Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ironhound

First Mission got leaked...

So anyway, you guys see the first mission and the prelude that got leaked? Are we allowed to discuss it? I'll keep this spoiler free, but I noticed a few things.

I'm enjoying what I see. Arena areas, AND corridor, open ended type areas in between with lots of enemies. I was actually astounded the player survived, as he was utterly awful, most of the 30 minutes he spent using his pistol and glory killing his way to survival...

...strangely enough it worked. I was baffled. Sure it was on Hurt Me Plenty, but still... anyway, Ultra-Violence for us Doomers confirmed. :P

The story and codex entries I saw had me.. uh... well I'm pumped, but I'm a little disappointed where they are going with it.

The level design was fantastic. I saw all kinds of nooks and crannies, and it looked like a lot of the paths looped back around on themselves making for big open areas, unlike say.. Painkiller or Serious Sam. It feels like classic doom level design to me, or at least in comparison to the first person shooters on the market right now.

The demons where actually alot more mobile then I was expecting, and it really made them unpredictable, especially with such a crap player. They consistantly got up in his face, and fucked him up a bit.

The unlimited grenades felt weird to me, but I think grenades in games have always felt weird to me. I did notice that despite the ammo and health upgrades glowing, the player found little grenade boxes that were not glowing, that actually reset that little timer.

Also. I fucking love that Doomguy gives no shits about people giving him orders. Smashing annoying talky-screen? FUCKYES. RIP AND TEAR.

I have zero doubts about how much fun singleplayer will be. That being said, its pretty damn clear that the campaign was not made in snap map. :P I HIGHLY doubt the community can put out maps like that with what we've seen of the pre-fabs. I dunno, I was hoping for some epic snap map campaigns being put out, but I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway, if you are curious, and brave, its on Doomleaks, and its a torrent. I tested it and went in without a condom so you don't have to.

TL;DFR: DOOM is going to be goddamn fucking fantastic and a half.

HavoX said:

I didn't even read beyond the first word of that post.

Should I delete it? I was fuckin excited ok?

Welp, about time to go offline until after launch.

Luckily, this OP did a spoiler free write up (thanks OP for being respectful)

Sadly, the rest of social media and forums... not so much.

So I'll see everyone back here in, I dunno, Friday night/Saturday morning. Will be picking up a boxed CE Thursday night from gamestop midnight release (and await a later CE from amazon to arrive to leave sealed)

I remember all the excitement as the gaming world held its breath in 93 & 94 for DOOM and DOOM 2. Installing once the mail order arrived that my dad bought for me, and literally having DOOM become my life from then on out.

And I remember everyone going apeshit for DOOM 3 back in 2004. Walking into games top on launch morning to pickup my copy, rushing home to play.

And, oh how things have changed. But still won't stop me from getting that midnight release copy, running home, and installing it... staying up all night until I passout and then waking up right away to get back to it. A new DOOM title may not have the impact to the gaming world it once did... but it'll be a launch that I won't forget.

Remember when you didn't have to worry about spoilers until the product actually released? Peppridge Farm remembers. (Not talking about OP, obviously)

Ironhound said:

Should I delete it? I was fuckin excited ok?

Sorry, I kinda got off on the wrong foot. I just didn't want to be spoiled. :(

I think I have done at least a partially good job at not caving in to the need to take along look at any of the recent streams that had popped up about the game (still gave a short peek at some them but not enough to spoil anything I think). Just enough to make me get a little pumped up about the game, and also make me wonder how various things will turn out.

I saw the same video, it was hilarious, the player could barely get a hold of the analog camera cause he set the sensitivity way too high, and he at often times forgets to use any weapon other than the pistol, but aside that, you can see the game is gonna be really fun.

The grenades are unlimited? That's just weird for me, more weirder than the electric pistol spits out empty bullet cartridges even though the pistol bullets is unlimited! XD

Chickensoup101 said:

The grenades are unlimited? That's just weird for me, more weirder than the electric pistol spits out empty bullet cartridges even though the pistol bullets is unlimited! XD

One does not simply explain Doom logic.

Chickensoup101 said:

And Doomguy can carry 400 pounds of fully loaded firearms and run full speed indefinitely...so what? lol

I'll ignore ALL streams and Youtubers playing this game until Friday.

Chickensoup101 said:

At least they explain both things in the lore. (which still is very cringe-worthy ;) )

I Still got a video, recorded it using Fraps right from youtube before it was banned (Call me rude) .

HellVain said:

Not into Mordor, of course. :P

HellVain said:

In the true Doom logic, the Doomguy/Doomslayer wouldn't use any grenades.

Ironhound said:

The level design was fantastic. I saw all kinds of nooks and crannies, and it looked like a lot of the paths looped back around on themselves making for big open areas, unlike say.. Painkiller or Serious Sam. It feels like classic doom level design to me (...)

I don't understand this. From what I’ve seen, the first mission is practically made of two arenas and nothing else (the blue one and the big outdoor area). I'm ok with it, since it's the first stage, but this is not classic design at all.

Rosenrot said:

In the true Doom logic, the Doomguy/Doomslayer wouldn't use any grenades.

He uses grenades in Doom 3, though. I'm guessing the reason Classic Doom didn't have grenades was either not thinking about it at the time or just the engine didn't allow for it at the time, although I'm guessing it's the former because even Duke 3D kinda had grenades. I doubt it was an aversion to grenades since even the original Quake had a grenade launcher and the second one had hand thrown ones.

Noiser said:

I don't understand this. From what I’ve seen, the first mission is practically made of two arenas and nothing else (the blue one and the big outdoor area). I'm ok with it, since it's the first stage, but this is not classic design at all.

you have to look at it from an exploration standpoint. Arenas themselves are even fairly open to the player for combat, but the remaining parts and sections of the level are essentially handed out to the player to look for secrets and the such, and that's besides the combat.

Guest MIND
Buckshot said:

A new DOOM title may not have the impact to the gaming world it once did... but it'll be a launch that I won't forget.

That's because it's already been done before with Doom 1 and 2.