Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enforcer

My thoughts on the game!

Well since I'm like the only (maybe not) guy on this forum who got the game early here are my impressions! (Sorry for my English)

The game is great! It looks great, it feels great and it plays great. The world is very detailed. Wires, sparks and steaming pipes are everywhere. Everything is blinking, alarms are going off. Really atmospheric and moody sci-fi stuff here. The early levels are especially awesome. I can say right now (though I haven't beat the game yet) the E3 Foundry level will be my favorite level. The levels are huge (some of them are FUCKING HUGE!) and the exploration side of the game is fantastic. The are a lot and I mean a lot of secrets in every level. The combat is AMAZING! (Playing it on UV) Monsters just keep on coming. You will constantly be fighting like 4 Revenants, 3 Mancubi, 10 or so Imps, 5 Hell Soldiers + 15 or so zombies at the same time. They really want to rip off your face and eat it. Enemie AI is very agressive. Imps are constantly chasing you. They are always behind your back and so are the Hell Knights. The Hell Knights are very agile and are always in your face and they will not stop chasing you until you destroy them! Well. .they are all really agressive but these two really stand out. Each enemie has multiple attacks and can surprise you and kill you very quickly. Even an Imp can take away half of your health with a charged fireball. And believe me you will shit your pants when you will encounter the Baron for the first time :) He is amazing! And he will make you run from him like a little bitch! :) When there are two of them you will literally panic. You always have to move. If you will get stuck in the corner you are dead. Classic Doom stuff like what enemies should I kill first is in full force here. You are always thinking on the fly and you must act quickly if you want to survive. Okay, your weapons are very hard hitting and they are really fun to shoot. I'm simply in love with the Combat Shotgun. Something about it feels so fucking right. Same goes with the SSG! SSG simply tears through your enemies especially when you "upgrade" it! BOOM! He's gone! BOOM! He's gone! Awesome! Shotguns are great and so are the rest of the weapons. And the BFG! ! ! ! OH MY GOD! ! ! ! Wow. .I don't want to spoil anything but it will become your best friend in the later levels. WHAM! Poor little demons :) I really loved the weapon upgrade system. Rune trials felt very arcadey and I have mixed feelings about them. Although I have to say there were pretty fun challenges. But they kinda ruined the flow of some levels and I will just leave it at that. Music is great. Especially when you fighting demos. There are pretty awesome guitar rifs that will get you pumped with adrenaline. The ambience music is ok. But not very dark or moody as I would like it too be. Also ambience music is kinda too repetitive. Okay things that sucked hard. The physics in this game is a shitty broken mess. Same goes for the ragdoll physics. Now I understand why they made dead bodies burn away. Corpses constantly fucking up and getting stuck in the "furniture" and make that annoying sound. I'm sure some of you will know what I'm talking about. Some objects like barrels and gas tanks simply roll around or bounce around without stoping and it's annoying. I don't know what they were thinking. The physics "engine" is terrible. Something you can see in an indie title. It's a mess. I really hope they will adress this in the future updates. Okay. The Glory Kills. They are great. But iD took a lot of animations seen in the E3 trailers out and now you can only perform them with the Berserk powerup. The Glory Kills are not just some eye candy but a huge part of the game and it feels solid. Yes, you will see the same animations over and over again but you won't get tired of them. Believe me it's really fun to do them and this system can save your life. I remember I had 10 hp in a heat of battle and I started hunting down weak enemies just to get my 10 hp from them. I really like this system + the animations are really fast. Some animations feel a bit clunky but nothing super terrible. Player death animations are in. They are a bit broken sometimes but when it works they are great. For example Hell Knight punching the hell out of you on the ground and it all finishes with him stepping on your face :D It was pretty badass! So much story in this game. So much enemie info, facility info, cult info. But you can easily say fuck that shit and ignore it all and you will still know what is going on. But if you want to know everything about the "lore" (can't believe I just said that :D ) it's there. What can I say. I've been waiting for this game FOR YEARS and I'm very pleased with it. I love this game <3 I constantly had a huge smile on my face and even now as I'm writing this shit I want to get home as quickly as possible and resume my game! It's really good and it feels like a DOOM GAME! I think a lot of Doom fans on this forum will adore this game. Thank you for your patience and feel free to ask me any questions about the mechanics and what not. God I wan't to play it right now! :) The gameplay is very addictive!

