Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Updates...

Ok, you can check out the current status of ZDoomGL development here:

http://members.shaw.ca/timstump/zdoomgl/zdoomgl.txt

It's just a log file of changes I make, but you can follow what I'm doing, anyway.

Anyway, texture compression works now, although it looks kind of gross. There's a few compression artifacts :) For the most part it looks ok, but some textures look a little funny. The automap is also working now, along with sector texture rotation and flat scrolling.

DooMBoy said:

Sounds good to me, now when will it be released? :)

Hopefully pretty soon. You seem pretty interested in it, so how about if you do some testing for me? Just provide me with an email address and I'll send you a link (after I get home because I'm at work right now)!

timmie said:

Hopefully pretty soon. You seem pretty interested in it, so how about if you do some testing for me? Just provide me with an email address and I'll send you a link (after I get home because I'm at work right now)!

Sure thing, tim old boy! :)
tallj20@hotmail.com

Bug List for Latest ZDooMGL:
1. Weapon Sprites offsets-they're in the dead center of the screen, like they should be, however, there's a big gap between the bottom of the screen and the weapon sprite itself.
2. The sky, is as timmie said in e-mail to me, asstacular. Indeed.
3. The main Doom/Doom 2 screen is shoved down into the right hand corner of the screen, so that the screen tiles on itself.
4. Clipping-I was able to walk halfway through doors and windows.
5. Intermission screens-instead of the Ultimate Doom/Doom2 intermission screens, the main Doom/2 screen pops up and flickers.
I only played it for like three levels, and these are the five biggest bugs I saw. Of course, this IS a beta, so this figures, eh, timmie? :)

BTW, I have a PIII 450 and a 3dfx Interactive Voodoo3 AGP, and it runs just fine-no real slowdown or anything like that. Good job, so far, timmie, keep it up big guy! :)

DooMBoy said:

Bug List for Latest ZDooMGL:
1. Weapon Sprites offsets-they're in the dead center of the screen, like they should be, however, there's a big gap between the bottom of the screen and the weapon sprite itself.
2. The sky, is as timmie said in e-mail to me, asstacular. Indeed.
3. The main Doom/Doom 2 screen is shoved down into the right hand corner of the screen, so that the screen tiles on itself.
5. Intermission screens-instead of the Ultimate Doom/Doom2 intermission screens, the main Doom/2 screen pops up and flickers.
I only played it for like three levels, and these are the five biggest bugs I saw. Of course, this IS a beta, so this figures, eh, timmie? :)

BTW, I have a PIII 450 and a 3dfx Interactive Voodoo3 AGP, and it runs just fine-no real slowdown or anything like that. Good job, so far, timmie, keep it up big guy! :)

Hmm, some of those might be due to the Voodoo3. I have to test it more at work (I have a Voodoo3 there). On my Geforce2 there's no problems with the main Doom/2 screen. I'm still working on the weapons, so there's lots of issues with them right now (I just leave them disabled: gl_weapon 0). Not sure about the clipping problems, though. The intermission screens are disabled right now until I can figure out how to draw them properly (ZDoom draws them to an offscreen buffer and then does a copy to the screen, but OpenGL really doesn't like it when you do that).

DooMBoy said:

Oh, was it just the status bar getting clipped?

DooMBoy said:

It might of have been. It was rather disconcerting.

Ok, I noticed that last night, so it should be fixed for the next release. I forgot to disable depth testing when drawing the status bar.

Overall, how does it look? What do you think of the depth fog? I think it looks way better than the old ZDoomGL and jDoom (so far as the basic rendering goes)...

I have to fix the multitexturing on 3Dfx cards, too. It's not reporting that it's enabling it when it should be (not that I use it for anything yet, but I will when I get around to environment mapping).

Can you fix the screwed main DOOM/2 menu thingy?
About the fog, it's perfect. But where was the dynamic lighting? I couldn't get that to work, but then again maybe it wasn't in the beta?

DooMBoy said:

Can you fix the screwed main DOOM/2 menu thingy?
About the fog, it's perfect. But where was the dynamic lighting? I couldn't get that to work, but then again maybe it wasn't in the beta?

