Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

"E1M2" in Snapmap

Someone made a video showing off the E1M2 recreation in Snapmap that people were clamoring for. It's... a valiant effort?

I'd say a decent effort given the limitations of SnapMap (so I guess there are no 4 way hallway prefabs that could have been used for the maze area then? As you could have likely gotten a better rendition (in a way) of that part on the TimeSplitters mapmaker).

Not very impressive. The lamest being the "lowering chainsaw" being a stack of boxes which disappears after flipping the switch. The "acid pools" looked crappy too by being a bunch of small green pools copy pasted in a square grid.

Yikes... I don't know if I would have even guessed this was E1M2 if it didn't say so. Gigantic interchangeable empty hallways and random tiling grids of green blobs isn't really an impressive combination to show off what SnapMap is supposedly capable of.

I don't blame them for not wanting to show it in the stream, now. They probably knew that it would get ripped to shreds because it blatantly exposes the weaknesses of SnapMap. There needs to be individual control of walls/floors/ceilings. This looks like a big arena maybe vaguely resembling E1M2.

esselfortium said:

Yikes... I don't know if I would have even guessed this was E1M2 if it didn't say so. Gigantic interchangeable empty hallways and random tiling grids of green blobs isn't really an impressive combination to show off what SnapMap is supposedly capable of.

Snapmap seems to focus more on making new game modes than architecture.

LittleBurger said:

I'd say a decent effort given the limitations of SnapMap (so I guess there are no 4 way hallway prefabs that could have been used for the maze area then? As you could have likely gotten a better rendition (in a way) of that part on the TimeSplitters mapmaker).

It's strange because there are definitely better prefabs to use for the maze portion at least. There are 4 way junctions and 90 degree corners, so they definitely could have done that better.

mikeo007 said:

It's strange because there are definitely better prefabs to use for the maze portion at least. There are 4 way junctions and 90 degree corners, so they definitely could have done that better.

Makes me wonder why they tried to go the cheapy looking wall objects route then.

LittleBurger said:

Makes me wonder why they tried to go the cheapy looking wall objects route then.

It was a weird decision, even using those weird walls since you can make your own walls that look better than that. Maybe all the tools/prefabs weren't available when they made this one.

lol Snapmap has those tiny 'coupler' rooms that would have made a better computer maze, possibly, and I would have settled for combining the stairs leading up to the slime bend into one room, the Snap-part that's the square stairs ascending a level or two over the ACTUAL slimepit.

Who knows, if I can change it sound myself....

Here's a user attempt at a remake. All I can say is... he tried.

I recall, at one point, Adam Sassler was reviewing a dev and asked if someone could remake E1M1 and the guy said with a laugh that they could try. This is probably why he said that, because getting something resembling the original in all this limitation isn't exactly a picnic.

MrGlide said:

I think this shows that more options are needed for snap map.

I wonder when the free updates to snapmap will start happening.

LittleBurger said:

I wonder when the free updates to snapmap will start happening.

I'v no clue, but now that I'v beaten story mode and am focasing on snap map, it's not as bad as I first thought, it just suchs ass for replecating things. We'll see. I think we'll see alot more come up then just free snap map updates. Can't wait for this already amazing game to grow even further. I'm so happy.

MetroidJunkie said:

Here's a user attempt at a remake. All I can say is... he tried.

I recall, at one point, Adam Sassler was reviewing a dev and asked if someone could remake E1M1 and the guy said with a laugh that they could try. This is probably why he said that, because getting something resembling the original in all this limitation isn't exactly a picnic.

I actually just played someone's rendition of E1M1 that I thought was actually REALLY FRIGGIN AWESOME. You guys really should play it,

the Map ID: SB4Z4B8G

redrage said:

Yes he has a good sense of humor about it all. :)

Yeah, I really like Paul's sense of humor regarding these games.

If we ask for ANYTHING in the DLC's, it would be for Snap-rooms that use the computer texture found recessed in so. E walls, and are maze-like. Hell, there's potential because of the mantling, where you could habe a three 'story' tangle but now there's gaps.

Oh, and playable prop versions of said 'Co computer-walls.'

I think all around there needs to be more prefabs that allow for easier stacked rooms/areas that interconnect in interesting ways. Definitely less "room with doors as connectors" and more "room with entire wall or two as connectors," I think that'd lessen the inevitable problem of sameness considerably and give people more freedom. Also, you know, maybe more unorthagonal structures in addition to barricade structures that look more like walls that belong there as opposed to random barricades.

I played this one a couple hours ago. It's a decent snapmap map. I still hate the fact that you can only carry two guns in this shit.

Jaxxoon R said:

I think all around there needs to be more prefabs that allow for easier stacked rooms/areas that interconnect in interesting ways. Definitely less "room with doors as connectors" and more "room with entire wall or two as connectors," I think that'd lessen the inevitable problem of sameness considerably and give people more freedom. Also, you know, maybe more unorthagonal structures in addition to barricade structures that look more like walls that belong there as opposed to random barricades.

When you try to connect two prefabs, it should automatically add a door at that point.