Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Ultimatum - Riding on the Backs of Giants [Now on /idgames!]

/idgames downloab

I’ve had this idea for a community project for quite some time about five, six years or so. The idea is this: nine people will sign up to make a map. When the project begins, all nine mappers will be PM’ed one of nine different limitations from popular limitation projects of the past. Once the mapper gets the limitation, they CANNOT change it to another, and they CANNOT make exceptions. It’s designed to force mappers out of their comfort zone. All of the final maps will be assembled as an episode for Doom 1 once they’ve all been completed.

The project will be held from May 17th 2016 – May 31st 2016, giving participants two weeks to finish their maps. All maps will be expected to be turned in by the end. I'm not being as lax about letting people finish maps when they want, I did that with Switcheroom and the majority of map making took one month while bug testing took over two years. After testing and some balancing if necessary the maps will be combined into one wad and released to the public.

Port: Limit-Removing
IWAD: Doom 1/Ultimate Doom (You can consider this an extra limitation, no SSG or Doom II enemies)
Music: You can use pretty much any MIDI; Doom, non-Doom, or your own creation.
Graphics: Stock textures and sprites, aside from the new sky texture created by Da Werecat:

I won't be strict about map themes, I expect some of them to come out fairly bizarre. That's why I'm giving the WAD an overall otherworldly vibe with the sky and titlescreen.

The nine possible limitations you might get are as follows:

1 - 1024x1024: You only have a 1024x1024 space for the player to move around in. You’re allowed to add decoration outside this area, but the player cannot access it.
2 - 1 Monster: You can only use one monster type for the entire map. Your choice as to which one!
3 - 10 Sectors: You’re only allowed to use 10 sectors, period.
4 - 5 Rooms: Only five rooms are allowed in the entire map. See here for details.
5 - Fifty Shades of GRAYTALL: You can only use the textures DOORTRAK, GRAYTALL and FIREBLU1. For flats, you can only use F_SKY1 and one flat of your choice.
6 - 64:64: You can only place vertices on a 64x64 unit grid.
7 - 100 Lines: You cannot use more than 100 lines on the map.
8 - 50 Monsters: You have to use exactly 50 monsters, no more no less.
9 - 1 Hour Speedmap: Outside bugtesting, you have one hour to make the layout, monster and object placement of an entire map.

The maps will be organized according to theme and difficulty after they've been finished. There’s no pressure to add any secret exits as the secret map will just be added into the main map rotation.

Mapper Slots:
1: Libor_John66 - [Unnamed] (Fifty Shades of GRAYTALL)
2: walter confalonieri - Halls of Judgement (10 Sectors)
3: scifista42 - Missed deadline
4: joe-ilya - Fucked up little town (Five Rooms of Doom)
5: DoomLover234 - Missed deadline
6: Olroda - VORTEX (1024x1024)
7: Dragonfly - Pestilence (1 Hour Speedmap)
8: Death Egg - Nothing's Underbelly (64:64)
9: Pinchy - Hextech (50 Monsters)

Backup Mappers:

Katamori

Anyone who signs up after the first nine slots are claimed will be added as backup mappers, in the event that for whatever reason someone has to drop out before or during the mapping session.

Any questions? Comments? Criticsm? Noting of the fact that this forum has too many fucking community projects? That's what the topic's for.

AD_79 said:

Oi! What happened to Doom 64 for Doom II?

BaronOfStuff has been the leader of the for quite some time. I got too busy to lead it at that time due to irl issues so if anyone knows about the state of that project it'd be him.

Community projects are the spirit of the community, I'm happy if there's a lot of them.

I'm open for 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8.

I'll put you down for the first slot since they aren't listed in the order of the final layout. Just because it's only going to be 9 maps I'll keep it to one map for you so others can participate, but definitely list you as a backup mapper for sure. (unless you meant you'd want any of those maps)

That's a perfect choice, because it's a bit far, so I'll see what I can do, especially if busy times are coming.

I'd definitely have 60 minutes for a map even in the worst case. :D

The 2nd half of May sounds like a good time for me to do some serious mapping. Sign me up.

EDIT: This has just reminded me that MAYhem might be held at the same time too, but whatever, I've never finished any map for MAYhem.

I haven't really thought of an ultimate doom episode CP. I might consider if I should contribute or not. but we'll see.

joe-ilya said:

Can I get all limitations at one? If so, I would like them all and to be a mapper for this.

I have no idea if a map like that would even be possible... Or at least extremely difficult to pull off, especially with only have an hour to keep eight other limitations in mind. If you're fine with taking one of the nine though I'll put you down.

Death Egg said:

I have no idea if a map like that would even be possible... Or at least extremely difficult to pull off, especially with only have an hour to keep eight other limitations in mind.

All nine limitations at once would certainly be doable, as none of the nine really conflict with eachother in a way that would make it impossible. However, it's likely that the end result wouldn't be all that fun to play or good quality, especially considering the one hour limit and one monster type limitations.

Death Egg said:

I have no idea if a map like that would even be possible...

Existence of such a map sounds possible, but its good quality highly improbable. EDIT: ninjaed.

joe-ilya said:

Can I get all limitations at one? If so, I would like them all and to be a mapper for this.

For parody purposes, I've made a similar map for Doomworld Mega Project 2013, you can check out the result. I wouldn't really recommend doing it.

I've got a few ideas for my map already, but what about weapon and monster progression? Any limitations we may need to be aware of?

The only possible limitation is using 1 type of monster, if you get that option (that is, as explained in OP, taken randomly from deathegg)...

For the rest, is pretty much free for item placement...

Whew, time flies by! Only four days until the start of the project and we still need two more people, plus any alerts if anyone wants to drop out!

Death Egg, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

joe-ilya said:

Are you going to make a map yourself too?

Figure it's best I do, wasn't going to at first since I thought people might think I'd take one of the easiest map slots for myself instead of randomizing but there's still two more slots to go so...

Once I get off work tonight send pm's to everyone containing the limitation they have to work with. Good luck to everyone involved!

Thanks, and good luck!

I have been looking forward to this for two weeks, now.