Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

A New Doom Game Came Out

A new Doom game was released today. It is called "Doom." In it you once again play as the Doomguy and you shoot a large number of monsters. Early reports are that it is fun. You can read about it at the official website or pick it up for PC or consoles.

congratulations, id. i can't imagine what the long and torturous dev process was that brought this to release, but i'm sure it will be an interesting read, and on the eventuality that i pick this up i'm sure i'll have fun playing it.

Sounds like one of those ree-boots Hollywood is fond of. Hopefully it's better than most of them!

I knew there had to be a reason why I woke up with morning wood today.

And I'll take that any chance I can get these days.

Angry Saint said:

I've seen pwads announced in the doomworld news with more emphasis.

That's the joke. </Ranier Wolfcastle>

I'll bet John Carmack and John Romero would both be proud.
But no one can ever replace them, nor replicate their greatness. NO ONE.

Naked Snake said:

That's the joke. </Ranier Wolfcastle>

Oh, hi. How's life treating you?

It turns to be better than I expected so far. It plays really well, runs smoothly at 60fps on my PC, there are some gimmicks like glory kills I am not used to yet, but it seems very fun to play. Of course I won't compare it with classic Doom. Maybe you can't mimic classic Doom anymore or that's not the purpose anymore for modern titles. I believe I'll finish it and then forget and go back to classic Doom or Brutal Doom and play tons of WAD.

Angry Saint said:

I've seen pwads announced in the doomworld news with more emphasis.

It'll have more impact here once it gets uploaded to /idgames.

I demand they throw out the engine this is using and replace it with GZDoom.

BluePineapple72 said:

Any possibilities for new doomworld picture things for doom 4 at the top left?

The Doomguy doll? (If it isn't featured already?)

Background picture could be upside down STARTAN.

It takes forever to download Doom. I wonder if simply buying it from the brick-and-mortar store (if even available) would have been quicker.

princetontiger said:

I feel like there was more pomp and circumstance for Doom 3.

Yeah, because Doom 3 was a far bigger leap from Doom 2 than Doom (2016) from Doom 3. I also think Doom 3's announcement was a surprise (for me it surely was; I thought the Doom series had been retired and forgotten). This thread shows plentifully how lukewarm the reaction is. I hope I'll be able to enjoy it once it finishes downloading and installing.

printz said:

It takes forever to download Doom. I wonder if simply buying it from the brick-and-mortar store (if even available) would have been quicker.

That's an interesting thought. I haven't bought a physical box copy of a pc game in a long time since Steam came on the scene.

I get the feeling you would be buying a box with a digital code inside. Or a CD that would fit only a portion of the game with the rest having to download.

Yeah, nevermind that. 55GB is too much for optical media... And optical media is seriously getting obsolete. And there's no equivalent read-only physical media, so the only way these days to get software is by downloading... which allows disk space abuses like 55GB to happen (I feel sorry for those people with monthly data limits).

kuchitsu said:

Looking forward to the incompetent The /newstuff Chronicles review!

As someone pointed out to me a few weeks ago, you could always write a competent one yourself!

printz said:

Yeah, nevermind that. 55GB is too much for optical media... And optical media is seriously getting obsolete. And there's no equivalent read-only physical media, so the only way these days to get software is by downloading.

do USB flash drives come in 64GB size yet?