Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Impressions from NeoGaf (possible minor spoilers)

Tritnew said:

This thread Is turning Into cancer, holy shit.

We're reaching critical mass, by May 13th this forum will look like the inside of Chernobyl's reactor.

No, it'll just die liker Doom 3's did. The game will be enjoyable for a play through and quickly forgotten. The new aged fans will leave and us oldies will still remain. Or until Ling goes off his gourd and flushes this place.

victorboris1 said:

We're reaching critical mass, by May 13th this forum will look like the inside of Chernobyl's reactor.

I don't really think it will get that bad, if it hasn't blown up due to the SP stream or the other leaks that popped up, then I doubt a little on it actually reaching critical mass.

Technician said:

No, it'll just die liker Doom 3's did. The game will be enjoyable for a play through and quickly forgotten. The new aged fans will leave and us oldies will still remain. Or until Ling goes off his gourd and flushes this place.

*Sigh*

Well hopefully the new Doom will have longer life than we think it will. I really hope so. I remember when I first played Doom in 94-95 and knew I'd be enjoying the hell out of it for many years to come. Immediately started a second play through when I beat the game because I was completely in love with it. Especially when I found those crazy .wad disks at a buddy's house shortly after. I hope to get that feeling again, though I highly doubt it, I do think this is gonna be an awesome game and will be quite replayable. Even more so than doom 3 ended up being for me anyway. I do think it'll be like Doom 3 as far as the community goes and fade out rather quickly, unfortunately. Though I'm still patiently waiting for Doom: Phobos to come out ;)

I haven't read much of the posts, which may be a good thing.

Fortunately the game seems right up mu alley. Although I'm concerned about becoming too much of a completion freak and spending way too long in empty rooms looking for all the secrets but hey, that's the same issue I have with the original Dooms.

I enjoy the play style of Brutal Doom, in which I see similarities. I also love Glory kills like in Mortal Kombat. Being rewarded for what I love? Give me little challenges and rewards to keep me hooked? I'm in.

i dont think anyone can accurately predict the outcome of the games success this early on with so little information and basically zero hands on.

pre orders (as much as they contribute in some problematic ways to the industry) for the game have respectable numbers right now on all systems, slightly overperforming in xbox compared to other xbox games sales and doing about average or slightly underperforming in ps4 sales - probably in part to uncharted 4 and its exclusivity to ps4 in the same week.

steam shows doom as a top seller in #1-#3 slots all week in many regions (top sellers on steam are region based, so maybe not true for all areas/users)

game has a decent amount of hype behind it and the last few weeks have been very positive for the game, especially the nvidia conference footage which in my opinion was nothing special, but the elitests creamed their pants over mouse/kb footage and it has improved people's (shallow) opinions among the most difficult to please and whiney consumers.

the game has plenty going for it to do well, and snapmap promises to keep the game relevant for some time, so lets see what reviews are like before calling doomsday.

Moon Marin said:

i dont think anyone can accurately predict the outcome of the games success this early on with so little information and basically zero hands on.

pre orders (as much as they contribute in some problematic ways to the industry) for the game have respectable numbers right now on all systems, slightly overperforming in xbox compared to other xbox games sales and doing about average or slightly underperforming in ps4 sales - probably in part to uncharted 4 and its exclusivity to ps4 in the same week.

steam shows doom as a top seller in #1-#3 slots all week in many regions (top sellers on steam are region based, so maybe not true for all areas/users)

game has a decent amount of hype behind it and the last few weeks have been very positive for the game, especially the nvidia conference footage which in my opinion was nothing special, but the elitests creamed their pants over mouse/kb footage and it has improved people's (shallow) opinions among the most difficult to please and whiney consumers.

the game has plenty going for it to do well, and snapmap promises to keep the game relevant for some time, so lets see what reviews are like before calling doomsday.

I sort of wonder if they will give a teaser look at a roadmap on what they want to do free update wise to SnapMap.

MrDeAD1313 said:

*Sigh*

Well hopefully the new Doom will have longer life than we think it will.

It won't and it won't have anything to do with the game's quality be it good or bad. Most games in general tend to be forgotten within a month or two except for popular multiplayer ones. Even more so nowadays when every company has a social media page and people are continually inundated with new things to be interested on.
The classic Doom titles have lasted this long because of how easy it is for people to create content for them. With Doom 2016 id is trying to do the same thing with Snapmap, but the fact that rooms are prefabs already limits creativity and I don't see it lasting long. Even if they released a full-fledged editor it wouldn't be a guaranteed hit considering how complex it is to create content in modern video games - Doom 3 already proved this when you look at how most mod projects around that time fell apart.

I think the new Doom sounds pretty cool.

Though I always viewed it as being Classic Doom reimagined with a Doom 64 meets Doom 3 meets Dead Space meets Mortal Kombat kinda feel. :P

redrage said:

Wether you like that or not is up to personal preference. As he expressed perfectly well in the following sentence: "Personally, I don't like it."

Wether you like Glory Kills or not doesn't change the fact it's a good and well implemented mechanic.

At this point arguing that it boils down to personal preference just proves that. Nobody can find a intrinsic flaw on it.

LittleBurger said:

I don't really think it will get that bad, if it hasn't blown up due to the SP stream or the other leaks that popped up, then I doubt a little on it actually reaching critical mass.

Are we going to get a *No Spoilers* and a *Spoilers Allowed* section? I really doubth that this forum will be abandoned for the first couple of days after release. People would want to ask SP tips, SnapMap shares and MP team ups.