Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the past and doom

lets take a trip on my time machine. ok its not a time machine its just a worm duct-taped to an alarm clock, but lets switch in on anyway.

the year is 1997. i am in 7th grade and i am still dooming it up strong. infact doom is the only game i play at this point, however i do own the quake mission packs but no quake to use them on. i check out doom sites like king reols and such, the ID software ftp is a great place. life in 7th grade sucks badly, but i am doing fine. I finaly buy quake2 and love it, howeve it runs choppy on my 133 pentium. Doom is still #1( hey to this day it still is)
strangly i cant remeber anything other than doom and that computer, little else comes to mind. Infact only up to the last 2 years, every thing is a blurr in my mind. fragmented and jagged, however the games and doom stick out clear as water. a year later i remeber finding doomworld, it rocked. i snagged quake by this time and began playing it more. the computer had no problems with quake, however many mods did not like it. i was amazed at what quake and quake 2 could do but i was going to see more. agian nothing to my memory than confusion and fragments. in 1999 i got half-life, but it ran like a dead seal sliding on sandpaper, on the 133. but it was still impressive to me. also i joined the doomworld fourms as doomgod1234. and i met somthing i loved, doom ports, the first one i tried was a older DOS based legacy. then i played the old ass zdoom 1.16.

i miss those days of gameing glory, however i can only remeber that clearly and what ever else was going on in my life was probaly not worth reliving. i have not look forward to many current games now out. and doom3 is the only i really want, maybe that one just makes the others look bad

My first contact with Doom was the Doom Shareware I found on a German Macintosh Magazine "MacMagazin" in 1995. You know, Doom came out pretty late for us :) Before Doom, I played Marathon and still like that game.

At this time, I did not have a PowerMac, my machine was a Quadra with a Motorola 68040 cpu, so it was not that fast - anyway, I was just so happy with the game.

Then - the gates of the internet had not opened for me - I read of a level CD with 1.000 Levels. "D!ZoneMac". I cannot tell you how mad I was for this CD. On the back of the box (both sides were show in a gamezine), there was a screenshot that looked very promising (later I found out that it was a "simulated" (fake) screenshot. 1.000 Levels, I would have killed for this CD and it took me one year to find it. Then, in 1998 or 1999 - I finally got access to the internet (actually, the internet sucked me in), found Doomworld and many other great sites, like SirRobin´s Doom Castle, Doomoscope/Wadoscope, Doom YellowPages, etc.

I have played many other games and all id games, but Doom is still my favourite with no question.

I’m a stupid little year sixer who got caught in that who “Violence in games is bad”. I cheat may ass off at any game I can, and I have lots of flight Sims. I cheated to buggry on a sware ware copy of doom (early copy to). I have no appreciation for quality. *Sigh* at least I believed doom was better then mortal combat. I did paly commander keen a lot on my 486 Dx/66 (or something)

Final year of primary school. I’m over my bout of insanity. I still cheat my ass off. I play sim city 2000 a lot. I’m keeping a cynical eye on an up coming game called quake…

I preach to everyone I see that Duke Nukem 3d is better then quake (you see, I have the shear ware version). But then I actually play quake. Whoa. and because I didn’t know what a console was, I couldn’t cheat. And I discovered that games are more fun when you don’t cheat! What a concept! Towards the very end of the year, I finally play doom (SW) without cheats. first I play it on the easiest skill (forgotten what it was now :)), finish it, and decide to go all the way up to UV. Heh.

I make it my business to get my hands on a registered copy of doom. I ended up swapping a box full of demo disks for it. I play it to death. I went on a crusade to find every last secret level in the game (and succeeded). I pine for quake. ( I thought It wouldn’t run on my 486). then I installed the sw version, and to my delight, It ran! I quickly got the full version, and then played that to death. Quake II looks too good for me. :(

I see half-life for the first time. yummy

I get my computer upgraded to a p120. (stop laughing) It runs quake 2 so for the time being, I’m happy. I also get doom II and final doom.

We buy a 486. A little pack of games comes with it, including Stellar 7, King's Quest V, and of course, shareware Doom. After reading the storyline, my parents forbid me to play it. Naturally, I tried to sneak in a game, but got scared shitless by the Imps on the crooked bridge in E1M1 and quickly quit the game. Finally, on New Years Eve, a friend of my parents was at our New Year's party and thought it looked interesting. So then of course my parents are all for the idea that I play it. So I load it up, thinking I'll crap out again but I discovered it wasn't so bad and got all the way to E1M7 on HMP before dying =)

Then the next year my cousin gets Doom2, and I order registered Doom. We play them, then swap games. I'm hooked by then, and begin playing wads such as UAC_dead and apocalypse. Fun times. Within the next several years, I get my hands on Heretic, Hexen, and Duke3d. By then I've started frequenting sites on the internet like the Adrenaline Vault and Functional Entropy and playing megawads like Memento Mori and Icarus. When Doomworld is created, I begin going there too. I never really became a part of the Doom Community myself other than testing for a few projects like the Talosian Incident until I signed up for the Doomworld news comments sometime during fall of 2000, and then for the forums in December 2000. I pretty much just fucked around playing wads and ZDaemon and stuff until early this year, when I got fed up with myself and began making levels of my own.