Sorry. A bit messy. But it's the best I can do :) And AirRaid please don't be mad about this post. I know you've made a review thread for something like this but it's technically not a review. Just wanted to share my thoughts! :*

Ok! How far are you and how much time it took you? As for phisics well - ragdol dancing and making annoying sounds was in id tech since Rage. Same BS. Don't be surprised about phisics though it's a trade off.

Sounds great so far, thank you for your first impressions.

Even though i will play it this evening too, are there any people who tell you constantly what to do? You know like in the most games when they tell you stuff like ... "okay, now head back to the elevator and search the blabla, then proceed to the powercore and place the fuse. But be aware there are some blabla ...."

" ration side of the game is fantastic. The are a lot and I mean a lot of secrets in every level. The combat is AMAZING! (Playing it on UV) Monsters just keep on coming. You will constantly be fighting like 4 Revenants, 3 Mancubi, 10 or so Imps, 5 Hell Soldiers + 15 or so zombies at the same time. They really want to rip off your face and eat it. Enemie AI is very agressive. Imps are constantly chasing you. They are always behind your back and so are the Hell Knights. "

I'M SOLD!!!

id.dav said:

Ok! How far are you and how much time it took you? As for phisics well - ragdol dancing and making annoying sounds was in id tech since Rage. Same BS. Don't be surprised about phisics though it's a trade off.

Ragdoll bouncing is really fucking annoying! Pretty far. 9 or so hours in. I've seen every area that was shown in the stream and trailers etc but the "story" is just starting to unfold. I don't know but it doesn't feel like the game will end anytime soon.

Otus said:

Sounds great so far, thank you for your first impressions.

Even though i will play it this evening too, are there any people who tell you constantly what to do? You know like in the most games when they tell you stuff like ... "okay, now head back to the elevator and search the blabla, then proceed to the powercore and place the fuse. But be aware there are some blabla ...."

Yup. There are. But not in that stupid Dead Space way. .Go here and do that, now go here and do this, faster you fat fuck! In this game "Doom guy" doesn't give a fuck. And he's not taking orders from anybody!

Sigh, I'm a new member so I can't post a thread. Hey there guys, followed this forum for a long time but never registered.

Wondering if anyone has a way we can VPN to get the game sooner, Austrailia seems to get the game nine hours earlier than us. Anyone got a solution or fancy making a thread about it?

iNood said:

Sigh, I'm a new member so I can't post a thread. Hey there guys, followed this forum for a long time but never registered.

Wondering if anyone has a way we can VPN to get the game sooner, Austrailia seems to get the game nine hours earlier than us. Anyone got a solution or fancy making a thread about it?

Connect to a free, australian or new-zealand VPN, configure your Steam account accordingly, and hope for the best. (and please be aware what it means if your whole internet traffic runs over an VPN-server whose admins/owners you don't know).

I am currently trying it on a spare machine, and I am getting terrible downstream in Steam for the pre-load. So much so, that the pre-load won't finish that much earlier, and with the 5.2 GB day-one-patch to go after that, I guess I won't be faster on this machine than on my other rig. Might have picked the wrong VPN ;)

tuo said:

Sorry for beeing an ass in advance, but: Paragraphs! Use them! I won't read that...

Tried to format so it easier to read.

Sweet! Thanks man.

Enforcer said:

Ragdoll bouncing is really fucking annoying! Pretty far. 9 or so hours in. I've seen every area that was shown in the stream and trailers etc but the "story" is just starting to unfold. I don't know but it doesn't feel like the game will end anytime soon.

So basically the same generally issues with ragdolls that other games may have. Does it have the usual floppy fish ragdolls?

tuo said:

Connect to a free, australian or new-zealand VPN, configure your Steam account accordingly, and hope for the best. (and please be aware what it means if your whole internet traffic runs over an VPN-server whose admins/owners you don't know).

I am currently trying it on a spare machine, and I am getting terrible downstream in Steam for the pre-load. So much so, that the pre-load won't finish that much earlier, and with the 5.2 GB day-one-patch to go after that, I guess I won't be faster on this machine than on my other rig. Might have picked the wrong VPN ;)

Thanks, Tuo. I'll let you know if I find a decent VPN, I'd imagine I won't though since it's literally at the other side of the world from where I am in the UK! Which one was it you used, by the way?

Enforcer said:

The Glory Kills are not just some eye candy but a huge part of the game and it feels solid. Yes, you will see the same animations over and over again but you won't get tired of them. Believe me it's really fun to do them and this system can save your life.

