Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hex11

Undeath '94 - a new vanilla Doom episode (beta)

So it's taken a bit longer than I expected, but I'll have my computer back tomorrow morning and I hope to have an updated E1M5 by the end of the day, sorry for the delay.

There's no rush.

Also, some other small things to fix:
E1M4 needs P2-4 COOP starts, and at least 4 DM positions
E1M9 needs P4 COOP start, and at least 4 DM positions
E2M2 (Joe's map) needs P2-4 COOP starts

Try to make sure your COOP and DM positions are reasonable. Like don't put COOP behind keyed door (I guess normally they just start around the same spot). And make sure DM are scattered around enough and have some kind of weapon nearby. Kinda hard to do with a small map like E2M2, but so long as they're not in line-of-sight, that should be good enough in this case.

Demo: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jklz65q34yzd142/unde1m5_rdwpa_demo.lmp

Guess it's sort of an FDA, since some of the changes at the beginning are quite significant.

Yeah, this version plays a lot better. The circular rink area is still a bit awkward movement-wise but is better too (I'm not sure what changed there -- maybe it's psychological, because of the earlier parts playing a lot smoothly). Felt like playing aggressively, and the map facilitates that well enough.

--

I'll give the new e1m3 a look one of these days; I usually don't replay longer maps that often.

So for that titlepic, I was thinking something like this:

Or maybe that's too gonzo?

Yeah, I think that's too crazy. Especially since after the titlepic you get just normal Doom maps and not some weird stuff, so it seems unfitting to me.

Well here's new beta with all the fixes made so far:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/h94lc2

Btw, Memfis don't change the geometry of your map, because I want to keep that demo where I get bitchslapped by the imp and then he finishes off the sergeant too! (I think you can add/move "things" without even needing to run node builder).

Also the third demo freezes up the game. I recorded it with Chocolate Doom (v2.2.1), but the freeze also happens when demo3 runs in dosbox. Guess I'll have to record another demo, but left it in this beta in case it's a Chocolate Doom bug.

Played the last version yesterday with Dosbox (Doom 1.9) and got these issues:

hex11 said:

Also the third demo freezes up the game. I recorded it with Chocolate Doom (v2.2.1), but the freeze also happens when demo3 runs in dosbox. Guess I'll have to record another demo, but left it in this beta in case it's a Chocolate Doom bug.

I was told in you of this issue, but I think it's a problem with the music used...

Also that E1M1 visplane problem you mentioned the last time is still present in the map, I was thinking that you fixed that... but I probably understood bad, my mistake.

It turns out the demo3 problem was because it was recorded with different settings than the first two demos. Apparently there's a speed difference somewhere between NM skill and UV+fast. Anyway, I recorded another demo today and they all run ok now.

I didn't try to fix the E1M1 stuff though.

If you have one of those fancy visplane checking tools (Visplane Explorer, etc.) that shows a "heat map" of zones with possible visplane errors, then try to examine your map with that. Maybe it will give a clue as to where exactly lies the problem (like by using triangulation from whatever hot points exist).

Otherwise, we have to do some guesswork and remove some 2-sided linedefs or sectors with floor/ceiling height differences that are visible from the crash point, until the problem goes away.

I guess that's one way to fix the problem! OK looks good. Now I think you also wanted to replace the E1M8 music, did you find a track?

Yeah, it's so 94 there is a HOM on the first map. :) (press linedef 937 and keep standing on one of the activated boxes)