RailGunner said:

I first played doom when i was 5.
I played duke nukem 3d shareware when i was 4 (yes i saw the shitty titties)

heh

I got my first PC after doom came out. I Originally played just the shareware version but later got Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom. I did some editing with some tools I got from a friend (I think he got them off a CD). After Final Doom came out, several friends and I formed our own 'team' and made Decamatch I and II. At this point I didnt have an Internet connection at all, so I got everything on floppy discs from other people. Around this time I developed wadptr as well to compress wads, as well as various other doom tools which were less useful. When the source came out I managed to obtain a copy of the original dosdoom port which I hacked upon for a while and eventually abandoned. I started again basing my work on Lee Killough's MBF and created SMMU, which is now the base for Eternity.

Uh, various other stuff: free hissy, freedoom, blah

fraggle said: and created SMMU

...the re-implementation of the "classic BFG" in SMMU is really hot and everyone should try this.

Is there a weapon mod anywhere that can be used in other ports like jdoom? I am shivering right now when I imagine how sweet the Classic BFG would look under OpenGL (despite I am still a big fan of the original graphics of Doom)!

Does anyone know where to get this weapon?

My first encounter with Doom was in a games magazine. It was near when Doom first came out, obviously, and the article had screenshots and descriptions of every monster in the game, and gave strategies for beating them. I was fascinated by this article, and read it over and over, trying to imagine what the game would be like.

Years later, the magazine and its article had long since gone. I hardly ever thought about Doom. Then, I first got my internet connection (I was late to get one) and started downloading lots of shareware and freeware of a site called The Gamer's Inn. After a while I noticed they had the Doom shareware there and I thought, "yeah I'm gonna try that".

I played the shareware version, and at first wasn't too impressed by it, but got to like it more and more as I went through it. I played completely through Knee-Deep several times over the next year or two, and decided it was time to get the full game.

When I got the registered Doom, I stayed up most of the night to play the new episodes. I can't remember if I beat Inferno that night or only Shores of Hell, I just remember I played it a lot.
I got Doom 2 shortly after getting Doom, but didn't play through it right away for some reason (I forget why).

After I played through Doom 2, I started getting some pwads. I wished that I could play multiplayer, but this was still before source ports and there was no one in the local area for me to dial up to. I did find a bot made with dehacked once, and it was horrible. Somewhere along the line I got Final Doom, and played through TNT (to this day, I still haven't gone through the entirety of Plutonia. I've been to maybe level 9 or so.)

After a time I discovered my first source port. It was an early version of Doom Legacy, and it sucked. I don't remember what the version number was, but it crashed a lot and was generally bad. I discarded it pretty quickly and went back to using Doom95.

The discovery of Doombot and ZCajun for bot play and ZDaemon for internet play was a great thing for me. Finally I could play the cool-ass deathmatch mode that had been denied to me so long. I liked this a lot, and started downloading some DM pwads.

I made a website dedicated to Doom, kept it up for a while, then got annoyed with it and took it down. I have recently made a new site to put on my webspace, and though it's no longer dedicated solely to Doom, it still has a section of Doom there.

And now we come to today, I have ZDoom and Legacy (which no longer sucks!) as well as the DoomBot 5.1 which is much better than the bots I first played with, and also the new AC Bot which might be even better than the DoomBot. I've registered to DoomWorld and have been posting here fairly often, and I've even created 3 pwads of my own for deathmatch. I play on ZDaemon or Doom Connector from time to time, and despite having played newer games I still consider Doom to be one of the best games ever.

As a side note, here are some of the misconceptions that I had formed after reading the magazine article but before playing the game:
* There are 6 barons of hell at the end of Knee Deep.
* Cacodemons are very powerful.
* The cyberdemon lives in a maze, with a small place in it that you could hide in and safely shoot him from. (I'm still not sure what the article meant about that narrow space. I assume it was talking about the gaps between the "tower" and the pentagram/skull blocks.)
* Lots of lost souls, cacodemons and barons live with the spiderdemon.
* Spectres are a humanoid creature that sneaks up behind you in the dark and stabs you in the back with sharp claws.

Anyways, that's the history of me & Doom as far as I can remember. It's been a long post, I hope I didn't bore you too much ^_^;

Draconio said:

* The cyberdemon lives in a maze, with a small place in it that you could hide in and safely shoot him from. (I'm still not sure what the article meant about that narrow space. I assume it was talking about the gaps between the "tower" and the pentagram/skull blocks.)

You can shoot the cybie from behind the switch in the very center of the map. Your rockets will fly above the switch, but his won't. There's a compet-n demo which shows that, but i'm too lazy to go look for it.

1990: My parents get a computer and an internet connection that we would call into like a bbs to the university where my mom teaches.

1993: My dad brings home the doom shareware and I play it to death, my parents finally buy the full version.

