Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Ribbiks said:

cool looking, but is that shot on like... gamma-4 or something?

Close! Gamma 3. I hadn't thought about it, but I guess I shouldn't be designing for gamma 3...

Neato. Really like atmosphere of this level. I'm working on my first wad. Not much, just one room, but yeah. Have some problems with stairs, but I'll manage.

darkhog said:

Neato. Really like atmosphere of this level. I'm working on my first wad. Not much, just one room, but yeah. Have some problems with stairs, but I'll manage.

What format are you using? A lot of people recommend that you start out in Doom format. Personally I feel like GZDooM is a bit more robust. If you are going for a DooM feel I would recommend using DooM format - only because it will help you learn the limitations of the engine. You also will have the benefit of reaching a larger audience because of the compatibility.

YouTube has a lot of really good videos for basic to intermediate stuff. You can even find some basic DECORATE stuff on there as well. If you do have a quick editing question you'll reach a lot more people in the Editing forum thread, "Ask a misc. editing Question"

Checkout "Chubzdoomer" [chubz doomer] on YouTube. I'm sure I saw a tutorial on stairs. Your best bet for search yields is, "doom X tutorial" (where X equals the feature). This method will get you somewhat up to snuff... after that... ...it's a lot of pulling your hair out.

scifista42 said:

I'm pretty sure I already saw this exact thing in one of your 32-over-32 wads.

It's the same concept "The Arcane Sanctuary". but this one is gonna be more true to the concept I wanted, since I have more experience with mapping since then :)

Hopefully it isn't to tacky to post on my own thread.

I've been working on a Castle themed .wad a la Castlevania.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/87156-castleveinyeah/

It's coming together quiet nicely. (I think.)

Screens:

Spoiler

There more screenshots on my thread, but I'll probably change the title of it to something else because I just found out someone else is already doing a Castlevania project.

I recently uploaded (earlier today) the newest-ish version of the project with some guns and decorations from Realm667 (some personal credits are given in my thread). I'm not really set on anything yet. I'll likely keep a flashlight hand in the mod.

Feel free to snoop around. Maps 3, 4 and 5 are bareable, but with limited encounters. Please, "Kill Monsters" and roam around. Try and find the secrets in Map 03 or 04 without cheating.

Mainly I'm focusing on making a level that makes sense... kind of like Castlevania. Each level was a section of the castle and they did it very cohesively in a way that made sense and created a bigger image. All of the maps will have at least one section from the previous maps.

I'm working on a way to make it easy to get lost. I'm experimenting with some different ideas, but I'm finding it harder than it might seem. Map 05 is not set to the correct lighting... it's too bright and it makes the flashlight kind of pointless.

As I stated earlier... I came across a .wad in the same vein as mine and reading inspired some really cool ideas. Fleshing out exactly how it will work may be a little harder than I thought. At some point the players reflexes and speed will be tested in a race against lava.

I hope to pull of some cool platforming.

If anyone wants to talk about it, PM me.

jazzmaster9 said:

It's the same concept "The Arcane Sanctuary". but this one is gonna be more true to the concept I wanted, since I have more experience with mapping since then :)

I immediately think, "Diablo II"... The Blood Witch, specifically.

Your screens look like you have the potential to make a pretty atmospheric map. I - personally - would be worried about encounters on rails like yours. It could easily get out of hand with lots of projectiles and no cover.

Of course... this is your beta and you have a while to go, I'm sure, but that's what I think.

everennui said:

I immediately think, "Diablo II"... The Blood Witch, specifically.

Your screens look like you have the potential to make a pretty atmospheric map. I - personally - would be worried about encounters on rails like yours. It could easily get out of hand with lots of projectiles and no cover.

Of course... this is your beta and you have a while to go, I'm sure, but that's what I think.

Gameplay wise, I'm gonna look at Doom64's Into the Void for inspiration. They are both the same concept.

Making a cyberpunk-style vanilla Doom 2 map, with some additional textures for the vibe.

Also can't remember who made this sky, but it's just amazing.

Katamori said:

Also can't remember who made this sky, but it's just amazing.

It's taken from plums' skystravaganza.

LOL, so THAT'S why that diamond-shaped roof light was so familiar!!

Quite amazing actually, plums already noted in the picture thread that he's the source. By far the best city sky I've seen in years.

Okie doke... an update. This one is taking awhile, but she'll be epic.

