Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chest Rockwell

Has your music tastes changed since you were a teenager?

When I was about 14 my music tastes looked something like Metallica, Black Sabbath Iron maiden and slayer but now its more like kanye west, radiohead, gorillaz, death grips and kendrick lamar. Basically from being 14 to 20 I went from being a pure metal head to being a hipster /mu/ piece of trash.

Has anything like this happened to you guys?

i can totally relate to that, when i was a teen i would give a lot of importance to genre for some reason, sticking mostly to metal, but now a days i dont care about what kind of music i hear as long as i can enjoy it

now a days i dont care about what kind of music i hear as long as i can enjoy it

This.

For some reason I was always fussing about whether what I was listening was compatible with my aesthetics/identity or not, or something stupid like that. Now I can listen to experimental Blackened Death Metal just as much as the latest japanese idol songs and I don't give a damn as long as I like the sound of it.

Not drastically. Just replace Korn with Devin Townsend. I've learned to appreciate a lot of different genres, though metal is something I'll always keep coming back to.

I do notice that I couldn't care less about new bands these days. They say you start to lose interest in new music when you hit your mid-30s, and they're not kidding.

I used to listen to mostly hardcore, punk, hardcore punk and ska as well as a bit of metalcore. Eventually I ditched the -core stuff and now I mostly listen to extreme metal. None of the elitist grimdark trve-kvlt usnsdsbm shit though. Mostly symphonic/folk stuff and generally the epic, uplifting kind of music. Also a big fan of pure orchestral music like Two Steps from Hell.

raymoohawk said:

i can totally relate to that, when i was a teen i would give a lot of importance to genre for some reason, sticking mostly to metal, but now a days i dont care about what kind of music i hear as long as i can enjoy it

I don't listen to much metal music anymore cause it reminds me of being 14 and cringey as hell and I want to forget that as much as possible. I'll still listen to sabbath every now and again but the closest thing to metal I actively listen to now is death grips.

I wouldn't say they changed so much as they've expanded. As a teenager, I pretty much listened to just trance, J-Pop, and video game music, and not much else. It wasn't that I didn't like anything else, I just didn't bother listening to other genres very often.

I still listen to these, but I'm also more into Industrial, Dark Ambient, Downtempo, Darkwave, and Gothic Rock.

Just about the only music I've stopped listening to regularly is classical/orchestral.

Yeah, mostly just expanded. The only thing I won't go back to is Russian pop music, which is a little embarassing to admit that I listened. :p But back then I only had a pocket radio and it was my only source of music so I didn't really know better.

Heavy Metal was my primary music, Nu Metal in particular. Now it has faded considerably minus a couple exceptions. Fear Factory Obsolete album or their Body Hammer song is always something I enjoy. Now I'm more into electronic which started heavy Dubstep now more Infected Mushroom (psychadalic techno or something?). I always love mixing classical with a range of genres too.

Before i was about 15 i listened to music quite rarely and when i did, it was some completely random music, usually from video games, because i played a lot of video games, and when it wasn't music from video games, it was just some simple rock; i wasn't really into music those times. Now i listen to music quite often, but still most of the time it's usually some random music i find on the internet/in video games; nothing really changed. However, i do now have certain favourite genres (post-rock and (dark)ambient and maybe some others).

kuchitsu said:

The only thing I won't go back to is Russian pop music, which is a little embarassing to admit that I listened. :p But back then I only had a pocket radio and it was my only source of music so I didn't really know better.

Russian pop music, imo, is ridiculously bad, it's cringy as shit, especially that Verka Serdyuchka, omfg. That's why i don't listen to radio, it's full of this garbage.

Like a few others here, it has mostly just expanded, I still enjoy the majority of my "teen favorites" but I also am open to far more variety than I was back then.

Chezza said:

Now I'm more into electronic which started heavy Dubstep now more Infected Mushroom (psychadalic techno or something?).

Oh man, Infected Mushroom! They've been around a long time. I haven't heard much of their newer stuff, but their older, more Goa Trance-oriented stuff was amazing. Seeing them live was also amazing.

Yes, it has. I was 11-12 years old when I discovered metal, and in the following half a decade, I listened to almost nothing else, although I did have a guilty pleasure in a local pop artist. In recent years, I've stopped listening to said pop artist, but that aside, my taste in music has expanded, most notably with prog bands like Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. I also listen to a few different electronic genres now.

Yeah, call it change if you want to, but it's really less of a radical change and more of an expansion in my case.

My music tastes have generally changed like this through the last 10 years:

Pop -> Classical -> Metal -> Rock -> Indie/Experimental

Although I can listen to most genres of music and still enjoy it. Depends on my mood, really. Only genres I really don't enjoy are rap, dubstep and modern classical.

My musical tastes expanded (like others mentioned already) over the years. Now I listen to most everything except rap, hip hop and gospel.

ChekaAgent said:

Russian pop music, imo, is ridiculously bad, it's cringy as shit, especially that Verka Serdyuchka, omfg.

Yeaaaah... And believe it or not, back then I was actually looking forward to them playing her songs... Oh god.

