Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Modding support?

I hope in the future the game will have modding support and also if they can release "idstudio" as well....

Since Snapmap makes a direct jab at all he drama started by the infamous "piss filter" and that video games are made by human beings and not eldritch abominations I'd say that belief is overly cynical and unrealistic.

Jannak said:

Since Snapmap is apparently not a legitimate map editor like Doom Builder is since apparently I don't think none of the developers of the recent Doom game has ever step foot at the actual Doom community and taken notes from it and I even doubt they even know it exists.

Since Snapmap makes a direct jab at all he drama started by the infamous "piss filter" and that video games are made by human beings and not eldritch abominations I'd say that belief is overly cynical and unrealistic.

Edit: Seems you've edited your post, why's that?

I am curious over how feasible it even is to do stuff like replace/override things like texture or audio assets. At the very least I'd be interested in doing some texture modding like making exploding barrels more visually distinguished, and maybe make the monster textures even closer to the originals color-wise.

The way modern games store and read their assets seem to be getting quite different from how it was traditionally done by just reading files from an appropriate archive, like one for textures and one for audio, etc, and then just being able to override the originals by placing them in a raw folder path equivalent.

GeckoYamori said:

I am curious over how feasible it even is to do stuff like replace/override things like texture or audio assets. At the very least I'd be interested in doing some texture modding like making exploding barrels more visually distinguished, and maybe make the monster textures even closer to the originals color-wise.

I think the explosive ones could maybe have like a small glowing strip of red on them somewhere to make them stand out a slight bit (even if they are red, I usually miss them sometimes and may even end up getting myself blown up by not noticing them being there).

i think this game should have been boycotted without MOD support, but gamers jump on every shit asap! and so we get milked and slapped.

GeckoYamori said:

The way modern games store and read their assets seem to be getting quite different from how it was traditionally done by just reading files from an appropriate archive, like one for textures and one for audio, etc, and then just being able to override the originals by placing them in a raw folder path equivalent.

You are absolutely right! And this the case with id tech 5/6. You can't just replace texture cos there's non traditional texture folder...if you want to retexture imp you can do it in idStudio, but it won't take effect in game unless game map is repacked within your mod in idStudio cos data have to be embed in to map resources. Or if you make you own map from the scratch you can have everything modded there, textures, sounds, just watever you want. But to mod ingame maps id must provide those with idStudio and that is highly unlikle to happen. But if they'll release idStudio we can at least mod game balance wich is already awesome.
I mean I'm pretty sure that vanilla game can be modded with some pretty advanced scripting knowledge and then new content can be added to maps without editing those in idStudio....but it's not the way to go.
You can all forget about modding! I think Rage tool kit was the last thing that id released and that was in great degree due to Carmack's efforts.

id.dav said:

You are absolutely right! And this the case with id tech 5/6. You can't just replace texture cos there's non traditional texture folder...if you want to retexture imp you can do it in idStudio, but it won't take effect in game unless game map is repacked within your mod in idStudio cos data have to be embed in to map resources. Or if you make you own map from the scratch you can have everything modded there, textures, sounds, just watever you want. But to mod ingame maps id must provide those with idStudio and that is highly unlikle to happen. But if they'll release idStudio we can at least mod game balance wich is already awesome.
I mean I'm pretty sure that vanilla game can be modded with some pretty advanced scripting knowledge and then new content can be added to maps without editing those in idStudio....but it's not the way to go.
You can all forget about modding! I think Rage tool kit was the last thing that id released and that was in great degree due to Carmack's efforts.

I don't even know why it's being done this way now. What exactly are the development benefits for this?

My gut feeling is telling me that this is also why patches for modern games end up being so huge in size, even if it's just for seemingly trivial things.