or ignoring them won't change the fact that the way the game's designed puts them on equal ground with the shooting in terms of necessity.

It's by no means a bad idea since I get the risk/reward thing they're going for in addition to pandering to the 20 year old college male crowd, but after seeing the Doom marine shove down a Mancubus' heart down its throat for the millionth time, 6 hours into the game, I can see it getting extremely tiresome. I think a better solution would've been getting rid of the item drop system and blue glow and leaving the animations as an easter egg for if you happen to melee a monster when it's at extremely low health. But alas ~~opinions~~.

I guess I'll just be stuck going partially artificial harder then (but with people saying how UV seems to be to easy I don't really see that as being a bad thing). Even with them giving more drops, there really isn't much with the glory kills that is going to make me want to not use them sparingly (aside for gory finisher now and then).

Though I sort of wish they had a varying options settings for it. Ranging from mostly classic play where you get ammo only former humans/in level pickups only (and having in level pickups balanced around that), a setting that is more level pickup oriented than pinata drops (but still has them drop now and then outside of former humans), all the way to what we have now.

The best setting (for me personally) would for it to focus more on in level ammo/health (with some smaller amounts of ammo or health from pinata drops). Basically a mix of classic and new with more focus on the classic while still having the new in there.

Hofmann said:

July 25, 2015. Oh my fucking god, the fucking idiots everywhere.

I think you are implying here that information is out of date and glorykills do not yield any extra health and ammo. Why would you otherwise bring this up right?

Official Gamespot SP stream with the devs from april 27, 2016

https://youtu.be/UsWaTIlNGlw?t=451

I have no idea why I am still treating you like someone with a brain. Just stop replying.. just stop... shhh.. its ok. I actually feel sorry for you now at this point.

All over you giving in to your knee jerk reaction to call someone with a different opinion then you a troll. D'aww, guess you just cant help yourself.

OK, one of the newest streams, which shows that the glory kills don't give more items nor do they give it more frequently.

Holy shit this thread is great! Love all the back and forth arguing! Lots to be learned and discussed here.

Seriously why are you guys carrying on with this argument.

LittleBurger said:

I wouldn't say that was a bad thing, if it was Bethesda developing the game then that patch would take a good long while to ever get released.

Oh not saying it's bad at all, just something to consider for anyone seriously concerned with little bugs.