Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enforcer

My thoughts on the game!

id.dav said:

Ok! How complex level are compared to Foundry wich is now pretty much considered to be the best level so far?

I got lost in the next one. I have been playing through the first hell level for like an hour and a half (!!!) and it is still not done. Hell looks OUTSTANDING! And the music man...terrific!

Still dont like chainsaw giving too much ammo though. Imba as shit.

chubz said:

Man, this game's level design is outstanding. I turned off the compass and objective markers and I've already gotten lost in the Foundry with a yellow keycard, trying to find the yellow door. It's just so massive and there's so much to explore, I'm almost overwhelmed by it! I can't even tell you the last FPS that made me feel that way. And on top of that, I've already come across a couple blue key doors, but haven't yet found the blue key itself! My God, it's just like classic DOOM!

This right here lets me know that everything is gonna be alright :DDD Fuck yes! Best news I've read yet!

DooM_RO said:

I got lost in the next one. I have been playing through the first hell level for like an hour and a half (!!!) and it is still not done. Hell looks OUTSTANDING! And the music man...terrific!

I wonder if they will add an option to toggle it to an extent or a variation of difficulty modes to change that (though I sort of get that it is there to give you things, have you used it yet to kill anything you wanted dead quickly?).

Can't wait for Friday (will be playing the game the rest of the day once I leave work that day).

LittleBurger said:

That's good to know, I was going to play with most of the toggleable things off aside from the hud. Is there a general purpose button for 'using' things (or do you just punch things to use them?)?

You press E to use everything. There's even an option to turn off the "Press E" prompts in case you don't want to see them anymore.

DooM_RO said:

I don't like the chainsaw mechanic at all. To me it doesn't feel right, and since it's a separate key (rather than being mapped to 1-0 or the weapon wheel) I'm constantly forgetting to use it. I really wish they just made the chainsaw a risky, but sometimes effective CQB weapon just like in the original DOOM.

That's really one of the few gripes I have so far.

EDIT: Just a correction: You actually can select the chainsaw by pressing 1 twice. Pressing 1 the first time selects your pistol. In that sense, it's kind of like switching between the chainsaw and your fists in the original games.

chubz said:

You press E to use everything. There's even an option to toggle the "Press E" prompts in case you don't want to see them anymore.

Sounds good to me (games that don't let you turn some variation of it off annoy me to a degree), it's not like you really need to know the button to use things the first time you use it(or look it up when seeing what the bindings for the controls are).

DooM_RO said:

But is chainsaw justified? Do you really run out of almost all ammo?

I echo the others. Game honestly looks pretty great! but really not sure how I feel about the drops and chainsaw. Glory kills.. ehh. Lol.

chubz said:

I don't like the chainsaw mechanic at all. To me it doesn't feel right, and since it's a separate key (rather than being mapped to 1-0 or the weapon wheel) I'm constantly forgetting to use it. I really wish they just made the chainsaw a risky, but sometimes effective CQB weapon just like in the original DOOM.

That's really one of the few gripes I have so far.

I remember seeing the chainsaw bug out once when it was used (during one of those recent leaked streams that had popped up (before they got taken down quickly)). It seemed to quickly kill the demon (without going into the kill animation and it was looked sort of just like a side swipe with it) but I am not sure if it had dropped anything though (also can't really go back and see either).

Whymes5 said:

I echo the others. Game honestly looks pretty great! but really not sure how I feel about the drops and chainsaw. Glory kills.. ehh. Lol.

The glory kills are thankfully totally optional. I haven't even used them like 75% of the time. They're just meant to give you a small amount of health, and they can also be useful for killing enemies without wasting any ammunition. I'm kind of surprised how well they fit into the gameplay overall, and they never feel forced on you, ever, which is especially great.

LittleBurger said:

I remember seeing the chainsaw bug out once when it was used (during one of those recent leaked streams that had popped up (before they got taken down quickly)). It seemed to quickly kill the demon (without going into the kill animation and it was looked sort of just like a side swipe with it) but I am not sure if it had dropped anything though (also can't really go back and see either).

Another example of those animation bugs, the game seems full of them ><

Whymes5 said:

Another example of those animation bugs, the game seems full of them ><

Seemed like a good animation bug to me then, I sort of thought it was maybe some alternate more natural way to use the thing (like some charged up swing of the chainsaw that didn't get you stuck in a animation).

Sort of wonder why they didn't split the attacks into one being used for animation style insta kills, and the other allows you to swipe (or saw with it with a constant yet lower damage).

id.dav said:

But is chainsaw justified? Do you really run out of almost all ammo?

