Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM easter eggs / references / injokes

Here is a thread for posting all the references to older Doom games (or other id games, or whatever else) that you come across while playing.

I'll start out with some of the achievements:

E1M1 - received for beating the first level. Named after the first level of Doom, obviously.

Knee-Deep in the Dead - received for beating the game. Named after the first episode of Doom.

IDKFA - received for earning the masteries for all weapon mods. Named after the cheat code in Doom / Doom 2 that gave you all weapons / ammo / keys.

Rip and Tear - received for performing a glory kill on all common enemy types in the campaign. Named after a catchphrase from the Doom comic book.

IDDQD - received for upgrading all runes. Named after the Doom / Doom 2 cheat code for god mode.

IPXSETUP.EXE - received for winning a multiplayer match. Named after one of the programs used to set up a multiplayer game in Doom / Doom 2.

Shareware - received for making your own SnapMap level. Named after the shareware model of software distribution, of which id software was a big proponent back in the 90s.

No Rest for the Living - received for playing 5 snapmap levels. Named after the expansion WAD of the same name that was developed for Doom 2 XBLA.

Entryway - received for completing the snapmap tutorials. Named after the title of Map01 in Doom 2.

Shoot it Until it Dies - received for killing the Cyberdemon. Named after a fake protip image made by yours truly.

The BFG seems to share a little bit of DNA with the *cough* Bio Force Gun from the much-maligned Doom movie.

Getting gibbed while playing a classic recreation level will show a familiar face inside the helmet:

I just want to know who's head is on a spike this time around, since Marty said there will definitely be one.

Whoever finds it first will be king.

The Civ said:

I just want to know who's head is on a spike this time around, since Marty said there will definitely be one.

Whoever finds it first will be king.

Probably Daisy.

From the "DOOM Single-player Preview" while looking at the codex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txmv2qFRuxI&list=PLB60F5590E713F60F&index=8

At 9:25 "If you have any new suggestions to improve the work environment while working your tenure in Res Ops, please submit suggestion form WAD-E1M4 to your Command Controller..."

At 9:40 "For access to these locations, new advocates must submit a Delta-Q Delta form to the Departmental Enforcer."

So referencey, so easter-eggy, so perfection.

Phobos Anomaly said:

please submit suggestion form WAD-E1M4 to your Command Controller

Just to make it a little more clear: E1M4 of Doom is titled "Command Control."

I believe there are a ton of goofy references and "lore" on the module descriptions in Snapmap

sponge said:

I believe there are a ton of goofy references and "lore" on the module descriptions in Snapmap

The yellow lighting's description says something about it creating a dramatic effect.

Why is the doom guy smiling if he's dead? Why wouldn't they give you the bloody death face? My mind is beyond boggled. Nice little nod to the classic there; but I'm still lost. Or is he not dead there?

In Hell, there is a skeleton with a Skyrim helmet, who has taken an arrow to the knee.

Shredder said:

I did not expect to see something like that in Doom. Why the Skyrim reference? :)

Because Bethesda and they probably don't mind them referencing their IP. Either way, hilarious easter egg, as someone who's played plenty of Skyrim. I appreciate these guys have such a good sense of humor.

Job said:

Either way, hilarious easter egg, as someone who's played plenty of Skyrim. I appreciate these guys have such a good sense of humor.

But it's a literal meme that's been overused, spammed, and was honestly never funny in the first place.
It's so fucking old too. It was cringworthy even in games 4 years ago.
I just don't see the need beat the dead horse by putting a really, really stale joke in your game, especially 5 years after the fact.

The Civ said:

But it's a literal meme that's been overused, spammed, and was honestly never funny in the first place.
It's so fucking old too. It was cringworthy even in games 4 years ago.
I just don't see the need beat the dead horse by putting a really, really stale joke in your game, especially 5 years after the fact.

Well based on the pic, the horse is already past dead and into the sleeping draugr stage of sorts.

LittleBurger said:

Well based on the pic, the horse is already past dead and into the sleeping draugr stage of sorts.

Looks like the horse's owner didn't pony up for the add-on armor.

mistercow said:

This game has a match 3 mini game in it with classic doom sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNXW6efelKU

IdMOM_DJ: Donna Jackson, long time office manager and "id mom"
Olivia P.: Olivia Pierce, the game's main antagonist
K-C10UD: Kevin Cloud, id artist and sole remaining member of original Doom team
RPADuffy: Presumably Robert Duffy, an programmer at id
ShaleVomit: apparently someone at id with no real internet footprint.
Tenacious_Diaz: Programmer at id, I'm guessing the guy who coded this.

Scores:

12101993: The original Doom release date (Dec 10 1993)
9261983: I'm gonna guess the birthday of Mr. Diaz
5132016: Doom 2016's release date
2014630: Not sure - the original teaser trailer was released around June 10 2014, not June 30. A baby's birthday maybe?
832004: Doom 3's release date
666666: duh
592014: Maybe the day Mark Diaz was hired?

Not sure if it's an easter egg or not but tracks E1M2 and E1M5 are remade for the game. I really liked E1M5.

MIDIocrites said:

The head on a stick has been found.

Still, no signs of the developer's head on a spike yet? :( I'm wondering that what's inside the head of final boss this time, by the way.

There are various animations for picking up Doomguy bobblehead collectibles. This one:

the post-brofist finger-wiggle retreat might be a reference to a recurring joke in Big Hero 6.