There is no dynamic lighting yet :)

How exactly do you get OpenGL to work anyway when you're doing all this programming? And how do you get all those console variables and dynamic lighting and yada yada yada in there? :)

DooMBoy said:

How exactly do you get OpenGL to work anyway when you're doing all this programming? And how do you get all those console variables and dynamic lighting and yada yada yada in there? :)

Well, the console variables are simple. In the code I just go like this:

CVAR (Bool, gl_wireframe, false, CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)

and that would add the "gl_wireframe" cvar. Then I just have to do stuff with the value, in this case I check at the beginning of each frame whether or not to draw things in wireframe mode.

The dynamic lighting is going to be more complicated. I have to dissect how Kokak did it :)

The OpenGL part is just a bunch of function calls, it's no different than any other part of the program.

I'd like to test.

alex@aoi.dyndns.org

BTW, perhaps you should consider putting the code up on publicly accessible CVS or something.

I was going to suggest putting it on SourceForge.net, but ZDoom's licensing would probably not go over too well with them. ZDoom is licensed under the terms of several different licenses, most (if not all) of which are in violation of the Open Source Definition, with which all SF projects' licenses are required to comply.

_argv[-1] said:
I'd like to test.

alex@aoi.dyndns.org

BTW, perhaps you should consider putting the code up on publicly accessible CVS or something.

I was going to suggest putting it on SourceForge.net, but ZDoom's licensing would probably not go over too well with them. ZDoom is licensed under the terms of several different licenses, most (if not all) of which are in violation of the Open Source Definition, with which all SF projects' licenses are required to comply.

I'll definitely be posting the code after I get things to where I want it to be, so everybody can take a crack at fixing bugs and whatnot, but it'll probably be a little while before that happens.

boris said:

BTW, will there be a Linux version of ZDoomGL?

If someone wants to work on it, sure! I have some Win32 specific code in there right now for generating the glbsp node information, but other than that it should be somewhat straightforward to do.

I'd do it, but I don't have Linux or any experience programming in Linux :)

k. i just went ahead and played ZDoomGL. I seriously can't wait for timmie's release. Those few screenshots that were released look a million times better than what I was just playing. I'm a huge fan of ZDoom and hopefully I'll be happy with timmie's release. btw, the models for ZDoom do look like crap. The JDoom ones do too. There are only a couple that I think actually look good (the demon looks great, for example). We should have some people working on new models. The one's from that Quake3 mod would be awesome (the revamped imp and arachnatron).

I have no real problem with the current md2s for zdoomgl, so if you don't like them, use sprites instead!

As for making new ones, there isn't really anyone in the Doom community wants to or can do 3d models. And the ones for that Quake3 mod are no good, because a) they are md3s, and b) the mod was shut down by id software due to legal issues.

why would id shut it down? i don't get that. i thought that it was ok if you made the stuff from scratch? why is it ok to make models for DoomGL and such then? someone needs to make some revamped md2's that look sweet ass. Edmundo did some kewl ones for ZanZan, I think he could revamp the ones he did to make them look kewler and more updated. peace.

The ZDoomGL models are intended to be used with Doom. The Q3 ones are intended to work with, well, Q3. And since they are making their own new Doom game now, they probably don't want to have anything Doom related on any other (relatively) high-end engine.

digit@l_pimp said:

btw, the models for ZDoom do look like crap. The JDoom ones do too.

I like them all. Maybe it's just me...

The models in the Q3 Doom mod (Reborn) weren't illegal themselves, it's the mod as a whole that ID had issues with. Most of the models have since been released individually, and I believe they're also going to be used in future versions of Generations Arena.

So if ZDoomGL ever switches to using MD3, the models from Reborn could be used, as long as you obtained permission from the original modeller and skinners.

In case you need links:

Revenant, Mancubus, Imp, Arachnotron, Demon, Heavy Weapon Dude

Newer version of the Arachnotron

Newer version of the Imp

Newer version of the Revenant

Timmie: I wouldn't mind testing. It would be no burden on me whatsoever. :P

I'm Faint on the ZDoom phorums, by the way, so I MUST HAVE SOME SPECIAL INSIGHT and BE FAVORED because I am ELITE. :P