Find results in...
DOOMGUY_GODMODE

Why does everyone hate DOOM?

people hate it because:

- you can look up and down
- no auto aim
- you can jump
- no 2D sprites

The easter-egg is half-assed crap and I kind of wish SnapMap had more in terms of customizing environments but, overall, I'm excited for the new Doom and the only thing stopping me from wanting to get it is that I have to be able to get stronger hardware since the Beta crashed on me and I fall way short of the minimum required specs.

Deatheye said:

people hate it because:

- you can look up and down
- no auto aim
- you can jump
- no 2D sprites

So then why didn't anyone hate Quake? It had all those things.

OP: There's been a hype train that's been building for 8 years, stubborn fans get too dogmatic about how the game is "supposed" to be, and then you have naive or elitist modern shooter fans that aren't impressed by what to them seems like a cartoony throwback title. The rest of us are eagerly anticipating the game.

Only a vocal minority hates Doom, most of all because hating on any highly anticipated new AAA release is always a sure way to look cool and experienced these days.

I played that new DOOM quite a bit as well, and yeah, it's not a bad game. I can say, with clarity, that I will plow through it a couple times and then stop playing it for a longer period of time, if not forever.

When you look at how much limit removing ports have done for the classic DOOM, along with how creative mappers have been, it is a safe bet that there will be things to be found in "modern classic DOOM", which will not be as "easily" executed in that new DOOM. While many argue, that the new engine is "not up to snuff", you can expect that it will be nigh impossible to have like +100 enemies on scope at once, without demanding too much out of "every-day-computers".

Many of the massive encounters, which had a noticeable effect on mappers and players alike, are just not going to happen due to hardware limitations. Imagine the legendary casali slaughtermap "go 2 it", or "sunder" with those new graphics, and even more detailing of course. It would look amazing, but I doubt it will be doable. Yet maps like those are what a lot of players want and "need". I can understand that these players are skeptical, and it's part of the reason why I will give DOOM "a bash or two", but then go back to where I feel at home. Is it personal preference? It sure is. Is it preference for a reason? I think so. I mean, as of now, I stopped playing that new DOOM, because Skillsaw released his new mega-wad, which is saying something, I suppose. At the end of the day the skepticism towards that new DOOM is a testament to the quality of the gameplay the classic offers to this very day.

BluePineapple72 said:

I find it funny how many people missed the joke. It isn't that everyone who dislikes Doom 4 is part of that group, it's that the website believes that group to be everyone.

Jaxxoon R said:

I find it funny how many people missed the joke. It isn't that everyone who dislikes Doom 4 is part of that group, it's that the website believes that group to be everyone.

Then there's the truly meta joke of this artist, having made a whole career out of everyone-but-me-is-retarded comics appealing to the lowest common denominator...

HellVain said:

Lol, they're making themselves madder by over analyzing an over exagerated joke. Well, to be honest the art is a bit accurate.

I did something similar after the open beta, and pretty much the same thing happened. I just wanted to satirize the low-effort Steam reviews (ones along the lines of "0/10 Call of Halo fuck you id"). The defensive fanboys thought I was handing them ammunition, and the folks who felt jilted thought I was giving them the finger.

Enforcer said:

Soooo many camplainers and so much drama in this forum.

But you're complaining about the complainers. Also, I've seen a lot of
"I don't like X, I hope it's fixed" "I hate the footage of Y, wish it was like this"
etc.. who cares if someone says that? That's what they'd like to see change. That's the point of fourms. It would be boring if we all said, "Doom is perfect! Have a good day!" there'd be no point.

Champskiez103 said:

But you're complaining about the complainers. Also, I've seen a lot of
"I don't like X, I hope it's fixed" "I hate the footage of Y, wish it was like this"
etc.. who cares if someone says that? That's what they'd like to see change. That's the point of fourms. It would be boring if we all said, "Doom is perfect! Have a good day!" there'd be no point.

Doncha know on the interbutttz logic is evil!

id.dav said:

Yes mate! I will now reveal you a HORRIBLE truth - EVERYBODY HATES this game, exept you! Even demons do not like new doom, so I can already predict Doom sales - 1 copy and that's gonna be yours!

i can tell your the hater

You know... as much as it disappoints me that the game is getting some hate, sometimes i feel that some folks really forced themselves to love the game just because it has the "doom" title

MetroidJunkie said:

So then why didn't anyone hate Quake? It had all those things.

were you around when Quake was released?

That game got shit poured on top nonstop by Doom fans back then.

Almonds said:

were you around when Quake was released?

That game got shit poured on top nonstop by Doom fans back then.

Wish I could see evidence of this.

Yes, I remember this as well, there was a big rivalry between Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. I think many Doom fans feared that id Software abandoned Doom when they released Quake.

Well I think the sales say otherwise, just got off the phone from customer support here in the UK for GAME and the games almost sold out according to the rep, they are very happy with sales.

Bare in mind they had the exclusive on collectors editions and merchandise.

DOOMGUY_GODMODE said:

i can tell your the hater

Cry baby CRY! I'm gonna hunt you down with my Doom hate for the rest of your life! You will even meet me in Doom! I'm the hardest boss to win!)

id.dav said:

Cry baby CRY! I'm gonna hunt you down with my Doom hate for the rest of your life! You will even meet me in Doom! I'm the hardest boss to win!)

John Romero, is that you?

id.dav said:

You forgot to tell him you´re going to make him your bitch XD

I don't HATE new doom. Just not sure I like where it's going. Multiplayer beta left a bad taste, though I hope SP will be nice.

The main gripe with new Doom for me is SnapMap. Yes, it's easy, but so is making a map in Doom builder or Slade from pre-made sectors that you just copy around.. So unless you will be able to define your own "rooms" or have advanced mode where you're doing geometry by hand, I don't think it'll be worth my time as it would be less powerful than modding for even the original, vanilla Doom. Not to mention that in original Doom and source ports of it you can load up custom resources to completely change look and mood of the game (hell, even the gameplay itself with things like ACS and triggers from all major doom engine games) which doesn't seem to be the case for SnapMap.

"Everyone" inevitably always comes down to: Teenagers with anger management issues. They seem unable to articulate anything other than extremes. They see one or two details they don't like and assume the whole thing is garbage. You get it with everything. Just look at the responses to Marvel and DC movies. God help them when they grow up, if they ever do.

darkhog said:

I don't HATE new doom. Just not sure I like where it's going.

I've gone from being a little disappointed to cautiously optimistic. The fact that Doom guy is portrayed almost like a human-demon who's been kept to be used as a weapon against Hell makes perfect sense as a twist on the original premise, and fits the simple gameplay mechanics and OTT action of Doom really well.

id.dav said:

hater is here