It takes a 6 ammo to kill a Baron.

chubz said:

The glory kills are thankfully totally optional. I haven't even used them like 75% of the time. They're just meant to give you a small amount of health, and they can also be useful for killing enemies without wasting any ammunition. I'm kind of surprised how well they fit into the gameplay overall, and they never feel forced on you, ever, which is especially great.

FUCKING YES! I KNEW IT!

DooM_RO said:

It takes a 6 ammo to kill a Baron.

I was asking do you really need to use chainsaw due to the very need in ammo replenishing?

chubz said:

Man, this game's level design is outstanding. I turned off the compass and objective markers and I've already gotten lost in the Foundry with a yellow keycard, trying to find the yellow door. It's just so massive and there's so much to explore, I'm almost overwhelmed by it! I can't even tell you the last FPS that made me feel that way. And on top of that, I've already come across a couple blue key doors, but haven't yet found the blue key itself! My God, it's just like classic DOOM!

DOUBLE FUCKING YES!

id.dav said:

I was asking do you really need to use chainsaw due to the very need in ammo replenishing?

No, there is ammo scattered throughout the level. To be honest, I haven't really used the Chainsaw all that much. I mean, I do kinda like the pinata effect it generates but it's too much.

It's the little things that bother me in this game. Like the game giving you 30-40 health per glory kill when you are under 50.

DooM_RO said:

No, there is ammo scattered throughout the level. To be honest, I haven't really used the Chainsaw all that much.

It's the little things that bother me in this game. Like the game giving you 30-40 health per glory kill when you are under 50.

Hears hoping they tone it down some via a patch (or add a toggle like option then). I can see the pinata drops working as long as they aren't over used, but that seems to not be case by what you said (think if lots of us air our voices on some way of lowering the pinata drops that they would listen?).

LittleBurger said:

Hears hoping they tone it down some via a patch (or add a toggle like option then). I can see the pinata drops working as long as they aren't over used, but that seems to not be case by what you said (think if lots of us air our voices on some way of lowering the pinata drops that they would listen?).

The good thing is that we can modify it in our snapmap levels.

DooM_RO said:

The good thing is that we can modify it in our snapmap levels.

Can they be toned down to various degrees in SnapMap (or is it just a all or nothing type of thing)?

LittleBurger said:

Can they be toned down to various degrees in SnapMap (or is it just a all or nothing type of thing)?

They said it can be fine tuned.

DooM_RO said:

How many hours are you in so far?

Hofmann said:

How many hours are you in so far?

6. I got lost a few times though. But it was a good feeling...if that makes sense.

Hofmann said:

They said it can be fine tuned.

Sort of hope some degree of that can be moved over to sp then (though likely not to that large of an extent if they are to finely merged with it).

Does the audio seem any better when not heard from a someones stream?

DooM_RO said:

No, there is ammo scattered throughout the level. To be honest, I haven't really used the Chainsaw all that much. I mean, I do kinda like the pinata effect it generates but it's too much.

Is there A REAL NEED in using different weapons? What if I just spam rockets or gauss shots all the time? Will I run out of ammo for those?

id.dav said:

Is there A REAL NEED in using different weapons? What if I just spam rockets or gauss shots all the time? Will I run out of ammo for those?

If you keep on using a type of ammo, it will eventually run out.

Also, how's weapon key bindings? Does it go from 1 being pistol/chainsaw/fists, 2 being SSG/shotgun, 3 being HAR/PR, etc?

Almonds said:

If you keep on using a type of ammo, it will eventually run out.

Also, how's weapon key bindings? Does it go from 1 being pistol/chainsaw/fists, 2 being SSG/shotgun, 3 being HAR/PR, etc?

1 Pistol
2 Shotgun
3 Plasma
4 HAR
5 Rocket Launcher
6 Super Shotgun
7 Gauss
8 Chaingung
G Chainsaw
T BFG

yeah...it's weird ;) (but basically the order in which at least I managed to get the weapons (excluding G and T))

i just saw some gameplay, it looks amazing. Noticed the "Doom Slayer" is now the "Doom Marine"?

tuo said:

1 Pistol
2 Shotgun
3 Plasma
4 HAR
5 Rocket Launcher
6 Super Shotgun
7 Gauss
8 Chaingung
G Chainsaw
T BFG

yeah...it's weird ;) (but basically the order in which at least I managed to get the weapons (excluding G and T))

Oh god, that weapon selection order, that is some bizarre shit.

You can change those on the PC version though, right?