I go through my old music library and sometimes wonder to myself why I stopped listening to these grind/punk bands. They're so good! But I started listening to them when my life was boring and these bands were so adrenaline pumping and full of life. Nowadays I have lots of things to do each day so I prefer to listen to music that mellows me out instead.

rileymartin said:

I used to listen to mostly hardcore, punk, hardcore punk and ska as well as a bit of metalcore. Eventually I ditched the -core stuff and now I mostly listen to extreme metal.

So, still a teenager then.

As I get older I crave heavier and darker forms of music. I've hit the limit now I'd say where the heaviest stuff sounds normal and satisfying to me, and anything less makes me puke in my mouth. When I was younger it was mostly hard rock now it almost entirely extreme metal.

Sounds like the opposite of some people. I don't understand why punk and extreme metal is associated with being a teenager. That stuff was too extreme for me when I was a teen. Seems more aimed at adults, which clicks with me now.

I used to listen to stuff like Pantera, Black Label Society or Slayer, no particular reason, people that care too much about what they listen to going according to their made up "style" have always seemed cringy to me.

Nowadays i'm mostly listening to Power Metal, Hard/Melodic Rock/AOR or some Death Metal.

About four-five years ago I listened pretty much exclusively to rock/a bit of metal. Nowadays I listen mostly to synthwave, preferably darksynth, though I'll occasionally play some progressive metal.

When I was a teenager, all of my friends were into Nirvana and hippie shit while I listened to Genesis and prog rock and all sorts of left-field weirdness. Twenty years later, nothing's changed.

Probably if not Last.fm site, my musical taste could be adequate and similar to yours guys. But no. On that site i found the most weirdest genres and artists which are quite rare and completely changed me.

First of all it's Noise music by Merzbow. When i found him and looked at amount of listeners - i was shocked. 60000 listeners were in 2012 year. Now 2016 and there are over 100000 listeners. I still ask, why these people listening to this? I don't know. I still want to know why i can listening to this and feel pleasure like a nostalgia in musical sadism. Probably because of Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack for Silent Hill. I still listening his music for Silent Hill 3 and it's still are my favorite.

Another weird genre is Lolicore. Just a joke but damn... What a insane music. Quite hard to find something really listenable, but when you find it - it so sweet.
With Lolicore I found Breakcore, Deathstep and so on.

I don't know what kind of person i could be but i know that such music blew my mind and increased power of my imagination. Heh.
I still looking for some really weird music and genres because Rock, PoP, RNB, Club or House doesn't excite me anymore.
Breakcore with Deathstep or Chillstep with IDM... MMm.. Or Mashcore. So much hidden genres.

I would always listen to stuff my parents listened to when I was younger, particularly since I really didn't have a choice whenever they had a radio playing. When I started checking out a few rock songs, I decided that's going to be a genre I liked. I listened to a lot of rock in my middle school years, in all subgenres of it. I eventually settled a bit on grunge in my high school years, and was especially a fan of Soundgarden (I still am). Eventually, I branched a bit further from the 90s to early 00s nu metal (like Staind and Korn) at the end of my senior high school years. Nowadays, I still listen to these genres, but branching out to the more obscure bands in both, as well as checking out some metalcore along the way.

Heh.

Until I was fourteen, I was a wigger. I loved 50 Cent and TI.

Then I discovered metal after I heard about Dimebag dying and realized I liked it much more...so much more that I actually stopped liking rap completely.

Then until I was twenty I was only into thrash metal...then I discovered death metal, doom metal, and black metal.

I like metal.

Used to only listen to radio hard-rock and now it's mainly Aphex Twin, Autechre, Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, and Death Grips

I have never changed taste(s) in music 100%, some of my favourite bands from my early teens remain favourites today, such as Ministry, Frank Zappa and Sepultura. I'll give anything a chance, but rock/metal/electronica still dominates my collection. The only genres I've given up are death metal and "pure" black metal. Boooooring!! Still got some love for black metal artists who don't limit themselves to fit the genre, though.

KalebNoobMaster said:

Used to only listen to radio hard-rock and now it's mainly Aphex Twin, Autechre, Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, and Death Grips

Autechre <3... Oh my goddess. My favorite IDM band. Since 2011 listening to them.
But first impression was quite negative as first album which i got was Confield. Only 'Parhelic Triangle' is quite listenable, others tracks are quite insane.

Not that much. I listened to more punk when I was a teenager. Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Vandals, Victim's Family, The Misfits, TSOL, IOWASKA. Sometimes Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, KMFDM and Korn. Which I still listen to occasionally.

Now for the most part I just listen to Tom Waits and Slayer. Both are bands/artists that just nail everything down perfectly. Tom Waits can do everything from ballads to metal to rock to beat-boxing to creepy ass. And Slayer is the epitome of good metal. Why order turkey when you can have beef?

Although for the last couple of years I have been listening to more Motörhead. Good band.

I'm still a teenager, but my tastes have changed over my teen years.

Junior high: Skrillex and chiptunes (oh dear god please kill me)
Early high school: a little dubstep (mainly just Dabin, who isn't as obnoxious as most dubstep artists) and indie pop like marina and the diamonds, chain gang of 1979
Now: Perturbator, GosT, Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Queen, Metallica and other classic metal bands