Story... Years have passed since Doomguy destroyed the Icon of Sin, he sits down to play Doom 2016. He vomits so hard after laughing at the Cyberdemon World of Warcraft skin, and spilling his beer all over his pants, it teleports him into the nightmare of DOOM once more. After fighting his way out, knee deep in slain demons, he crosses a massive chasm and descends into a fiery abyss. Lava pours from everywhere, demons lurk around every corner; his fight takes him to an underground stronghold...

Another update on NMAREPAL.Wad, added a PSX DOOM like palette via Sector_SetColor to add a even more creepy flavor. Working on MAP02 atm. MAP03 will be a nightmare (No pun intended) to do due to how huge it is and 3D floor abuse.

A Heretic map which may actually turn out to be one of an episode since I've done the geometry of this one and just want to make more geometry; not in the mood yet for populating with monsters and testing even though that's my favourite part. Guess I'm saving the best til last here.

Some boom map I started working on friday. So far, I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm experimenting with larger manoeuvering spaces so that the map doesn't feel cramped and the player doesn't bump into details and stuff.

I'm also trying out boom scrollers (voodoo dolls, etc...) in order to have different actions activate in sequences. This map will be for complevel -9 (if I ever release it).

I've deleted my ice map since I didn't like where I was going with it. Lost interest in it. This map is just a side map from my other larger project/map but, I feel that I need to take breathers from it and make simpler stuff.

Anyways, here is an album containing screens so far:

https://imgur.com/a/4ZyUc

Oh, this map uses the cc4-tex pack btw.

Omega: I'm loving the sound of it; can't wait to play it!

Jay: I always love a good Heretic map!

I started learning how to make maps about a week ago and I'd love it if someone could critique the map I've just made.
The architecture is pretty basic but I've done my best to make it look okay and I think it's a fairly fun if linear map. It'd be cool if I could get some idea of what you all think works and what doesn't.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ac9666myiiuvr0l/Spooky_processing.wad

The_Trigger said:

Some boom map I started working on friday. So far, I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm experimenting with larger manoeuvering spaces so that the map doesn't feel cramped and the player doesn't bump into details and stuff.

I'm also trying out boom scrollers (voodoo dolls, etc...) in order to have different actions activate in sequences. This map will be for complevel -9 (if I ever release it).

I've deleted my ice map since I didn't like where I was going with it. Lost interest in it. This map is just a side map from my other larger project/map but, I feel that I need to take breathers from it and make simpler stuff.

Anyways, here is an album containing screens so far:

https://imgur.com/a/4ZyUc

Oh, this map uses the cc4-tex pack btw.

That looks great. Really consistent theme from the looks of it. I like the WWII bunker style of the architecture.

TheOligopolist said:

I started learning how to make maps about a week ago and I'd love it if someone could critique the map I've just made.
The architecture is pretty basic but I've done my best to make it look okay and I think it's a fairly fun if linear map. It'd be cool if I could get some idea of what you all think works and what doesn't.

https://i.sli.mg/f9BHb0.pnghttps://i.sli.mg/MxIXQD.png

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ac9666myiiuvr0l/Spooky_processing.wad

I liked the outdoor area (the one in your screenshot). The indoors with the default startan textures were rather linear and lacking in detail. I didn't like that teleporter trap at the beginning, it went on for too long with too many enemies and I stood behind the door shooting them as they appeared. That trap at the end with the Revenants triggered too early for me - they appeared before I dropped down so I sniped them from the elevated platform.

Still, it was pretty good for a beginner's map. Back when I started, mine was a gigantic startan room where I spent hours upon hours figuring out how doors and linedefs worked.

MrSkeltal said:

I liked the outdoor area (the one in your screenshot). The indoors with the default startan textures were rather linear and lacking in detail. I didn't like that teleporter trap at the beginning, it went on for too long with too many enemies and I stood behind the door shooting them as they appeared. That trap at the end with the Revenants triggered too early for me - they appeared before I dropped down so I sniped them from the elevated platform.

Still, it was pretty good for a beginner's map. Back when I started, mine was a gigantic startan room where I spent hours upon hours figuring out how doors and linedefs worked.

Thanks for your feedback.
I'll tone down the monsters in that first teleporter trap and I think I'll get rid of the stairs at the end and then move onto a new map. Hopefully I can make something a little more interesting now that I've figured out how the basics work.

This map started as an entry for Mayhem 1500 but I couldn't finish in time. It has since expanded into a sprawling city map that feel like a mix of Doom2 and certain Evilution levels. It's just about finished and will be included in my WIP episode.

Spoiler