Why are people still saying that glory kills are a huge part of the game? I don't get it.

I watched all the new streams and videos again, and came to a conclusion that glory kills always drop +5 health, +10 if you are lucky, when you already have 100 hp or more which is not the case with regular kills, regular kills don't give anything when you have 100 hp or more. On the other hand if you have less than 100 hp, then regardless of how you kill an enemy you always get loads of health, especially when you are low. Therefore glory kills give more health only when you already have over 100 hp which is not a life saving/threatening situation.

Enforcer said:

I remember I had 10 hp in a heat of battle and I started hunting down weak enemies just to get my 10 hp from them.

You could have killed him with a gun and you would still get those 10 hp.

Chickensoup101 said:

So hows the Spider Mastermind? Just describe your battle with her without spoiling :3

No sign of Spider Mastermind so far! Cyberdemon was pretty badass though.

Hofmann said:

Why are people still saying that glory kills are a huge part of the game? I don't get it.

I watched all the new streams and videos again, and came to a conclusion that glory kills always drop +5 health, +10 if you are lucky, when you already have 100 hp or more which is not the case with regular kills, regular kills don't give anything when you have 100 hp or more. On the other hand if you have less than 100 hp, then regardless of how you kill an enemy you always get loads of health, especially when you are low. Therefore glory kills give more health only when you already have over 100 hp which is not a life saving/threatening situation.

I had thought it was a min of 5 hp from piñata drops based on the sp stream (unless I just saw it wrong).

Hofmann said:

There is enough empirical evidence that there is the chance that you don't get anything from killing enemies without a glory kill (even if under 100 hp), while I have yet to see a glory kill that did not drop stuff.

But please go on with your agenda...

LittleBurger said:

I had thought it was a min of 5 hp from piñata drops based on the sp stream (unless I just saw it wrong).

5 hp when you are over 100 hp from glory kills, 0 hp from regular.

That all sounds really good!

Doomguy seems to have is own angry personality in this game. Can you see his face at some point in the game? Does he talk to other characters?

Hofmann said:

Play the game and you will understand. Nope. You can shoot a demon and he won't drop anything.

In before Hofmann tells someone who actually played the game that he is wrong.

Enforcer said:

No sign of Spider Mastermind so far! Cyberdemon was pretty badass though.

How good is the cyberdemon battle?

Tetzlaff said:

That all sounds really good!

Doomguy seems to have is own angry personality in this game. Can you see his face at some point in the game? Does he talk to other characters?

Not a word is coming from the player. And no you can't see his face. Only in the suit upgrade screen. And even then you can only see his nose :D

tuo said:

There is enough empirical evidence that there is the chance that you don't get anything from killing enemies without a glory kill (even if under 100 hp), while I have yet to see a glory kill that did not drop stuff.

But please go on with your agenda...

Don't know what you've been watching but I've watched everything and haven't seen one case when regular kills don't drop anything when you are under 100, especially when you are low when they drop loads of crap.

Enforcer said:

Play the game and you will understand. Nope. You can shoot a demon and he won't drop anything.

Does ammo drop from them? I could have sworn I saw a pinkie demon get killed and drop a decent amount of ammo on the sp stream. Unless they decided to change that at the last moment.

id.dav said:

How good is the cyberdemon battle?

Considering that this is a shooter the Ceberdemon battle was pretty awesome! Kicked my ass 3 times before I killed him. I liked it!

Hofmann said:

Don't know what you've been watching but I've watched everything and haven't seen one case when regular kills don't drop anything when you are under 100, especially when you are low when they drop loads of crap.

You know, I just opened a random streamers MP4. Doomguy is at 61 Health, glory kills a Hell Knight, gets to 86, turns around and kills an Imp with Shotung => no health drop.

That was within a couple of seconds of searching...I have seen it so many times now...

If you happen to be in possesion of "Doom 4 gameplay.mp4" (the one mentioned here earlier, where people complained because it has "Why?" written under it): go to 8:25
And there are other occurences in this video.

LittleBurger said:

Does ammo drop from them? I could have sworn I saw a pinkie demon get killed and drop a decent amount of ammo on the sp stream. Unless they decided to change that at the last moment.

Yup. Enemies drop ammo sometimes. You can upgrade your suit (maybe not suit. .don't remember) and enemies will drop armor and even BFG ammo!