Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How flexible is this?

Still too buys with the campaign to check out snapmap. For those who have messed around with the tools, is snapmap flexible enough to create something worthwhile or is it too limited? I am mostly interested in creating single player maps.

You can make SP maps if you want, though it's pretty obvious the tool was made with multiplayer and co-op in mind. The huge crosshairs and numbers from the multiplayer are there alongside the two weapon limit which you can't disable.

There are quite a lot of prefabs to snap together, although you'll still have to design your layout to fit with the available pieces. You're not going to recreate original doom levels or real-world locations, but there's more than enough options to design a unique layout. There are also props like walls that you can use to break up larger rooms or block off areas.

Design wise there's a couple dozen different "atmosphere" options and all the different clutter and decal layers that you can toggle. You can add point lights and lots of different FX.

Where it really shines though is in the scripting. All those props and FX can be scripted to really give you limitless gameplay options. Way more than vanilla Doom ever offered, and in some ways it even rivals ACS scripting.

For example, with just a couple of clicks you could: trigger a door to close behind the player, start flashing the lights red, play an ominous sound, and spawn a horde of imps.

MrSkeltal said:

the two weapon limit which you can't disable.

This isn't possible because I have seen snapmap footage where weapons are put on the maps as pickups. Not to mention that it would be fucking stupid if the program which has been halted as having extreme customization would not have something as straight forward as allowing more than 2 weapons at once.

hardcore_gamer said:

This isn't possible because I have seen snapmap footage where weapons are put on the maps as pickups. Not to mention that it would be fucking stupid if the program which has been halted as having extreme customization would not have something as straight forward as allowing more than 2 weapons at once.

It uses multiplayer settings to run, and multiplayer has a 2 weapon limit. Future updates may reverse this

MrSkeltal said:

You can make SP maps if you want, though it's pretty obvious the tool was made with multiplayer and co-op in mind. The huge crosshairs and numbers from the multiplayer are there alongside the two weapon limit which you can't disable.

You can tune the gameplay for single player easily. Those damage numbers for instance are toggle able with the gameplay settings object. You can even turn off score altogether.

There HAS to be a way of turning off the 2 weapon limit. If there isn't, then Besheda is basically guilty of lying by telling us that we can easily create single player maps. Simply being able to throw a bunch of monsters into a room does not make snapmap a single player editor. I am legit pissed right now.

mikeo007 said:

You can tune the gameplay for single player easily. Those damage numbers for instance are toggle able with the gameplay settings object. You can even turn off score altogether.

That's when you're making the map yourself, though. You can't disable the numbers in other people's maps unless you actually download and edit it.
There's also the huge crosshair and hitmarkers that you straight-up can't turn off.

Mr. Freeze said:

It uses multiplayer settings to run, and multiplayer has a 2 weapon limit. Future updates may reverse this

Please god let this be true.

hardcore_gamer said:

There HAS to be a way of turning off the 2 weapon limit. If there isn't, then Besheda is basically guilty of lying by telling us that we can easily create single player maps. Simply being able to throw a bunch of monsters into a room does not make snapmap a single player editor. I am legit pissed right now.

I remember in the Snapmap livestream they said you could change what different buttons on a player's controller would do, maybe there's a way to assign a button to take away the player's current weapon and give them a new one? I'm not very experienced with Snapmap yet but I'll see if I can give it a go.

You could change their load out with a button press, although that might be jarring since I think the ammo and stuff would change too. Could be wrong though.

AwesomeO-789 said:

I remember in the Snapmap livestream they said you could change what different buttons on a player's controller would do, maybe there's a way to assign a button to take away the player's current weapon and give them a new one? I'm not very experienced with Snapmap yet but I'll see if I can give it a go.

That can't work if all snapmaps are suppose to work on all platforms.

hardcore_gamer said:

That can't work if all snapmaps are suppose to work on all platforms.

Edit: Here's a demo of allowing the player to have more than 2 weapons: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/snapmap/87972-you-can-have-more-than-2-weapons-in-snapmap/

Its not by the actual key bind, it's by the action that the key performs. So the options are:
Use
Jump
Crouch
Equipment
Weapon Switch
User Input 1
Scoreboard
Fire Weapon
Weapon Mod
User Input 2
Melee Attack
Taunt 1
Taunt 2
Taunt 3
Taunt 4

It is possible just tried it. The only limitation is that every time you switch loadouts ammo goes back up to maximum, I'm sure there's a workaround for that though. Uploading a video example in a second

Edit: May or may not have it up within the next hour. Dunno yet

AwesomeO-789 said:

It is possible just tried it. The only limitation is that every time you switch loadouts ammo goes back up to maximum

This needs to be fixed or else this method is useless. Can't just give the player unlimited ammo.

hardcore_gamer said:

This needs to be fixed or else this method is useless. Can't just give the player unlimited ammo.

I played a map earlier that took away the player's ammo. Surely you could have it be limited ammo through integers and the take inventory commands?

Mike, while I am really impressed by what you made you must know in your heart that this does not solve it.

- Still no way to directly select the right weapon (be it wheel or direct keys)
- Still no actual mods with switching
- It will be hell to link every ammo box and or weapon pickup to this logic (if its even feasible beyond the simple sequence you have created here)

All we will get now is people saying, no! it is possible to have multiple weapons with snapmap! Look here link/video. While its actually far from being an actual solution.

Again, love the ingenuity I'm seeing here but at this point this is just ammo for the snapmap devs to stick to their guns and not actually properly solve it.