2002: I am still trying to beat the game.

My personal Doom timelime =)

1980:
I was born.

1994:
I warez Doom from a friend. I play it non-stop for many days and many nights. I later buy both Doom and Doom II.

1995:
I start editing for Doom, my first level is huge and very hard. I play deathmatch with a friend over Null-modem cable at his place, Doom DM is the best thing ever at this point.

1996-1998:
Doom interest fades somewhat, I concentrate on school and friends. I still fire it up once in a while. I also play Quake with my friends in school.

1999:
I try some editing for the more advanced ports, I find dw and lurk around a little.

2000:
I practice some more editing, but later the same year Diablo ][ arrives and Doom is layed on ice.

2001:
Diablo ][
In the fall of 2001 I finally lay off it and I turn back to Doom, this time with a huge interest, I register at DW, start playing deathmatch over csdoom, zdaemon and msn Zone. Doom DM is still the best thing ever. My editing skills are starting to evolve and I make a lot of maps. released 5 maps for oneweek.wad and also single map wads eaeuro01, eaeuro02, eagoth1, eagoth2. I begin doing some shitty runs for the excellent compet-N speedrun competition site.

2002:
Doom interest still strong, but lazyness has slowed down progress somewhat. I play Doom DM and is starting to get a lot better at it. I release the uber-detailed eaeuro03 and the 9 map episode bldnight.wad.
I start making DM maps for fun, still nothing released though. Speedrunning skills are improving slowly. In the summer 2002 I move and lose my internet connection temporarely (back now). In fall 2002 I begin studying at the university and that takes up a lot of time and energy.

2003+?:
Hopefully Doom interest will still be huge. Hopefully plut2 and millennium will be released with some of my work.

I saw doom for the first time in 94 when my dad warezed it (he warezed a lot of shit). He wouldn't let me play it, but as soon as I figured out the password, I got in and...let my friends play. Frankly, it scared me. I was like 10 years old at the time. After a while I found D! and the cheat codes then began playing with god mode and idbeholdl so I didn't shit myself. Then when I went online I downloaded stuff like raven.wad and threw that into D!. Good times, those were. Eventualy, I got into it later on and got SLIGE which eventualy led me here.

To finish off...

I pine for half-life. doom and quake keep me sain. Wile scanning the internet for wads, I come across a little site called doomworld. but don't take much notice.

I finnaly sign up at the doomworld fourms. after playing my first sorce port; Legeacy. than I try zdoom, witch starts my fanatical dooming once agian. but my p120 dies. so I get my P533! YEAH!

finnaly buy half-life and play it it death. discover soruce ports for quake, switch to ZdoomGL and Jdoom. Discover heaps of other cool games, like System shock 2, thief and aliens Vs preadtor.

Archvile64 said:

We buy a 486. A little pack of games comes with it, including Stellar 7, King's Quest V, and of course, shareware Doom. After reading the storyline, my parents forbid me to play it. Naturally, I tried to sneak in a game, but got scared shitless by the Imps on the crooked bridge in E1M1 and quickly quit the game. Finally, on New Years Eve, a friend of my parents was at our New Year's party and thought it looked interesting. So then of course my parents are all for the idea that I play it. So I load it up, thinking I'll crap out again but I discovered it wasn't so bad and got all the way to E1M7 on HMP before dying =)

Then the next year my cousin gets Doom2, and I order registered Doom. We play them, then swap games. I'm hooked by then, and begin playing wads such as UAC_dead and apocalypse. Fun times. Within the next several years, I get my hands on Heretic, Hexen, and Duke3d. By then I've started frequenting sites on the internet like the Adrenaline Vault and Functional Entropy and playing megawads like Memento Mori and Icarus. When Doomworld is created, I begin going there too. I never really became a part of the Doom Community myself other than testing for a few projects like the Talosian Incident until I signed up for the Doomworld news comments sometime during fall of 2000, and then for the forums in December 2000. I pretty much just fucked around playing wads and ZDaemon and stuff until early this year, when I got fed up with myself and began making levels of my own.

heh. let's hear it for boozed up parents.

97: Played Doom on SNES. At this point my family only has a 386.
98: Got a P200 MMX. Bought Quake, as Doom wasn't available at the shop.
99: Got internet.
00: Warezed Doom.
01: Joined Doomworld.
02: Bought Doom 2.

Heh, I remember one memorable time during my time Dooming and that was last year back in the summer. I downloaded Doom and Doom 2 levels friggin' constantly, and this, I believe, contributed to the demise of my old hard drive.
Then again, I remember coming by Doomworld and the POTD at that time talked about crosshairs in ZDoom 1.22.

Peter Heinemann said:

...the re-implementation of the "classic BFG" in SMMU is really hot and everyone should try this.

I didnt do that, it was in MBF.

Submerge said:

heh. let's hear it for boozed up parents.

Hah, boozed up? Pfft, they just wanted me to play it cause their friend wanted me to play it and didn't want to look like tightasses in front of their friend.